The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Reporting in from the Mexican Pacific Coast. It's very, very nice. Buenos noches. 

They have a state election here today. You know, it's against federal law to serve alcohol on election day? Some dismayed Brits on the piss at the hotel today. Or not, as the case may be. 

*Buenas

Why would federal law affect what you can and can't do on a state election day?!

Yeah, I believe that you were sober when you posted. I was just a bit incredulous at Mexico getting decentralisation wrong. Travel agents ought to warn you about stuff like that before you book.

• Paid Members

Why are you being a dick? I was told by one of the reps here that it was a state election and the signs around the bars said they couldn't serve alcohol on election day due to federal law. 

I don't really understand the sober comment. Course I was sober, I don't drink. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Hey guys,

I'm flying to New York JFK in November from Manchester. I arrive at 13:55 and I was debating about getting a flight to Los Angeles the same day at 19:00. Will this be enough time to land, collect luggage and then check in again?

Also any tips for Los Angeles or sharing experiences would be greatly appreciated. I understand the Metro Underground is poor in Los Angeles.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Yeah, I believe that you were sober when you posted.

Why would you say something like that? What an amazingly twatty thing to say.

38 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Why are you being a dick? I was told by one of the reps here that it was a state election and the signs around the bars said they couldn't serve alcohol on election day due to federal law. 

I don't really understand the sober comment. Course I was sober, I don't drink. 

I'm not.

Why does it bother you that they weren't allowed to serve alcohol yesterday, then?

• Paid Members
Just now, Fog Dude said:

How is it?!

What has somebody's sobriety or otherwise got to do with what was a perfectly innocent query? If you can't see why it's dickish then you really are a complete twat. And that's even before we get round to the usual Fog Dude crash course in shitposting pedantry.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

What has somebody's sobriety or otherwise got to do with what was a perfectly innocent query? If you can't see why it's dickish then you really are a complete twat. And that's even before we get round to the usual Fog Dude crash course in shitposting pedantry.

No, it's not dickish and yes, I accept SpursRiot's query was innocent. My reply was innocent too. I'd have just said "I believe you" and not added the sober comment if I thought it'd cause offence. Obviously only some people are allowed to try to be funny on here. Tone doesn't come across online, and more importantly, I do not appreciate the Aspie-shaming bullying attitude towards me on here. I'll just voluntarily disappear for 6 weeks until it's time to start a new Predictions League sign-up thread if people are just going to be cunts.

There's nothing wrong with facts. The world needs more of them. Pedantry shouldn't be a dirty word. I'm not trying to shitpost. Other people derail conversations when they start to question me.

• Paid Members
Just now, Fog Dude said:

Aspie-shaming bullying attitude towards me on here.

Are you for fucking real or what? Absolutely NOBODY on here that I can recall has ever so much has even commented on your Aspergers. In fact, and I'm sure I don't just speak for myself here, I didn't even know about that. There's absolutely nothing of the sort going on here and you are totally wrong if you think there is. I can't believe you just turned this into a mental health cock-wave.

As for 'facts', you're correct to a degree. There's nothing wrong with people being right. But it's the way you correct people. You say it's all about tone. Pretty much everyone else on here manages to get around that alright. And you've been warned about it before by moderators on here and yet you still do it anyway. It's not about tone at all. You know exactly what you're doing.

The thing is that you're obviously an intelligent guy who knows his shit about a fair dose of topics, and you're exactly the sort of person every forum needs to generate worthwhile discussion. But you don't use your intelligence to engage, you disengage instead with your wanton nitpicking.

13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Stop playing the victim. What a load of bullshit. You made a shitty non joke that backfired and got called out on it.

I'm the last person who wants to see themselves as a victim, mate. Yes, it was an unfunny attempt at humour. I can handle it if people shoot back at me by telling me that directly, but saying I was deliberately being a dick or a twat is disproportionate. 

I didn't know about my Asperger's myself until 3 years ago and haven't felt the need to mention it until now, but if you're a neurotypical it should've become increasingly obvious. The fact that people's immediate response to that is to say I'm engaging in 'mental health dick-waving' shows that we have a long way to come as a society (way beyond this forum) in our attitudes to such conditions.

How does one correct people without coming across as impolite at best and insane at worst, then? There's nothing wrong with being on the side of knowledge and truth. In this day and age, it's needed more than ever.

On topic: I was thinking it's about time I make it to Vienna, possibly in the autumn.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

The fact that people's immediate response to that is to say I'm engaging in 'mental health dick-waving' shows that we have a long way to come as a society (way beyond this forum) in our attitudes to such conditions.

No, again, that response is to you behaviour, not your condition. People on here are generally very sensitive and sympathetic to mental health issues. Many on here have received great support from each other that has helped them through some really tough times.

None of them started that dialogue by accusing people of bullying and shaming.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

I didn't know about my Asperger's myself until 3 years ago and haven't felt the need to mention it until now, but if you're a neurotypical it should've become increasingly obvious. The fact that people's immediate response to that is to say I'm engaging in 'mental health dick-waving' shows that we have a long way to come as a society (way beyond this forum) in our attitudes to such conditions.

What you are saying is tantamount to asking, "Please don't call me out on being a nitpicking, thread derailing wally because of my Asperger's". And as someone who has had his own significant mental health problems over the last 10 years, it sticks in my craw no fucking end.