The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

Amsterdam is on the list of places to visit, having never been.

Whats the deal there with the "red light district" ? is it real open on the street, or it more like Prague, in the sense on lovely looking place, with stuff hidden down the side streets?

Re a question asked on the previous page: if anybody has been to Budapest, are they on the Euro or is it still Forint ? I'm reading its still Forint, but some places take both?

The Red Light District is about half a square mile. It runs along part of the canal and some side streets. you cannot miss the brothels. The working girls stand in a shop window like sexy movable mannequins beckoning you to come over. Brothels aren't limited to the RLD, they are dotted about over the city. We found that the biggest concentration of weed cafes were around the Dam Square area and there is a few decent bars there. It is not the cheapest place to have a drink. Standard price for 0.5L of Heineken was 6-7 Euros.

Hungary is still on the Forint. Your best bet is to take Sterling over to Hungary and change money once you get into Budapest, you will get a much better rate than over here. It is only really worth changing currency here if you are getting Euros or US Dollars.

The Red Light District is about half a square mile. It runs along part of the canal and some side streets. you cannot miss the brothels. The working girls stand in a shop window like sexy movable mannequins beckoning you to come over. Brothels aren't limited to the RLD, they are dotted about over the city. We found that the biggest concentration of weed cafes were around the Dam Square area and there is a few decent bars there. It is not the cheapest place to have a drink. Standard price for 0.5L of Heineken was 6-7 Euros.

Hungary is still on the Forint. Your best bet is to take Sterling over to Hungary and change money once you get into Budapest, you will get a much better rate than over here. It is only really worth changing currency here if you are getting Euros or US Dollars.

Cool , ok. 'Dam is one to visit for me for sure. Seemingly everybody I know has been, and I've missed out for some reason.

And thanks regarding the Forint stuff, I had read that its best to exchange locally, so I'll have a shop about. I presume it's a safe bet to have Some Forints with you, rather than rocking up with 2-300 sterling and no local currency.

• Paid Members

Re Red Light District- it's all there for you to see. Women in 'shop windows' naked everywhere, trying to persuade you to join them. Catches you off guard. Whatever you do, don't take pictures. They will fucking get you for doing that. Oh, and visit the Banana Bar. It's exactly what you think it is.

Ah I've. Even to Clarke quay before I actually found the stuff in the covered area a bit rowdy. Was just hoping for some hidden gems. Prob not going to do the marina bay sands this time as I'm with my mate and we're both taken. Although the missus wants to pop back again so that will be on the list then as didn't know about it last time!

• Paid Members

I've only ever seen the airport in Amsterdam, but going for a few days next month to Hannover, getting the ferry to Ijmuiden, bus to Amsterdam, couple of hours lay over and then train to Hannover. 

Is there anything to do in 'Dam for a couple of hours that's within walking distance of Centraal train station? 

Also, any suggestions for what to do in Hannover? Going to a gig at the TUI Arena and considering going to see Hannover 96 as they are playing at home when I'm there. 

Ah I've. Even to Clarke quay before I actually found the stuff in the covered area a bit rowdy. Was just hoping for some hidden gems. Prob not going to do the marina bay sands this time as I'm with my mate and we're both taken. Although the missus wants to pop back again so that will be on the list then as didn't know about it last time!

Yeah it can be!  I found a few nice places in the Chinatown area, but it all seems to be centred around the three quays.

• Paid Members

Not expensive at all CTX, very cheap compared to most major European cities in fact. Flights & accommodation can easily be done on the cheap without taking a hit on quality either. Food & drink isn't too terribly priced for a major city either.

Is there anything to do in 'Dam for a couple of hours that's within walking distance of Centraal train station? 

Yes! Pretty much everything except the swankiest museums is a short walk from the station. I'd suggest just leaving the station and having a look around. You'll find plenty.

• Paid Members

Yes! Pretty much everything except the swankiest museums is a short walk from the station. I'd suggest just leaving the station and having a look around. You'll find plenty.

Yeah just walk across the road, being careful not to get run over by a cyclist and follow the smell of drugs and whores.

Heh heh. Cheers guys. 

I'd still love to visit the city properly, but two hours is better than just the airport. Be good to at least sample it. 

Edited by eugenespeed