WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

You only have to look at Mass Effect Andromeda, to see what a bad launch can do.

I'm actually quite fond of it (post patches anyway) but it was a complete disaster at launch. And never really recovered from it.

On that note. Bioware staff must be praying that Anthem doesn't bomb.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Granted, he probably said this before downloadable patches were a thing, but the point still stands. A disastrous launch leaves a stink that sometimes can't be erased, so a bad game is at least remembered as bad forever.

He's talking shit. They rushed ET for the Atari and that was a fucking masterpiece.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This potentially changes pretty much the history of gaming records. I didn’t know about the MAME rules regarding score submission. I knew about the questionable video footage he submitted (not him playing the game, just game footage), but this means a lot of other high scores could come in to dispute. 

If it’s a simple as slowing the frame rate to check the level load screen, how on Earth has it taken this long?

The best part is, it doesn’t prove he’s guilty of cheating, just that it can’t be confirmed he didn’t. So I see this turning in to a bit of a media circus in the retro games world. 

Great find Chest, I somehow missed it.

There's been another similar story this past week regarding an old Atari game called Dragster, a 35 year old record was stripped because the time Todd Rogers recorded was proven to be impossible. It took Twin Galaxies a while to do anything about this, they're pretty lax when it comes to cheats even though they're the go to people for these kinds of records.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Yeah man, as the Billy story mentions, some of his scores were ‘backed’ by Rogers, which legitimised any of the questionable score submissions.

It’s looking like the pair of them have potentially been in cahoots and piss taking.

What needs to be remembered here, is that a canny chunk of change has been made from these apparent high scores. 

It would be mint if in a few years time, once this has blown over a bit, they decide to make a King of Kong 2, looking at the fallout from the first movie along with all of this silly bollocks... what a silly billy.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Moderators

I think it would be cool if they filmed a little follow up piece as an extra for an anniversary edition of king of kong or something, but I don't think a sequel is needed. The story they tell in that doc and the characters are all so amazing.. They couldn't possibly recapture that.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

King of King is possibly the greatest documentary ever made.  Billy Mitchell is Ric Flair in many ways.

Just finished the latest Resident Evil with about 14 hours of gameplay.  Bit of a meh experience to be honest.

• Paid Members

Resident Evil 7 was ace because it didn’t feel like a Resident Evil game. That franchise is such a mess nowadays that doing a hard reset was the best thing they could have done. If anything, the third act of Resident Evil 7, when you’re on the boat, is easily the worst part of the game for the very reason that it started feeling like a Resident Evil again.

I’m looking at picking up an Arcade Stick in time for the release of The Street Fighter 30th anniversary comp coming to PS4, I was quite handy with Third Strike in the arcades and want to get into the fighting game community again. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by TildeGuy~!