The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

59 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No, again, that response is to you behaviour, not your condition. People on here are generally very sensitive and sympathetic to mental health issues. Many on here have received great support from each other that has helped them through some really tough times.

None of them started that dialogue by accusing people of bullying and shaming.

Uh, behaviour are the condition are pretty damn closely linked! Slam the former too harshly and it seems like you're trying to make me feel guilty for having the latter. 

That said, the fact that people have helped each other out (mainly via PM or other means, of course) is one of the great things about this place. Since I'm not one of the cool kids here, I'm not sure whom I could've turned to, though. I'm not seeking to 'get over' being an Aspie because that's not how things work anyway. Anxiety and depression can be side effects of it, however, and if anything it feels like some people here want to cause and exacerbate those in me rather than alleviating them. That's why I said it's probably best if I disappear for a month and a half.

Yes, the dialogue shouldn't start that way, but it does come across as if I've been bullied into snapping until the point where I felt I had to mention it. 

47 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What you are saying is tantamount to asking, "Please don't call me out on being a nitpicking, thread derailing wally because of my Asperger's". And as someone who has had his own significant mental health problems over the last 10 years, it sticks in my craw no fucking end.

I'm sorry to hear that you have suffered mentally in the past decade, Devon, but equally I'm really not sure what your point is here or how you think that's constructive. I didn't invent Asperger's a couple of hours ago to play mental health Top Trumps. Just because you have had problems before and might have mentioned it first in other threads doesn't invalidate anyone else's struggles and confusion and give you the right to upset them. Nobody's condition is more or less important than anybody else's.

8 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

With subtlety, humility and politeness. 

Yeah, I don't really do the first two. I'm already trying my best with the third one. Apologies if it doesn't always come across that way.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

I'm sorry to hear that you have suffered mentally in the past decade, Devon, but equally I'm really not sure what your point is here or how you think that's constructive. I didn't invent Asperger's a couple of hours ago to play mental health Top Trumps. Just because you have had problems before and might have mentioned it first in other threads doesn't invalidate anyone else's struggles and confusion and give you the right to upset them. Nobody's condition is more or less important than anybody else's.

I never said that you invented it. OBVIOUSLY I'm not saying that. I'm questioning why you don't understand that, when somebody pulled you up on you being pedantic again, thinking it was a fair and appropriate comeback to accuse people on this forum of bullying you for having Asperger's was completely wrong. And having just admitted yourself that you have not spoken about this on the forum, wouldn't you agree that it is a ridiculous accusation to make?

My point was not "I'm more mental than you!" It was highlighting how shitty it is to accuse people of microaggression when there's nothing of the sort at play here.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

if you're a neurotypical it should've become increasingly obvious. 

On a forum where we spend pages debating the rules of a Submission Match, it doesn't stand out. 

21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I never said that you invented it. OBVIOUSLY I'm not saying that. I'm questioning why you don't understand that, when somebody pulled you up on you being pedantic again, thinking it was a fair and appropriate comeback to accuse people on this forum of bullying you for having Asperger's was completely wrong. And having just admitted yourself that you have not spoken about this on the forum, wouldn't you agree that it is a ridiculous accusation to make?

My point was not "I'm more mental than you!" It was highlighting how shitty it is to accuse people of microaggression when there's nothing of the sort at play here.

Yes, I understand you didn't literally say I invented Asperger's. Yes, I hadn't mentioned it before, but I wasn't impressed by the initial reaction once I did mention it.

I'm not sure that terms such as 'microaggression' are helpful, but there was already a backlash here against a posting style perceived as weird or overly direct behaviour, which felt like bullying at times.

5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

On a forum where we spend pages debating the rules of a Submission Match, it doesn't stand out. 

Ha, fair point. I did particularly enjoy this overthinking of what precisely different 'Extreme Rules' stipulations should mean, if that's what you're referring to. That kind of ramble ought to be encouraged more.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So, my partner is off on holiday for two weeks in September (Bulgaria and Turkey and possibly some other places) with a mate. Originally, I was just going to bum around the house and watch the cats but I'm thinking I might take a four or five day all-inclusive trip to somewhere in Europe that'll be warm still.

I'm looking at Spain, because I love Spain, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a short break for someone travelling by themselves? Cheap as possible, whilst not staying in some rat infested hell hole - and, as I said, all-inclusive. I've been able to find an all-inclusive five nights in Girona, flights and hotel included, for like £350. Not sure if I'll find something better than that!

• Paid Members

In relation to the above, I'm probably gonna book a cheapo 5 to 7 nights in Loret de Mar which is about an hour or so away from Barcelona city, which is my favourite city in the world. 

I'm planning to go somewhere between the 11th and 20th of September. I'm HOPING that Barcelona will be playing a home match at Camp Nou whilst I'm in the country. La Liga fixtures aren't out yet so I can't check. Assuming it's not an El Clasico, does anyone know what a standard ticket price is to go see a Barcelona match and am I right in thinking that outside of a Real Madrid match, tickets should be fairly cheap? 

1 minute ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Will let you know, assuming they're playing at home when I'm over there! 

There's a cool magazine called Football Weekends which I was flicking through the other day at Smiths. Pretty sure they have a back issue with a Barca special which might be worth picking up?

43 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Will let you know, assuming they're playing at home when I'm over there! 

Those kinds of prices put our league to shame man. 

The fixtures are out in 6 days, but even without being able to see them yet, I think you've picked dates which mean it's virtually certain Barcelona will be playing at home at least once during your stay. The 11th or 12th will be a Champions League matchday (though they could be away then), with both the following weekend and the next midweek likely to have a full programme of La Liga matches. If Barça somehow end up with 3 away games in a row, that's clearly just the Spanish FA trying to mess you around.

I took in the cross-city derby ages ago back when Espanyol played at the Olympic Stadium before the move to Cornellà. Not been to Lloret de Mar myself, but my nan used to speak highly of it. Agreed about the ticket prices for top clashes compared to here, but I've found the Spanish lower divisions can be just as much of a rip-off as in England. And yes, Barcelona is a great city, although it's not even my favourite Spanish one.

• Paid Members

That fucking image will never get old. Do you think the players realise how dumb they look? Especially, of course, Suarez.

Sorry for football chat outside the designated football chat area.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

On 16/07/2017 at 2:54 AM, SpursRiot2012 said:

Cheers, @Fog Dude I actually just booked my trip. 18th to the 23rd so will have to see if there will be a game during that time. 

No worries. The fixtures were released today and Barcelona are at home to Eibar week commencing September the 17th, so you should get onto looking for tickets for that match straight away. Either side of that they have two away games.