Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

This time last year, Baron Corbin was every towns favourite son. Since then I've been doing a bit of voluntary work maintaining the woods just by where I live. I am now the man who claims to be my districts favourite son. Every time I hit the meadow his tune comes into my head. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Russo's idea for booking the Invasion would be to bring in the nWo? An idea that failed miserably in real life a few months after the Invasion?

The horse had bolted a bit by then. Seemed like a bit of an after thought. Besides, I think for the first couple of months they were used well. It was the quick Hogan turn that killed it

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Russo's idea for booking the Invasion would be to bring in the nWo? An idea that failed miserably in real life a few months after the Invasion?

while Vince Russo is absolutely not the guy to pull it off, I don't think bringing in the nWo at that point is necessarily a bad idea.  You could realistically burn through the nWo early, and then move on to the Goldbergs, Stings and DDPs of the world and still be making huge money.

Russo;s idea, though, goes straight to bullshit worked shoot stuff in night one, rehashes old angles, and just needless swerves once you get to the big matches. They do this whole "Team Bischoff" vs. NWO thing, and then Team Bischoff turning on the WWF guys....well, why? If WCW were all in on it together from the get-go, why drag out a month or more of them feuding with each other, then have them team with the WWF guys and turn on them at the end? Russo seems to think that if he says the word "logic" enough times it makes it so, but swerves for swerves sake isn't logical. And the money isn't in WCW vs. NWO with some WWF involvement for a little while, it's in WCW vs. WWF.

All that aside, Russo's idea is considerably better than Jim Cornette's attempt at re-booking the Invasion when he was on the same series, which somehow involved even more worked shoot bullshit than Russo's. Though both fall prey to the same problem - they both book based on their knowledge of the product at a certain time. Cornette's idea of a WWF vs. WCW dream match is Hulk Hogan vs. Dusty Rhodes, because he's stuck in the '80s. Russo's idea of a WCW invasion storyline is to reference stuff that happened on the first Nitro, and the debut of the Outsiders, because he's stuck in the mid-90s. There's little, if any, attempt to make the story actually fit the product as it was at the time. And while some of that is excusable in that when booking the Invasion they should have reshuffled the deck a little to make room for as many dream matches as possible rather than prioritising existing WWF midcard programmes, nothing about that reads as Russo having any knowledge of the product at the time.

What comes across is one of Russo's key weaknesses. Aside from the fact that he has no real understanding of storytelling (I'm reading Jerry Jarrett's NWA-TNA diary at the moment, and that comes up a lot), and aside from the fact that he's stuck in the '90s, he has an extremely narrow frame of reference for professional wrestling, and has never shown any willingness to expand beyond that. Every interview - this one included - he brings up the same few old WWWF stalwarts to prove his worth as a wrestling fan by saying he watched them when he was a kid. And that's all he knows, the New York territory. 

There's an episode of Nitro he booked in 2000, where Jeff Jarrett has to wrestle three "wrestling legends". It turns out to be George Steele, Jimmy Snuka and Tito Santana. Because they're what passes for "wrestling legends" in the mind of Vince Russo, a guy who has only ever known the WWF. Snuka who had previously had a single match in WCW, and Santana and Steele who had never wrestled there. 

Isn't the reason they didn't bring in Hogan & Nash in 2001 due to them still preferring to sit at home and collect on their massive contracts and WWE not willing to match terms? I don't think they would have added much to the Invasion angle, if anything the inevitable nostalgia pop Hogan would have gotten would have muddied things even further and there's no way Vince would've been able to resist turning him face to cash in.

• Paid Members

I was thinking the other day whether there was untapped potential in the nWo back then. I got thinking mainly after that funny tweet about the woman who is boycotting Walmart because of them selling nWo T-shirts.

It's commonly known that WCW as a trademark was poisonous by 2001 so it couldn't be a separate brand. Even within their own angle, they moved away from it. I wonder if they explored using nWo at any point then. Either as the name for a new TV show or as the name for the invading group.

There are a couple of black marks against it. First being WCW watering it down time after time right into 2000 with their inability to come up with a second good idea. The other being that even at it's height, when it was a great shirt seller and TV and PPV business was great, WCW could never monetise "nWo" on its own. When they'd set up an nWo PPV or nWo branded Nitro, it  always bombed in numbers and critically.

However, it was always cool and WCW's failure to take advantage of it could have been attractive to Vince. He would have loved the opportunity to show how much cleverer than Bischoff he was and the eventual invasion would have had a cool callback.

I pretty much convinced myself that it would never have worked regardless because the inherent problems with the angle were political and motivated by Vince being utterly fucking butthurt. But it's interesting to think about. They'd have sold about 3 "wCw" tees to their original fanbase. But nWo could have been something that split them much more. And wouldn't have been nonsensical when they moved WWF guys over.

Has anyone done a Guest Booker type video/podcast/blog where they’ve rebooked the invasion using the guys they actually had? It’s all well and good to just pretend everyone’s available, and that Vince has turned over the asylum to the inmates with mental WCW-style contracts. And from a fantasy perspective, it’s more fun to have Sting and Goldberg and the boys, although both Cornette and Russo show why neither of them should have final say on anything.

At this point, I’m more interested in seeing someone have a go at redoing the invasion in a realistic way.

11 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Has anyone done a Guest Booker type video/podcast/blog where they’ve rebooked the invasion using the guys they actually had? It’s all well and good to just pretend everyone’s available, and that Vince has turned over the asylum to the inmates with mental WCW-style contracts. And from a fantasy perspective, it’s more fun to have Sting and Goldberg and the boys, although both Cornette and Russo show why neither of them should have final say on anything.

At this point, I’m more interested in seeing someone have a go at redoing the invasion in a realistic way.

This is why I thought Russo's made much more sense than any other I'd seen, not saying it would've been great by any means but at least from a hiring the nwo point of view, there was only Nash still under contract out of the 3 of them by April 2001 so at least bringing those 3 in was mostly achievable

Plus it didn't have Terry Funk branding the Undertaker's arse like Cornette's did

You are right though, no one does seem to have ever bothered doing one based on who they actually had under contract, I imagine even if someone tried it'd be the usual 'this is Page Falkinburg talking to Mark Calaway' bollocks about 3 weeks in

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

There's no real way to re-book it without bringing people in. That's the missed opportunity. Had they made the invaders more credible, not filled the "Alliance" with WWF guys and Stephanie and let Heyman loose on the mic a bit more it might have been a bit better but you'd still have the same problems with the locker room and Vince's ego. That said, you could maybe have signed Flair, Bischoff, Goldberg, Sting, Hogan, Hall and Nash and still had that problem. But at least those guys would have given as good as they got.