The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

It's 2:25, I've just got home from a gig, and about to eat a pizza. At 5am I have to get up so that we can fly to Egypt.

It's a good job I still have the sleeping requirements of a teenager.

33 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Going to Rhodes in October, should be nice to see the ancient ruins of hotels, shops and dog carcasses.

I haven't been for ages, but I remember the old town being really lovely. 

That is, as you say, if its still standing.

Mr Danger indeed.

Flying to Lanzarote tomorrow and it’s already panic stations around the family, my youngest niece has been mardy all afternoon and wouldn’t settle earlier, my youngest nephew is in the ‘holding in phase’ of toilet training and my cousin is 6KG over on both her suitcases, add to that my mum has her usual travel anxiety (which only settles once we check the cases in) and both ours and my other cousin’s dogs had accidents at the dog sitter’s house they’re staying at and it’s a cracking start to the holiday

On 8/1/2023 at 11:46 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Flying to Lanzarote tomorrow and it’s already panic stations around the family, my youngest niece has been mardy all afternoon and wouldn’t settle earlier, my youngest nephew is in the ‘holding in phase’ of toilet training and my cousin is 6KG over on both her suitcases, add to that my mum has her usual travel anxiety (which only settles once we check the cases in) and both ours and my other cousin’s dogs had accidents at the dog sitter’s house they’re staying at and it’s a cracking start to the holiday

So to add to this, we arrived last night after a 2 1/2 hour delay on what was a 4.45pm flight to find our transport had cancelled on us because we touched down past 11 so we had to hail 3 cabs between the 12 of us, at a cost of €70 a cab but after a few hours sleep we are chilling by our pool and enjoying the amazing view

• Paid Members

Because of needing to use a voucher and points I got a cheap flight to New York next month. Any recommendations for cheap hotels? Doesn't look like can get anything less that £200 a night that isn't a hostel!

I'm gonna hold my nerve and try hoteltonight.com the week before otherwise. 

Finally going on a proper family holiday together. To Egypt next week, for a week. It was a last-minute package deal and now hurriedly sorting out all the other bollocks.

Anyone been to the country and know the situation with visas? I know you need one, but conflicting information regarding whether you need to get them in advance or can just sort it upon arrival. 

I would like to err on the side of caution and get it in advance, but the visa website is a little confusing and I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to get visas for myself and my kids (one of which will need to use their British passport as her Czech one expires just before the six-month limit they have there). 

Any help would be appreciated, cheers! Perhaps from you, @Nostalgia Nonce?

Edited by SaitoRyo
Stuff and that.

• Moderators
On 8/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, Weezenal said:

Because of needing to use a voucher and points I got a cheap flight to New York next month. Any recommendations for cheap hotels? Doesn't look like can get anything less that £200 a night that isn't a hostel!

I'm gonna hold my nerve and try hoteltonight.com the week before otherwise. 

Where are you looking? It's one of the few places in the US that has decent public transport so you can stay a bit further out and still get about easily. 

• Paid Members
On 8/9/2023 at 12:04 AM, SaitoRyo said:

Finally going on a proper family holiday together. To Egypt next week, for a week. It was a last-minute package deal and now hurriedly sorting out all the other bollocks.

Anyone been to the country and know the situation with visas? I know you need one, but conflicting information regarding whether you need to get them in advance or can just sort it upon arrival. 

I would like to err on the side of caution and get it in advance, but the visa website is a little confusing and I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to get visas for myself and my kids (one of which will need to use their British passport as her Czech one expires just before the six-month limit they have there). 

Any help would be appreciated, cheers! Perhaps from you, @Nostalgia Nonce?

We got ours in advance, because we know from previous Egyptian holidays in 2013/14 that it's a country where things can change very quickly, however there were people getting them at the airport when they arrived. I don't if it's the same now, but you used to get charged more doing it at the airport.

The only issue we had with the visa s is that every PDF had the same file name, so it was awkward keeping track of which ones we'd already downloaded and printed.

When you get there, you'll need to fill in a Landing Card. We got offered one pretty much as soon as we walked into the airport. Get one at the earliest opportunity, because the counter further in was carnage with people arguing over whether they needed one or not in a dozen languages.

Tipping is preferred in US dollars, so get yourself a stash of $1 bills.

The other thing to bare in mind is the heat. This is the third time I've been, and temperatures hit 52 degrees  in Sharm when I was there in 2014, however Sharm heat and Cairo heat are different beasts due to the humidity.

On Monday we went to Cairo and it was 41 degrees, and it was insanely hot. Far hotter than previous trips, and comparable to a sauna with how we all had sweat just pouring off us. The previous week, they'd had temperatures of 57 degrees, and so had cancelled a lot of touristy stuff, especially those involving horses and camels.

We paid an extra £30 for a private tour guide, and it was well worth it.

• Paid Members
On 7/31/2023 at 9:05 AM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

All is not lost. Look! 

IMG20230730194919.thumb.jpg.eb984410b1873c8e3dcb56eef257da4c.jpg

Bum gun!

UPDATE: I hadn't realised, but there's also an integrated bidet, as the tap is on the left side and not easily spotted. You have to go steady with it though, as a half turn of the tap takes it from ineffective tickle to feeling like that water tentacle from The Abyss is trying to violate you.