WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I salute those of you who rinse Streets of Rage 4. As much as I love it I've not gone back to it after the first few bashes. It's one of those games where I'll fill up on the lovely backdrops and the score and then just stop. I can't get pass button mashing the shit out of it, so any apparent nuances to the combat are mostly lost on me.Ā 

We've all got our repetitions, and on that note I'm having the best fun ever playing through the Master Chief collection on Steam. I feel like it's about the sixth time I've had the best fun ever playing through the Halo games. They've not aged a day to me. If anything they've gotten better. The original - revolutionary at the time - seems perfectly fresh now in an age of the more stylised, gauntlet based, anti realism shooters that came in the wake of years and years of Call of Duty's dominance. The original Halo trilogy ruled the roost before Modern Warfare came on the scene.Ā 

I started with Halo: Reach, which is the newest to get the new lick of paint. I enjoyed it but despite that it's still my least favourite of the main campaigns, even though it was meant to be Bungie's huge swan song to their development of the franchise. No halo rings, no Master Chief, no camp hoo-rah just loads of that "We've put huge effort into ensuring you empathise with your marine squad in this game" type schtick, meaning you'll have no fucking idea who anyone is, what's going on or even who you're playing as. Noble Six is a shiteĀ protagonist. Awkwardly balanced between the original Master Chief and proper say nowt characters like Doomguy and Claude from GTA III. "But it meansĀ you'reĀ the hero" I'm assuming the advertising at the time went.Ā 

Just finished the original Halo. Reach got me as excited as balls for it. It still stands up. I actually went back to the original graphics for the outdoor levels set on Halo, such was the nostalgia. They still look more ominous with the old Xbox graphics, which are perfectly serviceable properly configured to HD resolutions.Ā 

Halo 2 is next. Halo 2's the best one. It's Halo's version of Metal Gear Solid 2. It's confusing, weird, your hero's experience is robbed and you spend most of the story playing as a creepy fucker you're not used to. Everyone balked on it at the time, now they're all doing retrospectives on how good it is.Ā 

I love Halo.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 5/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, Nexus said:

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn after taking a 2 year break from it for some reason (I think I needed to uninstall stuff for other games so off it went)

Really enjoyed it, but it suffers from the same thing I hate in most other openworld games - when you open the map it's just overwhelming the stuff you can do. I basically just ignored everything and did the main questline (I was level 48 by the end of the game and the level rating thing said you only needed to be about 28 for the last mission).Ā 

I find this in a lot of openworld games too. I'm playing Arkham Knight at the moment and this is one of my big problems with it. Everywhere I go there is a riot or a fight I need to stop, or I hear some survelliance from criminals that I need to stop. It just feels like a massive list of things that are dragging me away from the main game.

I mostly play linear platformers now, I find a lot of modern games just overwhelming in scale.

• Paid Members

Jumped on Forza Horizon 4 to get my weekly spins/credits and it's given me 200 fre VIP Wheelspins. I appear not to be the only one, and it's even happening to people that don't have VIP.Ā 

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell You weren't lying about The Marauder in DOOM: Eternal. Fucking hell, what a tedious enemy. Slogged through the rest of the game and had little fun from that point on. Not only do you have more battles with him to look forward to, but they also introduce another infuriating enemy in the Arch-vile (sp?): a teleporting/hide and seek buff totem cunt. At some point along the way I'm pretty certain the story stopped being presented as tongue-in-cheek, too. That lore was boring AF.

A massive disappointment, especially after I spent the first third of the game thinking they were going to top 2016 (which is close to perfect).

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Nba 2k20 is Ā£2.50 on Switch at the moment? Can I just jump in and play basketball in it, or do I have to grind through all the microtransaction nonsense?Ā 

If anyone feels like taking a complete punt, the WWE 2K20 Deluxe Edition is massively reduced on both the PS4 Store and the Xbox store (Ā£15.99-ish, I think)

I've decided to give it a try...surely it's at least playable at this point?

Funnily enough I gave WWE 2k19 a shot again last night (never bought 2k20 for obvious reasons). Tried universe mode for the first time. Played some segment which was some weird promo mini game and was not fun or interesting in the slightest. Quit that and tried and exhibition match. Laughed at how bad the Scott Hall and Shawn Michaels character models were. Two minutes in I'm put in a submission and can't work the weird spinning escape mechanisms resulting in my character submitting.Ā 

Promptly switched off and left me longing for simpler days of Here Comes the Pain.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

If anyone feels like taking a complete punt, the WWE 2K20 Deluxe Edition is massively reduced on both the PS4 Store and the Xbox store (Ā£15.99-ish, I think)

I've decided to give it a try...surely it's at least playable at this point?

That's not that massively reduced. We were selling the deluxe for Ā£19.99 at one point not long after launch. The game is a dumpster fire.

I've waited for far better games to get reduced more than that.

Speaking of.. I started up Grand Kingdom today and it's just so good, it doesn't do much new but I'm liking the idea of hiring groups of mercenaries and playing warring nations against eachother to make some money. The battle system's fun, turn-based but with real time combos.