Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Not sure where was best to post this, so stuck it here.  A newspaper clipping I found on newspapers.com from back in 1989 about a bar fight involving Haku that all kicked off when a woman refused his request to "bow down to the King".  Also includes a quote of Haku telling a couple of guys who'd picked up to chairs that he was going bend them over their heads!

The-Post-Star-25-Mar1989.jpg

• Paid Members

The 'Haku is a hard bastard' stories always rubbed me up the wrong way. From what I've heard in shoots and the like, it seems most of the fights were started by lads saying wrestling is fake and Haku taking it upon himself to then kick seven shades of shit out of em. Typical insecure wrestler bullshit for the most part, I reckon.

• Moderators

It annoys me when wrestlers of the time say he could have entered early UFC and pissed it. 

Yeah because Don Frye, Coleman, or Mark Kerr wouldn't have sent him home with his ball bag in a sling. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

It annoys me when wrestlers of the time say he could have entered early UFC and pissed it. 

Yeah because Don Frye, Coleman, or Mark Kerr wouldn't have sent him home with his ball bag in a sling. 

These are the same people who insist he is the "hardest wrestler ever" despite them having someone on the roster who is a former UFC heavyweight champ.

• Paid Members

In fairness to Haku, didnt Bischoff try to work out a deal with UFC where Haku would come in and scrap with someone and Haku was like "nah, you're alright." Haku isnt the one who tends to brag about his toughness.

Steve Williams did an interview with Power Slam in 1996 talking about how he'd walk into the UFC and sort everyone out in one night or something. He was proper going with this idea he'd be in it if the money was right. This was 2 years before the Brawl for All. Imagine how badly that would have went? What they'd have done to him?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Steve Williams did an interview with Power Slam in 1996 talking about how he'd walk into the UFC and sort everyone out in one night or something. He was proper going with this idea he'd be in it if the money was right. This was 2 years before the Brawl for All. Imagine how badly that would have went? What they'd have done to him?

Halfway through the first round, it'd be the same spot MJF did, forcing Marko Stunt to pick his own nose and eat it.

• Moderators

My favourite one is Ernest Miller ruining a meeting with a view to signing between Don Frye and Easy E by constantly telling Don he'd twat everyone in UFC including him.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

In fairness to Haku, didnt Bischoff try to work out a deal with UFC where Haku would come in and scrap with someone and Haku was like "nah, you're alright." Haku isnt the one who tends to brag about his toughness.

There honestly might have been a point where Williams could have done it, but it certainly wasn't in '96. Dan Severn puts Williams over strong in his book, saying that all his success in amateur wrestling (four-time All-American, NCAA tournament finalist) came when he was basically doing it on the side of his American football playing, rather than focusing on training or anything, and that he'd have been elite level if he'd focused solely on one sport. I can't remember if he held a win over Severn back in their college days or not, but Dan definitely saw him as an equal.

One thing from the Shamrock book I found funny, given how many "tough guy" stories there are from 1980s wrestlers, is that the PWFG lads were so happy for him to come and wrestle for them because the perception at the time was that American wrestlers didn't know how to fight.

17 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It's a difficult one now, that story. I'd say the disgusting misogyny trumps the "Haku was a hard case ladzladzladz" element these days.

Veering dangerously close to "getting outraged on other people's behalf" territory there.