The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

The Islanders play their games at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/tickets

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/schedule/2018-09-16/ET/list

You could get tickets to watch the Nets. 

https://www.nba.com/nets/schedule But only home game in that time frame is ironically against the Knicks on Friday 19th October. 

Other events 

https://www.msg.com/calendar/?happening=10%2F01%2F2018-10%2F31%2F2018&location=New%20York&venues=all

check the venue name though so it's definitely MSG. If you wanted to see Steely Dan they'll be at the Beacon Theatre on October 17th & 18th and October 20th & 21st. 

• Awards Moderator

Thanks everyone. I think we'll just wait and see, not hugely fussed about any of it but if something cheap crops up we might go for it.

I've got another question though: jet lag. Don't understand how to figure out what to do with it - first time flying beyond Europe. So we leave the UK at lunchtime, and arrive in NYC around 5.30pm US time - which is around 10.30pm UK time. Going back, we leave NY at 6pm US time, fly overnight and reach final destination at about 9am the following morning UK time.

How do I figure what best to do with sleep so we don't lose holiday time to feeling jet lagged?

• Paid Members

I think you’ll be ok going to the US and back in terms of jetlag - just do not, I repeat, do NOT look at the in-floght clock graphic they show on the screens. You’ll be a couple of hours in and thinking you’ve been flying for an age, only to discover you’ve got something like five hours left and you’ll want to scream. 

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I'm all booked. Me and my mate are off travelling next Summer, over the course of 35 days we're hitting up:

Brussels, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Berlin and Amsterdam.

We've started piecing together a bit of an itinerary, but if anyone has anything in the way of recommendations/advice/tips/guides I'm all ears. First time either of us have been travelling before so somewhat stepping into the unknown, but incredibly excited.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What’s Singapore like? Partner’s been invited to a wedding there next June; there’s no +1s to the wedding but she’s asked me to go along with her and make it a bit of a holiday. I know nothing about Singapore. What’s good?

I had a stopover for 3 nights on the way to Australia. It’s a fantastic place. Small enough to get around but large enough to explore. It’s also the cleanest place I’ve ever been. Something like a fine of a grand for littering!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Going to Lanzarote next Wednesday with my family, we had originally planned to go 2 years ago but things were still dodgy due to COVID but we were allowed to hold our villa booking this entire time. It’s pretty much going to be the last time me, my mum and my sister will be together abroad due to mum’s Parkinson’s and various arthritic issues so we’re determined to make the most of it

It’ll also be a better experience for my sister as she, her husband and my nieces were meant to have spent the week in Rhodes as her friend got married today but because of the issues with the wildfires they flew back on Monday on one of the escape flights after a rough couple nights

On 10/17/2018 at 2:58 AM, AdamTH17 said:

Right. I'm all booked. Me and my mate are off travelling next Summer, over the course of 35 days we're hitting up:

Brussels, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Berlin and Amsterdam.

We've started piecing together a bit of an itinerary, but if anyone has anything in the way of recommendations/advice/tips/guides I'm all ears. First time either of us have been travelling before so somewhat stepping into the unknown, but incredibly excited.

Are you hugely invested in being in Amsterdam for the nightlife late at night? If not I would suggest you look at Leiden which is about 30 mins outside by train. Amsterdam's got to ridiculous levels of accommodation price.Tickets were not expensive. It's a cool little university town with everything you might want on a much smaller scale and none of what you don't want like high prices, sketchy people etc. Gives you good access to a bit of the Dutch country

On 12/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

What’s Singapore like? Partner’s been invited to a wedding there next June; there’s no +1s to the wedding but she’s asked me to go along with her and make it a bit of a holiday. I know nothing about Singapore. What’s good?

Singapore is a nice place, lots of interesting stuff to see especially around the old colonial buildings in China town, Clarke quay, the mosque area. Very easy to get around, heaps.of good food.

But if you have more than a few days there you'll get bored. So if you have a longer holiday planned consider taking a cheap flight or overlanding by train to somewhere nearby. I'd recommend Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Langkawi, Phuket (although both islands might be a bit rainy in June). Even places like Cambodia and good old Vietnam where I live (see got in there!) Would be good choices at that time of year and from Singapore not a ballache to head over to and back for your main flight home. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, simonworden said:

Are you hugely invested in being in Amsterdam for the nightlife late at night? If not I would suggest you look at Leiden which is about 30 mins outside by train. Amsterdam's got to ridiculous levels of accommodation price.Tickets were not expensive. It's a cool little university town with everything you might want on a much smaller scale and none of what you don't want like high prices, sketchy people etc. Gives you good access to a bit of the Dutch country

Singapore is a nice place, lots of interesting stuff to see especially around the old colonial buildings in China town, Clarke quay, the mosque area. Very easy to get around, heaps.of good food.

But if you have more than a few days there you'll get bored. So if you have a longer holiday planned consider taking a cheap flight or overlanding by train to somewhere nearby. I'd recommend Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Langkawi, Phuket (although both islands might be a bit rainy in June). Even places like Cambodia and good old Vietnam where I live (see got in there!) Would be good choices at that time of year and from Singapore not a ballache to head over to and back for your main flight home. 

Thanks for the tips - we did end up going in 2019! Had a great time and didn’t feel the need to go beyond Singapore itself. Even got an extra night because our flight back was cancelled. Can recommend!

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Thanks for the tips - we did end up going in 2019! Had a great time and didn’t feel the need to go beyond Singapore itself. Even got an extra night because our flight back was cancelled. Can recommend!

Oh bloody hell I didn't see the gap in this thread! Sorry to both I quoted.