The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator

Not really a holiday as such, but I'm going to be in Edinburgh for a few days this week and will be on my own Friday evening - any suggestions of where to go? I'm staying in Leith and don't drink so that probably limits my options

Ross Noble's playing the Festival Theatre on Friday night - that's where I'll be!

• Paid Members

Glad you had a cracking time in Asia, Spurs. Really does sound like an incredible holiday.

That looks fucking great, everything is coming up Gus lately.

It's been a good few days between this, the job, other shit and Boston really is the beach-ball sized cherry on the cake. Got my dollars yesterday (not as many as I would have liked mind...cheers Brexit) it feels real now.

I'm looking at booking a few days in Berlin for me and the other half.

I'm not well travelled and look to avoid having to plan anything in general, to my own detriment really. So I'm looking online at interesting stuff to do but I'm wondering - is all the main touristy stuff quite self explanatory there and it's not hard to work out where to go and what to do?

If anyone that has been can give some pointers and general tips it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by Sexy Dad

• Paid Members

Anyone ever been to Malta? Booked a few days there in January as it was cheap and should be slightly warmer than here. Anyone got any tips on things to do?

I went to Malta twenty or so years ago (I watched the OJ Simpson chase happen on telly whilst we were there). I have to say that I hated it there, but over the years I've thought about it, and I think I was at a shit age. I was about 14, too old to hang out with my parents, and too young to have any of the nightclub fun I saw.

Things I hated:

— The food was frequently dire. Lots of three-course-meal holiday places, stuff in the spag bol that shouldn't be there, and the worst pizza I've ever eaten.

— The nightlife seemed to either be proper megaclubs, or cheesy supper club entertainment — I heard a Maltese bloke sing "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay", it wasn't great.

— The roads were knackered and slick, and the place is a haven for old MOT-failing rustbuckets. Combine that with mental drivers, and you're grabbing your life in your hands every journey. The buses were proper old jitneys, too.

— We went on a day trip to smaller sister island Gozo, and it was a proper shitshow. We got a three-course-meal on the way, and it was worst food I've ever been given. Slice of pimento ham and a hard-boiled egg, then a square of parsley sauced coley with frozen broccoli, and then a square of green jelly. Then the buses left back to Malta after the daytrip, and we got stranded on Gozo, had to beg a lift from a different tour.

— I went to Gozo, and I didn't see Robin Asquith.

Things I liked:

— I've always liked a nice church, and they had some blinders. Some of the best houses of worship I've ever seen, and some really off-the-wall ones.

— The weather was great for us, and it'll probably be a lot nicer there than the UK.

— Some of the scenery is exceptional. Blue Grotto was beautiful, there were so cracking beaches, and Popeye was filmed there.

— Although most of the food was desperate in the tourist places, we went for a blinding seafood meal on the last night.

— Malta has Kinnie, the soft drink God would drink. I didn't have much of it there, but I got addicted to it when I lived in Finsbury Park.

I went about 6 years ago . Very quiet compared to lots of places in the Med, but fantastic weather, very blue sky and water and we just had quiet evenings eating in little tavernas.

We did go one evening into the big city- st George maybe? There were plenty of bars and clubs, though most of the clientele seemed to be Maltese.

We got fantastic deal on flights but id go again. Definitely not the hippest place but if you're looking for r and r go for it!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I think we can all agree that January and February are dog shit. So me and a couple of pals have just finished booking a week of manic interailing across Central/Western Europe.

Itinerary is Brussels to see a Divine Comedy gig, then off to Amsterdam, followed by Cologne, Frankfurt and Lille. All within the space of 8 days. Can't wait. I'll be living out of a army bag and my leathers, because I'm a real worker.

Also decided to book a fishing holiday for July in Scotland with some friends. Fly up, I'll rent a car, load up on beer and Bourbon and camp in the most quiet and beautiful place we can afford. I don't fish, but am up for just being in that beautiful landscape for a few days.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I think we can all agree that January and February are dog shit. So me and a couple of pals have just finished booking a week of manic interailing across Central/Western Europe.

Itinerary is Brussels to see a Divine Comedy gig, then off to Amsterdam, followed by Cologne, Frankfurt and Lille. All within the space of 8 days. Can't wait. I'll be living out of a army bag and my leathers, because I'm a real worker.

Also decided to book a fishing holiday for July in Scotland with some friends. Fly up, I'll rent a car, load up on beer and Bourbon and camp in the most quiet and beautiful place we can afford. I don't fish, but am up for just being in that beautiful landscape for a few days.

Both of those sound amazing. I saw Brussels this year, had a day there after Antwerp and Ghent. Brussels didn't do it for me, too crowded and felt too much of a "new city" after Antwerp, but it's still a fantastic place. We did get there at the end of two protests which may have made it a more crowded city.

I always go away in December on my own, did Berlin this year and it was amazing. I'm hoping to do a few extra long weekends next year and get to Frankfurt and Cologne, so I look forward to hearing what you think.

Edited by Tommy!

• Awards Moderator

Has anyone travelled up to Alaska from Vancouver (long shot, I know)?

I'm planning an extended holiday on my own next year with the very rough plan of travelling across Canada from east to west over the course of 2-3 weeks, then from Vancouver to Alaska for 1-2 weeks. I don't want to do it all in a car so the current dilemma is which part to do via rail and which part to drive myself. Want to be stopping off and spending a bit of time in idyllic locations, but not be committed to any kind of timetable.

Also if anyone can recommend somewhere in or near Anchorage where I can stay for a week or so, that'd be good. Cheers.

Has anyone ever holidayed in Scotland? I'm trying to talk the Mrs into heading to west coast or highlands and any recommendations would be appreciated. Willing to spend a decent amount of coin as it would be our main holiday. I just can't be arsed getting on another plane. So far my diary for 2017 looks like:

Feb - Boston (work)

March - Tokyo (work)

May - China (work)

June - Las Vegas (Stag)

July - Bangkok (work)

November - Atlanta (visit family)

The Mrs wants to go to Portugal for a week in Aug/Sep but I can see myself having an anxiety attack/killing someone if I'm shoehorned on to another plane.

• Paid Members

Also if anyone can recommend somewhere in or near Anchorage where I can stay for a week or so, that'd be good. Cheers.

A friend of mine was in Alaska this year so I just asked her for recommendations. This was her reply:

"Well, there are loads of hotels in Anchorage and the city isn't big so any of the 'normal' hotels would be fine. My advice would be to not plan to stay in Anchorage too long though because there isn't too much to do in the city. He should definitely check out this website

http://www.alaska.org/ it was a godsend when trying to plan my trip."

--

I'm going to the US in May - 5 days in Atlanta to do some Band of Brothers / Walking Dead stuff then driving to Orlando for 11 nights for theme parks and general immaturity.