Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is all bullshit. Everyone knows that Greg Gagne came up with everything. 

Bollocks.

Bret came up with everything for everyone. And each had a tear in their eye as they thanked him for it.

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Sure there was urban legend that Bret Hart got the sharpshooter from Konnan, not sure that's true mind

I was watching an old TV taping from December 88 yesterday and saw The Red Rooster using a sharpshooter to win over Sam Houston - first time I can recall someone using it. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Didn't Ronnie Garvin use it as well?

He beat Greg Valentine with it at Royal Rumble '90, but they called it a Reverse figure four. 

Did Riki Choshu invent it? Or does it go back further?

• Paid Members

I know Choshu used it, but don't know if he invented it. Unlikely, I'd have said. He called it the Scorpion Deathlock before Sting did, I think.

I'm fairly sure someone in British wrestling in the 80s had it, calling it the Powerlock, but can't remember who. Marty Jones?

• Paid Members

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I know Choshu used it, but don't know if he invented it. Unlikely, I'd have said. He called it the Scorpion Deathlock before Sting did, I think.

I'm fairly sure someone in British wrestling in the 80s had it, calling it the Powerlock, but can't remember who. Marty Jones?

That's right.

• Paid Members

in Bret's book he says that Pat Patterson asked him if he knew how to do a Scorpion Deathlock, and it was Konnan who showed him how to do it.

Tatsumi Fujinami used to do it - I'm not sure I've seen him do it in matches earlier than when Choshu started using it, but it's conceivable that he was using it back in the 1970s, and that he got it from elsewhere. What you tend to find is that, even if one person popularly gets credited with inventing a move, it'll turn out that someone else thought of it somewhere else, or stumbled their way into doing it once but never kept it up, years earlier - there's only so many ways you can manipulate a person's body so, especially at a time before the more overtly choreographed big spots of today, the chances of coming up with a genuinely new move are pretty slim.

• Paid Members

Just remembered, out of the blue last night, that IWA-MS once put on a show that was headlined by a Eddie Guerrero / Rey Mysterio / CM Punk triple threat match. How the even fuck.

In the space one evening this week I heard stories about Owen Hart & Dynamite Kid ribbing people. The contrast between the two is huge.

Partly in the Owen Hart episode of Dark Side Of The Ring and partly in deleted scenes posted on Twitter; Jim Cornette, D'Lo Brown, Martha & Oje Hart all told stories about Owen ribbing people.

It was usually along the lines of undoing wrestlers & referees laces during matches or making phone-calls to people pretending to be hotel reception asking them to come down in the middle of the night. Light-hearted stuff which the person being ribbed might get mildly annoyed but not too serious.

Then I listened to Danny Boy Collins being interviewed on a podcast immediately afterwards and the subject of Dynamite Kids ribs came up.

Stuff like sneaking out of pubs to push stranger's motorbikes in the river and other wrestlers being hospitalized after being duped into taking dangerously high amounts of laxitives came up. Scumbag moves imo.

Where people like Curt Hennig and Mr Fuji were probably in the middle of the scale, Dynamite & Owen were definitely at each end.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, dopper said:

In the space one evening this week I heard stories about Owen Hart & Dynamite Kid ribbing people. The contrast between the two is huge.

Partly in the Owen Hart episode of Dark Side Of The Ring and partly in deleted scenes posted on Twitter; Jim Cornette, D'Lo Brown, Martha & Oje Hart all told stories about Owen ribbing people.

It was usually along the lines of undoing wrestlers & referees laces during matches or making phone-calls to people pretending to be hotel reception asking them to come down in the middle of the night. Light-hearted stuff which the person being ribbed might get mildly annoyed but not too serious.

Then I listened to Danny Boy Collins being interviewed on a podcast immediately afterwards and the subject of Dynamite Kids ribs came up.

Stuff like sneaking out of pubs to push stranger's motorbikes in the river and other wrestlers being hospitalized after being duped into taking dangerously high amounts of laxitives came up. Scumbag moves imo.

Where people like Curt Hennig and Mr Fuji were probably in the middle of the scale, Dynamite & Owen were definitely at each end.

I seem to remember some of Fuji's being a bit on the mean spirited side. One that springs to mind is similar to the Dynamite one of pushing people's bikes in the river, was when he sneaked out and took someones entire engine out of their car. He certainly wasn't as much a cunt as the likes of Dynamite, but doing something that would cost the guy a shit load of money, and stop them making the next town on time is a shit thing to do.

Perfect sounded more of a good natured ribber on the whole, but I can imagine he crossed the line from time to time. Although the story in Bret's book of Scot Steiner tying him up and threatening to shove his thumb up his arse for about an hour for ribbing hm probably made him think twice about targeting the tougher side of the locker room...

Watching a WWE Confidential episode on the Network and the main story is the 2003 Christmas in Iraq special. 

Mildly interesting stuff but I'm watching it and wondering why Brock wasn't on the show. He was the WWE Champion at the time and I don't think he was injured, since a glance at cagematch.net shows him working matches around the time of the taping. 

Any idea why he wasn't there? Not arsed with the flight? I know this was when he was getting proper burned out but his future wife made the trip and you'd think that WWE management would want him to make an appearance. 

Also, I dunno if he's ever stated his support publicly that I know but I reckon he's all about the troops (he enlisted in the National Guard when he was 17).

Anyone shed any light? Cheers! 

19 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Watching a WWE Confidential episode on the Network and the main story is the 2003 Christmas in Iraq special. 

Mildly interesting stuff but I'm watching it and wondering why Brock wasn't on the show. He was the WWE Champion at the time and I don't think he was injured, since a glance at cagematch.net shows him working matches around the time of the taping. 

Any idea why he wasn't there? Not arsed with the flight? I know this was when he was getting proper burned out but his future wife made the trip and you'd think that WWE management would want him to make an appearance. 

Also, I dunno if he's ever stated his support publicly that I know but I reckon he's all about the troops (he enlisted in the National Guard when he was 17).

Anyone shed any light? Cheers! 

I'd have to guess that he didn't want to go, maybe not for political reasons. Could have been that they didn't want to take him off house shows for the time surrounding it. Couldn't tell you who he was working or what he was doing on TV then either. I always remembered them being Raw shows in the early days but it seems they were Smackdown.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Just remembered, out of the blue last night, that IWA-MS once put on a show that was headlined by a Eddie Guerrero / Rey Mysterio / CM Punk triple threat match. How the even fuck.

Mental when you look back at that match on paper isn't it? Must be from 2001 or very early 2002 i'm guessing when Punk was a regular main eventer in IWA-MS, Guerrero was out of WWE and working on getting back in and that short period of time between Rey's Time Warner contract expiring but before he signed with WWE.  I remember looking at tape trading lists and there were a few shows from 2001-2002 from random long dead indy promotions using talent before WWE picked them up. I always wanted to watch one from around Wrestlemania 17 time that had RVD and a few others on the card before the invasion started.