WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Don't forget Pushover as well, the game that centred on Quavers crisps mascot Colin Curly! Was actually a fun puzzle game too.

Pushover_game_cover.jpg

The McDonalds one was Mick & Mack, wasn't it? Also a decent game if I recall.

Edited by PunkStep

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Don't forget Pushover as well, the game that centred on Quavers crisps mascot Colin Curly! Was actually a fun puzzle game too.

Pushover_game_cover.jpg

The McDonalds one was Mick & Mack, wasn't it? Also a decent game if I recall.

Came free with my Amiga, such a quality game and remember spending ages moving around the various tiles to try and get through to the next level. Clever little puzzle game that one. Might be more fondly remembered if it hadn't had the product placement probably.

I also remember having MC Kids and Cool Spot so the kid targeting obviously worked on me. I remember playing Zool which had loads of Chupa Chups adverts all over it and Robocod would have things like Penguin bars all over the place but don't think they were officially licensed so to speak and just old fashioned product placement.

• Paid Members

The first conversation I ever had with my best mate at college, and brother of the bloke who ended up setting up the wrestling promotion I work for, was an argument over where Zool was from.

We were in the college canteen, someone was amazed that they had Chupa-Chups, and this guy I'd never shared more than a few words with turns to me and says, "Zool was from Chupa-Chup world", to which I replied, "fuck off, he was from the Nth Dimension!". A hasty trip to the college library later determined that we were both right.

In the case of Zool, they needed the money to finish the game so got the sponsorship deal to cover costs.

A lot of this sort of game would have been something that already existed - maybe in the middle of development, or even games that had been released in a different country, but with the graphics tweaked to include Ronald McDonald or whoever.

Chester Cheetah, the Cheetos mascot, had a Mega Drive game in the US, that apparently never once mentions Cheetos, so that's some top quality marketing there.

I've always assumed that they were just relatively cheap advertising (and a decent money spinner) for the companies doing them, and targeted at kids, who were usually the same target market, but apparently there's a school of thought that the rise of corporate mascots in video games coincides with tighter regulations on advertising to kids on TV coming in around the early '90s. So basically corporate mascots in games may have been the new Saturday morning cartoons.

Ribena missed a trick by not doing a Lemmings clone starring their infinite cartoon berry mascots, with the goal being to get as many of them into a bottle of delicious, delicious Ribena as possible.

Watching your sacrificial berries explode into drops of purple juice would've made you thirsty for a nice tall glass too.