The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

Thanks for the advice, @Nostalgia Nonce!

I fear the heat - especially since we're going with our two young kids - so we're going to have to be smart about it. 

Also, turns out the official Egypt e-visa website is a joke and I gave up on it. Basically, it duplicated one of the applications and then wouldn't delete it and there was no other way to do it without paying for five instead of four, so I'm just going to get them there. Been assured by my folks, who have been a few times, that it's easy done on arrival. 

Not looking forward to a through-the-night flight and all the expected fucking about when we get to into Hurghada, but I am very excited about finally having a little family holiday!

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm presuming it's a typo

Nope. 

52 degrees in Sharm is "stay in the shade or the pool because it's fucking hot" kind of hot. It's hot, but because of the lower humidity and some air movement from the sea, it's bearable so long as you're not baking yourself in direct sunlight.

The 41 degrees in Cairo was worse than the 52 in Sharm because it's so suffocating, and it's just impossible to get yourself dry. Our guide deliberately made the pyramids our first stop because it was still (by comparison) cool.

The idea that it could have been 16 degrees hotter than the hottest I've ever experienced is frightening. 

12 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Nope. 

52 degrees in Sharm is "stay in the shade or the pool because it's fucking hot" kind of hot. It's hot, but because of the lower humidity and some air movement from the sea, it's bearable so long as you're not baking yourself in direct sunlight.

The 41 degrees in Cairo was worse than the 52 in Sharm because it's so suffocating, and it's just impossible to get yourself dry. Our guide deliberately made the pyramids our first stop because it was still (by comparison) cool.

The idea that it could have been 16 degrees hotter than the hottest I've ever experienced is frightening. 

I just looked it up and the hottest ever recorded temperature there was 46 degrees. The hottest recorded temperature ever on Earth is 56. It's only ever tipped over 54 a handful of times.

I'm not sure where to put this, here or the children thread but I'll give it a go here. My cousin is getting married in Vancouver next year and wants us to come over. My youngest will be one - his second birthday would happened out there if we went and my eldest will be one month shy of his fourth birthday. It's at least a 9 hour flight. Is it worth flying that far with two toddlers? Or do I just say 'sorry we can't make it this year, maybe next year?'.

Also anyone who has travelled with little kids, I'm guessing an Air BnB or something similar would be better than a hotel?

Haha, no she's the best! She is my only female cousin on my mums side of the family so we've always got on very well, and they all made it over here for my wedding. Its more the logistics of travelling with two kids. My parents and brother and sister are going to the wedding, and I might be able to talk one of them in to flying with us but I'm not the most patient person and not the biggest fan of long haul flights anyway.

Edit: also I do love Vancouver, I've been trying to convince my husband to move out there but he's never been so this will help that argument I think.... but 9 hours with 2 kids 

Edited by deathrey

Holiday for me ended on Monday night, I’m still on it but haven’t been about to get out and go anywhere with my family for the past 3 days as I ruptured my right knee in a fall and have been in a temporary cast since

Flying back home tomorrow and will likely have to have surgery on it either Monday or Tuesday leaving me house bound for several weeks

1 hour ago, deathrey said:

I'm not sure where to put this, here or the children thread but I'll give it a go here. My cousin is getting married in Vancouver next year and wants us to come over. My youngest will be one - his second birthday would happened out there if we went and my eldest will be one month shy of his fourth birthday. It's at least a 9 hour flight. Is it worth flying that far with two toddlers? Or do I just say 'sorry we can't make it this year, maybe next year?'.

Also anyone who has travelled with little kids, I'm guessing an Air BnB or something similar would be better than a hotel?

I did atwo 8 hour flights back to back to get home with a just 1 year old in December. It was hard work. We couldn't rest as we had to flip between trying to get him to sleep and keeping him entertained for the whole time. We decided against another trip back for this year until next when he can have his own seat. Best advice I can give is do it if you really want to go but be prepared. Lots.of snacks, cartoons they like downloaded etc and you might be fine. Go on a good airline who will be supportive. 

One thing to consider with the birthday over there is making sure you book properly as they'll have to be in their own seat once they turn two. No idea how you would book that unless you book each journey separately. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I just looked it up and the hottest ever recorded temperature there was 46 degrees. The hottest recorded temperature ever on Earth is 56. It's only ever tipped over 54 a handful of times.

Eggy face admitted.

I checked with the missus, 'cos I was certain we were told it hit 57 last week, but she says it was 47. She does remember being given a figure of 52 on the previous holiday though. I don't know if there's inaccuracies in their recordings, because it supposedly hit 45 yesterday in Sharm and it was definitely not the hottest day here.IMG_20230812_105852.thumb.jpg.c3a539af1bf0354124a675794b8cbe6d.jpg

Something else I discovered last night is that some restaurant toilets have the bidet / bum-gun combo, but nothing to dry yourself with afterwards, so make sure you have paper and / or wipes with you, so you don't have to stand bent over with your shorts round your ankles, pointing your arse at the fan and praying that nobody walks in.

• Paid Members
On 8/9/2023 at 1:25 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Where are you looking? It's one of the few places in the US that has decent public transport so you can stay a bit further out and still get about easily. 

Maybe Brooklyn or Manhattan. Somewhere I'm least likely to be murdered. Probably gonna leave it to a week or two before, going without the family so not as rushed to get something.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, simonworden said:

I did atwo 8 hour flights back to back to get home with a just 1 year old in December. It was hard work. We couldn't rest as we had to flip between trying to get him to sleep and keeping him entertained for the whole time. We decided against another trip back for this year until next when he can have his own seat. Best advice I can give is do it if you really want to go but be prepared. Lots.of snacks, cartoons they like downloaded etc and you might be fine. Go on a good airline who will be supportive. 

One thing to consider with the birthday over there is making sure you book properly as they'll have to be in their own seat once they turn two. No idea how you would book that unless you book each journey separately. 

So you did 16 hours?! That does sound like a nightmare. I did wonder about the seat thing for my youngest. He is a big boy, despite the two year age gap, he shares t-shirts with his older brother. I was wondering if we would be able to get him a seat from the offset as he will be days away from turning two. I think may have to contact some airlines.

4 hours ago, deathrey said:

So you did 16 hours?! That does sound like a nightmare. I did wonder about the seat thing for my youngest. He is a big boy, despite the two year age gap, he shares t-shirts with his older brother. I was wondering if we would be able to get him a seat from the offset as he will be days away from turning two. I think may have to contact some airlines.

Yeah it's definitely worth talking to them before. The way out was better than the way back as we were there for a month and our lad used the Christmas period to learn to walk and do some growing so they wouldn't let us have the bassinet meaning he had to stay on one of our laps for the whole journey. 

• Paid Members
On 8/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, Weezenal said:

Maybe Brooklyn or Manhattan. Somewhere I'm least likely to be murdered. Probably gonna leave it to a week or two before, going without the family so not as rushed to get something.

Just be aware that whatever you pay, you’ll also have the city tax to pay for each night, plus U.S. hotels like to put a hold on your card for incidentals.