The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

@deathrey here you go:

Voner - Vegan doner kebab place, despite not being vegan(very much a meat eater) I was very impressed. Berlin is famous for doner kebabs, so saves missing out on a local delicacy.

PIzzare - Bit out of the way, but does great vegan/veggie pizzas. Also has a pool table. Might be a bit far-flung though if you're staying in Mitte.

19 Grams - We stayed beside this, and this was a cracking place for breakfast/coffee in MItte, would highly recommend. Went every day we were there. 

Peter Pane - chain burger place that has a veggie menu, bit touristy but food was good. Several locations in the city centre.

Momos - cracking little place in Mitte, does really good veggie dumplings

There are loads of places that do currywurst with tofu dogs regularly available (not all will, but there are definitely a few we saw). 

Plus, there are places selling pretzels and all sorts of veggie friendly stuff in every train station.

I'd also recommend Kreuzberg as an area to explore, which has loads of lovely bars and coffee places and lots of veggie options. 

Basically everywhere will do good veggie food, so I wouldn't stress too much, best bet is to have a wander and explore! Hope you have a great time, Berlin is ace!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone been to Santorini? We're off there in May and I'm looking to start planning things to do there soon, so if anyone has any recommendations, that would be great!

• Paid Members

Just got back from my first trip to Australia a couple of days ago and completely, utter fell in love with the place. I was working in Brisbane mostly but managed to get time to head North/South of the city to some of the different beaches by Gold Coast and Noosa - the latter of which I thought was especially brilliant. 

Brisbane in particular has lots of nice things to see/do - the South Bank in particular is great. You can also get up and down the river for free on boat shuttles. From there it's also pretty easy to get on bus tours for day trips (water parks, zoo, etc). Only thing is it's pretty far if you want to tick off any other Aus cities during your stay, Sydney for instance is about a ten hour drive away. Again though, superb place! 

With the flying, if you haven't flown long-haul before don't look at the graphics that tell you distance covered/time remaining. You'll have a breakdown when you think you've been in the air for well over half a journey, only to discover you still have eight hours left on your current flight and you'll want to scream. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• 4 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

I’m taking the partner for a surprise couple of days in Bordeaux for her birthday. I’ve also got her one of those Instax cameras and some film which I’d planned to give her on the day while we’re there. 

Where do I stand with taking that present through airport security? If I’ve got an instant camera in its box, all wrapped up, are they going to make me unwrap it before it goes through the scanners? Will the film get wrecked (I’ve seen contrasting things about that)?

Or is it just going to be easier to give her the camera before we go?

• Paid Members

If it wont fit in your hold luggage I'd probably give it to her before you go. I regularly travel around with camera equipment and sometimes have to take this through security depending on how much hold luggage I've been allocated and as you might expect, everything's got to come out and be checked etc and it's always such a faff. Plus even if you put fragile stickers on your luggage the pricks still toss the baggage onto the planes like they are javelins. Also if you give it to her before you hit Bordeaux she can document your holds on there from the start which might be quite nice. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

New York question. We thought it might be fun to go to MSG one night while we’re there and watch the basketball, but from having a look, I can only find tickets that are $100+ each which is, to me, way too much to be paying for something we’re not that fussed about. Am I looking in the right places or can you get them cheaper? Do they go down nearer the time?

https://www.cheaptickets.com/events/performers/new-york-knicks-tickets

Old topic from 2013 but might be useful too

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6995183-Cheapest_way_to_get_New_York_Knicks_tickets-New_York_City_New_York.htmlp

If it's a regular season game against a marquee team say the Celtics/Lakers/Warriors etc you'll be looking at a higher price. Seems tickets are $50+ across the board for the Garden from the link above. It's $61+ for the Pacers.

If not the basketball I was going to suggest the baseball. October is post season though and Yankees most likely will make it but the Mets won't this year, plus the tickets will  more expensive. You could see the New York Islanders since I believe they will soon be starting the regular season. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Really Big Shoe said:

https://www.cheaptickets.com/events/performers/new-york-knicks-tickets

Old topic from 2013 but might be useful too

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6995183-Cheapest_way_to_get_New_York_Knicks_tickets-New_York_City_New_York.htmlp

If it's a regular season game against a marquee team say the Celtics/Lakers/Warriors etc you'll be looking at a higher price. Seems tickets are $50+ across the board for the Garden from the link above. It's $61+ for the Pacers.

If not the basketball I was going to suggest the baseball. October is post season though and Yankees most likely will make it but the Mets won't this year, plus the tickets will  more expensive. You could see the New York Islanders since I believe they will soon be starting the regular season. 

Thanks for the links. The week we're going they're playing Atlanta on the Wednesday and Boston on the Saturday - we'd hoped the Atlanta one might be a bit more affordable. It's not the sport so much as 'going to see something at Madison Square Garden' for me so may have to just skip it unless cheap ones turn up nearer the time.