Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Factotum said:

Having read Bret's book recently, it got me thinking about his WCW run. Its really mad that they didn't do a Hart Foundation V NWO shot given that Davey and Jim both came in as well. I'm assuming they would have added the Canadian guys in there with them like Benoit. Would have had some interesting match-ups and lead to the Hart/Hogan match everyone wanted.

Man WCW was shit at things.

It sounds good on paper but Neidhart and Bulldog were out of their faces for that entire WCW run. There was no way that they were trusting them with any kind of high profile storyline. Not when they had such a loaded roster. I think Bischoff's actually said on 83 Weeks that he thought Davey Boy and Neidhart would've dragged Bret down rather than the other way around.

The way they used Bret was a fucking mess though.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it when I saw Davey Boy turn up on Nitro in 98 with a face the size of a basketball in a random match with Alex Wright. He looked bad. A Hart Foundation reunion in WCW sounds good in theory but Bulldog looked knackered by that point. It’s mad to think how quickly he declined because he was still in top form just a year or so earlier. He had some of the best matches of his career with Owen and Shawn in 97 and he held up his end in both. By 98 he was bloated as fuck and going downhill. Maybe he’d have got his conditioning and form back in time but then he got backdropped on Warrior’s trapdoor and his back was bollocksed. He looked better physically in his jeans phase in WWF in 99 but by then it was too late.

I think Bret did say he pitched a version of the Hart Foundation in WCW with guys like Jericho and Benoit but it obviously never got the green light. Guess that was when he’d been there a while and he was just wanting them to do something, anything, with him. It would’ve been better than nothing but, I don’t know, the USA vs Canada thing was done to death by the time Bret got to WCW. And I’m not sure where patriotism would’ve fit in with the whole NWO thing. 

Semi related but I've found it crazy that Vince doesn't like groups despite the boom period/attitude era for the whole industry was heavily based on factions, not all were great but from 96-01 you have, nwo, dx, harts, doa, nation, horseman, boriquas, corporation, ministry, radicalz, revolution.....probably a few more too.

Not in the time frame but Evolution and Undisputed Era are great too, wish they'd bring back factions now and again if they fit, heel ones vs a top face would really help them 

• Moderators

Davey Boy was done by Summer 97 really. His knee has hanging on by a thread against HBK at One Night Only. Then he blew it out early 98 in WCW during that awful feud with Mongo or the awful feud with Hennig. And it was over for him. 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, The Cutting Edge said:

Semi related but I've found it crazy that Vince doesn't like groups despite the boom period/attitude era for the whole industry was heavily based on factions, not all were great but from 96-01 you have, nwo, dx, harts, doa, nation, horseman, boriquas, corporation, ministry, radicalz, revolution.....probably a few more too.

Not in the time frame but Evolution and Undisputed Era are great too, wish they'd bring back factions now and again if they fit, heel ones vs a top face would really help them 

If Vince doesn’t like groups, whoever is controlling the shows at the moment does. Raw has got two heel factions that are always heavily featured - they seemed to be starting a third with MVP too, but may have sacked that off because it’s overkill. SmackDown has got the Forgotten Sons, and had Sami Zayn’s group before lockdown. Between the UK and US, NXT has got at least three or four gangs. 

Over the last couple of years as well, various combinations of Corbin, Orton, Ziggler, McIntyre, Lashley, Shane McMahon etc have formed groups to oppose one of the top babyfaces. 

56 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

If Vince doesn’t like groups, whoever is controlling the shows at the moment does. Raw has got two heel factions that are always heavily featured - they seemed to be starting a third with MVP too, but may have sacked that off because it’s overkill. SmackDown has got the Forgotten Sons, and had Sami Zayn’s group before lockdown. Between the UK and US, NXT has got at least three or four gangs. 

Over the last couple of years as well, various combinations of Corbin, Orton, Ziggler, McIntyre, Lashley, Shane McMahon etc have formed groups to oppose one of the top babyfaces. 

It was Triple H mentioned it on Evolution doc.

I wouldn't say those a factions, more like loose group of heels or tag teams, to me a proper group should have a name, music, gimmick etc 

Probably should be in the unpopular opinions thread but I think the WWE's sets make the wrestlers look too small

I appreciate it's to make it look like a big time show but I was watching (for God knows what reason) the entrance videos for Thunder on PS1 the other day and for some reason Buff Bagwell looked like a massive star on his, well built and the camera up close on him made him look larger than life

To sum up, wrestling was better in 1998 

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Here’s a picture from 1998, of the Survivor Series set making Steve Austin look like a little jelly baby;

8DA8936B-359F-4F20-9D87-53B5BF0A5AA6.jpeg

Well obviously that one doesn't count haha, I was meaning more Raw and Nitro, half of them looked like they'd twat their head on the Raw set of the time

On 6/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, Cannibal Man said:

The wrestling moves in a real fight things done, but if you were handy with picking stuff up dyou reckon you could hit a shoot release german suplex on somebody if you had an opening?

Oddly enough, I once saw a pedigree in a real fight in primary school. A guy got mad and went to double leg somebody, dude hooked his arms and dropped to his knees. Screaming and tears followed.

SCG Podder Luke Edwards once powerbombed somebody for a shoot in a fight/encounter that I didn't see, but my friend did and told me about years later.

• Paid Members

I powerbowmbed my friend in one of the muck about fights we used to have when I was about 22. I was four stone heavier then him and doing serious weight training at the time. Took every once of strength I had so it's no mean feat. I also broke the arm of the sofa in the flat we rented doing it. 

The outcomes are predetermined but the hazards are real.

Edited by ElCece

On 6/11/2020 at 3:13 PM, Cannibal Man said:

The wrestling moves in a real fight things done, but if you were handy with picking stuff up dyou reckon you could hit a shoot release german suplex on somebody if you had an opening?

Plenty of videos of bouncers etc picking up people from behind german suplex style and either slamming them down onto their head or such. I would say it is possible but probably quite difficult unless you are very strong or have a advantage such as the other person being drunk. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

WCW should have had a one hour show with One Man Gang, Kamala, Tenta, Neidhart, Boy Smith, Hole-In-One Darsow, John Nord, Lanny Poffo and all the other 80s lads on there. They were paying most of them anyway, might as well stick them all on the one show.

Wasn't that Saturday Night in 1999?