WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Thanks for the responses guys. I'd be playing it largely for a bit of fun and with any luck , local multiplayer. Not really looking to go the career route or online play. Would the 2016 version still be the best one to look for?

What you need is a Gamecube and a copy of NFL Street 2, I think I might boot that up myself later on. The big sports titles are all too complex now, I miss twitchy arcade fun and can't wait for Sociable Soccer to be completed.

Have any of the resident fighter fans picked up Dragon Ball FighterZ? I hear it's great for newbies of the genre but is also has MVC depth, it looks gorgeous too.

• Moderators

Yep, completely agree. I think Madden is especially complicated even for a sports game and as a result you don't really feel in control. It's not great for a bit of pick up and play fun. The last version that had that feel might have been back on the ps 1....

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Having utterly given up on Metal Gear Solid 5 after reaching the halfway point, thinking I was done, only to see there's more game left, but it's mostly just rehashing the first bit - followed by the game getting stuck on a loading screen after the last mission I attempted - I'm resisting temptation to pick up a new game tomorrow, when I get paid, as most of my paycheque is already accounted for.

I've no willpower, though, so it's probably going to be either Xenoblade for the Switch or Monster Hunter for PS4. What do people reckon?

I played through Xenoblade on the Wii, sank easily 100+ hours into it, and mostly enjoyed it - though a lot of that time was playing it with the ex around, and committing the better part of some rainy afternoons to the pursuit, and I'm less likely to have that kind of time to plough into the thing now. Also, less likely to have the patience for what I assume will be a bloody long extended tutorial section.

Monster Hunter I also had on the Wii, liked the idea of, but never really got very far in. The idea of the series has always appealed to be more than any enjoyment I've actually got out of it. But it definitely feels a better fit for PS4, so should I have a stab at it?

Any experiences of these two?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

What you need is a Gamecube and a copy of NFL Street 2, I think I might boot that up myself later on. The big sports titles are all too complex now, I miss twitchy arcade fun and can't wait for Sociable Soccer to be completed.

Will check if I have that on the MAME XBOX.

• Paid Members

I find it really hard to change Maddens. Stuck with 2010 for 6 years, and loved it, with a couple of attempts of the subsequent iterations but finding the gameplay balance all off. Finally moved to 2016, which I now really get on with, but I tried 2017 with the same issue. Think I'll be sticking with 2016 for the long haul.

• Paid Members

I  had EA Access last year. Played some FIFA, played some Mass Effect but can't really say I got my money's worth from it. I wasn't a fan of struggling through last season's championship with this season's Rovers squad. I ended up buying Mass Effect 1 & 2 at Christmas in the sales anyway. I'll keep an eye out for 3, but there was something about the second one that I didn't enjoy as much as the first. I think it was the ammo thing rather than the overheating element with the guns. I'm an awful shot so ended up wasting shedloads of bullets.

• Paid Members

Saw Spec Ops: The Line got made backwards compatible yesterday, a hugely overlooked gem from last gen. It is a mechanically average shooter, it seems at first glance the blandest game ever but it's not (and I need to keep it vague), it's one of the most haunting, horrifying gaming experiences I've had, and destroyed Dubai is an amazing setting. It's probably going for a couple of quid, give it a shot and go in as blind as you can, I wish I had (I only became interested in playing it after reading spoilers).

I've lost loads of hours watching recaps/reviews/theories etc on it since, and I rarely even do that for films.

2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Has anyone picked up Dragonball Fighterz? 

I've got it.

Finding a match online is surprisingly slow, and I'm finding the story mode a bit of a slog to play through. Mechanically though it's solid and I've had a lot of fun with it against other players.

And unlike SFV it's generous when it comes to rewarding you with it's in game currency.

If you enjoy anime fighters it's worth a shot imo.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, chokeout said:

Red Dead Redemption has been delayed again but finally has a release date. October!

It’s a bit gutting, but as you say, we have a release date, October 26th to be exact and they have teased us with these:

54E40E88-74D4-4645-8352-B81F66F4E052.jpeg

3ECAC70D-403D-4D71-8EE8-4D1BDD9638F6.jpeg

Not often I hear there’s a delay and I get annoyed these days. However, I then saw the pics and thought you know what, I can wait a bit longer for perfection. This looks fucking epic.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

shigsy.png

Granted, he probably said this before downloadable patches were a thing, but the point still stands. A disastrous launch leaves a stink that sometimes can't be erased, so a bad game is at least remembered as bad forever.