The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

Going to Miami in June with the hubby for just under 2 weeks. Anyone been before? Our hotel is in South Beach. Looking for any tips and advice on the best trips to take while we are there! I have had a look on Expedia's "Things to do" page and there are just so many to choose from!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DebbieHardy said:

Going to Miami in June with the hubby for just under 2 weeks. Anyone been before? Our hotel is in South Beach. Looking for any tips and advice on the best trips to take while we are there! I have had a look on Expedia's "Things to do" page and there are just so many to choose from!

My brother has been working in Miami for the last few months, I'll see if he has any suggestions for places to go. What sort of stuff do you want to do?

I've just booked Las Vegas for a week for my honeymoon at the end of August, we are staying in The Palazzo. I hope it lives up to reviews. I've been once to Las Vegas but it was almost 10 years ago and my fiance has never been, I'm looking forward to going again. Because of my work we could only book 1 week for the honeymoon so we are going to go away again in the October half term holidays, but maybe stick to Europe this time. We are both really keen on the idea of Iceland but I'll have see what's available in September (I won't have to money to book till then). Anyone been before? Any advice?

• Moderators

One of my best mates went to Iceland for his honeymoon. They absolutely loved it and have since been back again.

He did tell me a funny story though. They went on this Game of Thrones tour, and they were on this bus full of the worst mouthbreathing super geeks, and they played the show's theme music on a loop for over three hours. So I guess... Don't do that, unless that sounds like fun to you.

1 hour ago, chokeout said:

My brother has been working in Miami for the last few months, I'll see if he has any suggestions for places to go. What sort of stuff do you want to do?

Awesome thanks! We like the usual sightseeing and have seen trips to Everglades, Key West, etc, best places for shopping, any cool bars/restaurants we should check out, open to all fun suggestions really :)  

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

One of my best mates went to Iceland for his honeymoon. They absolutely loved it and have since been back again.

He did tell me a funny story though. They went on this Game of Thrones tour, and they were on this bus full of the worst mouthbreathing super geeks, and they played the show's theme music on a loop for over three hours. So I guess... Don't do that, unless that sounds like fun to you.

It's a good job you said that otherwise I probably would have done the tour as we are both Game of Thrones fans. I don't like it that much, I think I would turn violent if they played the theme tune on a loop.

I know that doing your own thing when out walking/trekking is really discouraged, it can be quite dangerous, I don't know about driving though. I'll look in to it. I'm more bothered about going to the Blue Lagoons, seeing the volcanoes and obviously the Northern Lights, I could miss out the Game of Thrones stuff and still come away happy I think.

Iceland is incredible.  I'd recommend the Golden Circle tour, you'll see Gulfloss and Geysir, astounding sights that will stay with you.  Food is incredible especially seafood but I'd avoid the rotted shark, it's worse than it sounds.  There is a free English newspaper in Reykjavik that has a page called "This Guide Will Get You Fucked".  It lists all the happy hours in Reykjavik, as drinks can be expensive it could come in handy.

As a one lunged cripple, I don't think I've ever breathed in cleaner air than I have in Iceland, did me the world of good.  I went in March time and it was a bit strange leaving a bar after midnight and it still being light.

Did you stay in Reykjavik? I've looked at a couple of those package deals but most of the hotels seem to be outside of Reykjavik but I don't know if that's a problem travelwise. Did you manage to see the Northern Lights? My sister (who's an amateur astronomer) says that October is a really good time of year to try and see them but she said I'd still be very lucky if I managed it

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Hi. Wondering if anybody could help. 

I'm going to Las Vegas this week. What would people recommend to wear at night? I was told it's quite chilly. Chilly enough to pull off my token Jumper look or is it real warm?

30 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

Hi. Wondering if anybody could help. 

I'm going to Las Vegas this week. What would people recommend to wear at night? I was told it's quite chilly. Chilly enough to pull off my token Jumper look or is it real warm?

When do you go? I'll be there from Thursday. Whoever told you it will be quite chilly at night either went at a different time of year or is lying. Temperature will still be high 20s, low 30s at midnight. 

• Paid Members

Thursday also. 

I checked the temp but just was under impression it was very cool at night. I've left shopping late so just wanted to be sure. Ain't having my chicken legs out at night though so will after battle through sweating in pants/jeans. 

Hope you enjoy MrK.

• Paid Members

Reporting in from the Mexican Pacific Coast. It's very, very nice. Buenos noches. 

They have a state election here today. You know, it's against federal law to serve alcohol on election day? Some dismayed Brits on the piss at the hotel today. Or not, as the case may be.