The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah, not really sure what would make you anxious or stressed about a holiday unless its the planning or general having to be organised with passports etc.

I think its the being organised to be honest.

That and bloody foreigners.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So my 2017 holidays are all booked. I'm taking my girlfriend to Dubrovnik in April for her birthday and she's taking me to Mexico in June for my 30th. The Mexico thing just escalated and escalated. I was all ready to go spend two weeks somewhere in Spain or something. That became a trip to Rhodes, which became a trip to Cape Verde, which became a trip to Tobago which finally ended up being a trip to Mexico. Can't wait. Unfortunately I'll be about a 12 hour drive from Mexico City so no wrestling in Arena Mexico for me.

Booked our first family holiday in 9 years last week, which is both exciting and strange at the same time as it will be the first without my dad. Booked a villa in Portugal which will be the first time I'll have experienced the country properly as I was only a few months old the last time we went there back in 1985. Its going to be me, my mum, my sister and her fiance, my baby niece, my cousin, her husband and their son who is like a nephew to me and my sister

• Paid Members

That sounds top Riddum, villa holidays are great from my recollection as a kid.

I'm nearly upon the last city (Lille) of the Europa League interail trip. My exhaustive review of each city, having spent about 30 hours in each, is as follows.

Brussels: Not particularly nice.

Amsterdam: Brilliant. Deserves far more than being a prostitution and drug city.

Cologne: Beautiful and pleasant

Frankfurt: Poor bars. Good museums. Wouldn't bother again.

• Awards Moderator

Amsterdam: Brilliant. Deserves far more than being a prostitution and drug city.

When thinking of Amsterdam I struggle to bring anything to mind beyond these two things. Yet over the past two years several people I know, who wouldn't be into either of these hobbies, have been and absolutely loved it. I must give it a go.

I've got a weekend in Singapore coming up to see guns and roses going with a mate amd we've been there before anyone been amd got Any good bar recommendations?

Then off to Thailand for 5 days a couple of weeks later to an island called koh samet looks lovely and peaceful as it's a weekend get away for the Bangkok Thais not overseas tourists. We are going in the week so should be dead! Looks clean too unlike Vietnam which is full of trash absolutely everywhere.

• Paid Members

Add me to the Amsterdam lovers list. Beautiful city- the old town is stunning and walking around the canals (even during freezing cold November) was really nice.

The red light district is a must-see experience, real eye-opening experience. The architecture is stunning and also quirky. Saw an Ajax game at the Amsterdam Arena as well, which was loads of fun. Highly recommend the city. If I'm honest, there wasn't nowhere near as many drug references or special cafes as I was expecting, but apparently they've clamped down on that side of things over the past decade.

Got a few holidays coming up this year. My folks are taking my family and both my sister's families away to Fuertaventura in August. Hotel is right in the middle of sand dunes, so I'm looking forward to getting a dune buggy. Taking our kids to Butlins (Bognor) over Easter for a week and I'm also planning to take my wife away for a long weekend as it's our ten year wedding anniversary. Not sure where yet though, maybe Paris as we haven't been there since 2002, where I proposed to her.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I've been to Amsterdam once, when I was 15, or 20 years ago to put that into perspective. 

Was playing in the European Championships and the idiots gave us two hours 'free time' - unaccompanied (imagine that shit happening today!) to take in the sights.  Imagine our delight when we stumbled across 'The Red Lion' and discovered Eggy's claims that you could get beer at 14 were in fact true, and the coaches displeasure as we stumbled out, quite literally six pints later.

Novelty soon wore off when we had to get up at 7 for practice, which started with wind sprints funnily enough.  Bastards.  I'm pretty sure that's why i've never drank since.

Anyway, I digress.  My lasting memory of Amsterdam is being chased to the team bus by a group of skinheads who clocked our discreet 'GREAT BRITAIN LIONS' t-shirts and proceeded to leg us through Amsterdam city centre screaming LADY DIANA at us a bit like that football commentator, only far more aggressively.

• Paid Members

I went to Amsterdam when I was 10 with my aunt on one of her fag runs. Watched The World Is Not Enough in the ferry’s tiny, 20-seat cinema. All I can remember about the city is sat in a McDonald’s, feeling a bit embarrassed as there was a sex museum with a massive penis in the foyer across the street.

Has it been "cleaned up" much like they were suggesting? I loved the whole aura of the place when I was there. The red light district is like euro trash live and outside that is just a cool ass city. I'm jealous when I hear of people going to European places now as that's like me popping to Thailand Malaysia Singapore etc but honestly the differences between European climates and cultures is much bigger amd far more stimulating. Although we've agreed to Japan for our honeymoon I think both me and the other half are tempted to have a few weeks in Europe instead