Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

12 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Watching Summerslam 2018. I'd completely forgotten Strowman won money in the bank. 

That's how I feel about 90% of WWE PPVs over the past few years to be honest. Watching the Undertaker documentaries, I honestly have no recollection of some of the matches.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Grecian said:

Watching Summerslam 2018. I'd completely forgotten Strowman won money in the bank. 

You mean the brilliant (hideous) nickname "Mr Monster in the Bank" hasn't stuck with you??

What examples are there of wrestlers coming up with stuff for other wrestlers - gimmicks, looks, moves, angles, matches, finishes?

I've got:

Pat Patterson with the Royal Rumble concept

Scott Hall with the Sting 'Crow' look + transformation

Hawk with Heel Doink for Matt Borne

DDP suggesting Scott Hall shave the mo and grow out some stubble as the Diamond Studd

Bruce Hart with the Hart Brothers feud, only for Bret to suggest Owen in the spot rather than Bruce

Sure there was urban legend that Bret Hart got the sharpshooter from Konnan, not sure that's true mind

Similarly Michael Hayes coming up with the Stunner for Stone Cold

Bret Hart needing a neat pinning finish for a match and Chris Jericho suggesting and showing him the La Magistral Cradle

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard

7 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

What examples are there of wrestlers coming up with stuff for other wrestlers - gimmicks, looks, moves, angles, matches, finishes?

I've got:

Pat Patterson with the Royal Rumble concept

Scott Hall with the Sting 'Crow' look + transformation

Hawk with Heel Doink for Matt Borne

DDP suggesting Scott Hall shave the mo and grow out some stubble as the Diamond Studd

Bruce Hart with the Hart Brothers feud, only for Bret to suggest Owen in the spot rather than Bruce

Sure there was urban legend that Bret Hart got the sharpshooter from Konnan, not sure that's true mind

Similarly Michael Hayes coming up with the Stunner for Stone Cold

Bret Hart needing a neat pinning finish for a match and Chris Jericho suggesting and showing him the La Magistral Cradle

Mr Perfect (or was it Marty Janetty?) told Shawn Michaels to use Sweet Chin Music as his finisher instead of the teardrop suplex as it was the "best move he had". The story is in Michael's book if anyone can verify.

30 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I feel like such a mark asking this but is there any truth to Jericho inventing the MITB match?

Some truth yes, at least according to an interview he did a few years back with Coach:

According to Jericho, many wrestlers had nothing penciled in for the upcoming WrestleMania 21 pay-per-view, so the writing team came up with the idea of throwing them all together in a big ladder match. A unique idea, right? The primary concern that arose from this though was that there was nothing for them to battle for. Fortunately, Y2J had the solution to the problem.

“It was for WrestleMania, and there were a bunch of guys with nothing to do, and some pretty big names, Kane, Edge, Christian, [Chris] Benoit, Shelton Benjamin, who was getting a push at the time,” Jericho explained. “[WWE] didn’t know what to do with us so they were trying to come up with a bunch of ideas. Then they said, ‘Well, maybe a multi [person] ladder match!’ Brian said, ‘Well, there’s nothing to go for.’ And I said, ‘What if we went for a piece of paper, like a contract, where you would get a title match the next night?'”

Vince McMahon was entirely on board and loved the concept, but he had only one demand.
The original idea Jericho came up with was to have the victor be given a title shot the following night on Monday Night Raw.

The CEO of WWE Vince McMahon was entirely on board and loved the concept of a ladder match where competitors fought for a contract leading to a future championship match, but he was insistent on only one demand. “The contract for the world title shot must be kept inside of a briefcase, damn it!”

Vince would later also revise Jericho’s original idea stating that the winner would have a full year to make their move and cash in rather than have to cash in their contract the following night on Raw. 

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/wwe-money-in-the-bank-history/