The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Moderators
On 8/11/2023 at 9:55 AM, deathrey said:

I'm not sure where to put this, here or the children thread but I'll give it a go here. My cousin is getting married in Vancouver next year and wants us to come over. My youngest will be one - his second birthday would happened out there if we went and my eldest will be one month shy of his fourth birthday. It's at least a 9 hour flight. Is it worth flying that far with two toddlers? Or do I just say 'sorry we can't make it this year, maybe next year?'.

Also anyone who has travelled with little kids, I'm guessing an Air BnB or something similar would be better than a hotel?

I went to Vancouver last summer with a 4 year old and one child below 2 (no seat). 

Tbh it was fucking  exhausting and a nightmare. But we got through it and the holiday was loads of fun and it wasn't as bad on the way back as at least we knew what to expect. Assume you won't sleep at all and the kids will barely sleep. I would probably not have done an overnight flight in retrospect. 

To add - they will let you book a seat for an under two if you want one. More expensive obviously but I think worth it if you can.

And yeah. I would go airbnb with kids. One because it makes meal times easier and two because with a hotel you're kinda trapped once the kids are asleep. 

Edit -  I know I said book a seat. But thinking about it, depending on the airline if you don't have a seat but have the bassinet, then they'll prioritise the front row with all the space for you. Which is nice because you know the kids are not going to be able to just sit still. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Hmm it basically seems both of you are saying that everything I'm worried about is likely to happen. Maybe it's a little ambitious and Vancouver should wait a couple of years. I think maybe start small with a European trip next year.

Thank you @simonwordenand @Chest Rockwellyou've given me lots to think about but I think I'm swaying towards not going.

Edited by deathrey

On 8/16/2023 at 8:15 PM, deathrey said:

Hmm it basically seems both of you are saying that everything I'm worried about is likely to happen. Maybe it's a little ambitious and Vancouver should wait a couple of years. I think maybe start small with a European trip next year.

Thank you @simonwordenand @Chest Rockwellyou've given me lots to think about but I think I'm swaying towards not going.

No worries, I strangely comfort myself by some of things we don't do by thinking about money saved if that helps

• Paid Members

Currently on the coast in Kenya, it's lovely and we have our own private beach. But I'm with my in-laws so it feels like I'm stuck in a baking hot prison - it's not that bad really. 

PXL_20230816_094251747.MP.jpg

PXL_20230815_133610945_MP.thumb.jpg.78b9ed4f0af9ee31db486562868652ca.jpg

Edited by Weezenal

This year I decided to do something different for my girlfriend and I’s holiday.

I’ve always wanted to do a cruise and I finally managed to get her to agree to it.

I can’t recommend it enough.

If anyone wants a full write up, I can do one, but there’ll be a lot of it.

For now I’ll leave you with an image from a place we stopped, and our ship (I didn’t take it)spacer.png

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I can't think of many things worse to be honest, but glad you're enjoying it @Matthew. Is it stopping in Birmingham?

With some of the narrow waterways we went down, I reckon it could easily stop alongside Broad Street

5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Considered cruises over the years but never settled on one. Would be interested to hear a first time experience 🙂

Will put something together later on, to give you idea.

Off on a Disney cruise with the kids today. Should be an experience. Always seemed like a lot of effort to go to America THEN get a cruise so these ones from Southampton are perfect.

Kids are far too excited. They're going to love it. And I'm basically going to abuse the inclusive room service.

I've been on one cruise, a Disney one on the Fantasy around the Caribbean, and I was instantly hooked. From people I've spoken to the Disney ones are about as good as it gets and we loved our experience so you're going to have a great time. The activities, the food, the shows are all quality but yeah, the room service is dead handy, particularly late at night when you want cookies and milk. The late night buffet after the fireworks night is a good laugh too, especially if you forget it's happening like we did and I discovered it when wandering to get some drinks. Ended up coming back to the cabin with four drinks and two precariously balanced plates of food including two massive turkey legs. Would love to go again.

• 1 month later...