The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'd like to take the girlfriend away as a present for her 30th birthday. Problem is, her birthdays in January. Any ideas of long weekend type places that won't be cold and miserable but still affordable in Feb-March?

If you're looking for decent weather at that time of year then the Canary Islands is a good bet. Depends if you want an activity-type city break or not.

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'd like to take the girlfriend away as a present for her 30th birthday. Problem is, her birthdays in January. Any ideas of long weekend type places that won't be cold and miserable but still affordable in Feb-March?

Lisbon's very popular at the moment - according to Portuguese people I know it's never cold there. I haven't been myself but we do have half an eye on it as next trip.

• Paid Members

Lisbon is excellent, other half’s home city so we go once or twice a year all going well. Stunning archtecture and lots to see/do. I can’t remember the exact name of the spot but under the golden gate-esque bridge there’s so great variety at night there by the riverside in terms of bars/eateries etc. Head for Pena National Palace as well, stunning views (mind the hills!). You’re not too far from the beaches over the other side of the bridge either. 

7 hours ago, David said:

The time of year has come where I leave the UK for winter. Rome is first on the agenda for a month or two.

Anyone been? Any nuggets of useful information or advice? Thanks in advance.

Public transport is ace and cheap, so don't worry about being away from the centre.

• Paid Members

Tagging on to that, I'm taking the gf away to Italy for her 30th and we're doing a couple of days each in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. I'm taking the cameras so i can get some pics done while i'm there so any suggestions for cool places to see or eat are greatly accepted.

5 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Tagging on to that, I'm taking the gf away to Italy for her 30th and we're doing a couple of days each in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. I'm taking the cameras so i can get some pics done while i'm there so any suggestions for cool places to see or eat are greatly accepted.

The whole of Venice, essentially.  I love going there.  Best advice for eating is to take a stroll 5 minutes away from San Marco and the price drops considerably.  Avoid the tourist menu as well.  My favourite bit of Italian cuisine is the primo and secondi platti dining.  They are about 3/4 size mains so both fill you up.  Pasta for the first and fish/meat for the second.  The waiter will know about decent regional wines as well, so ask them to recommend a bottle.  The Jewish Ghetto is a great place for restaurants and old buildings.

I got a train from Venice to Florence, about 2 hours through great countryside.  If you could stop off at a few towns on the way, I'd bet you'd get great pictures.  Because a lot of the buildings are old, accessibility may be a problem if your hotel isn't new.  Be prepared for stairs!  Once, I was climbing the Duomo steps (shit scared of heights but what a view) and had to take a breather.  I was overtaken by a woman in her 80s and never felt smaller.

For the best view in Florence though, head to Piazzale Michelangelo.  It's on a hill (loads of steps) and gives you great panoramic views of the city.  Palazzo Pitti that side of the river is worth a half day explore as well.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Rome - see the big stuff like the Colosseum and the Vatican, but my favourite place is the Keats-Shelley House, just next to the Spanish Steps. It’s a tiny little English language museum - you have to buzz at the door to get in - but fascinating if you’re interested in poetry or Romanticism. Some lovely rooms and great views out to the Steps in the room Keats spent time in at the end of his life. Get gelato from Giolitti. There’ll be a queue but it’ll be worth it.

Florence - Florence is my favourite place in the world. Do the Duomo, the baptistery, the Gates of Paradise. Climb to the top of the campanile and the Duomo. Just stand and look at it for hours. If you like art, the Uffizi is massive to the point you stop taking things in but seeing the Birth Of Venus in person was amazing, I stood there looking at it for about half an hour. If you want to see Michelangelo’s Dave, book in advance otherwise it’s a mega wait. Wander the streets, go in the churches, find the places Dante lived, look at the leather workshops, buy her a handbag. 

Venice - just walk around; you’re in Venice! If you can, avoid cruise ship hours, you’ll have a much better time. Get a mask.

Milan  - use the trams to get around, you buy tickets from most corner shops. The Last Supper is a must-see, it’s breathtaking to be in its presence,  it that’s another one you have to book in advance.  If you really want to get in the fancy good books, go to the opera or ballet at La Scalia. You’ll never feel posher.

Eat pizza in all four places. Some places will be better than others but every damn one will be 100 times better than anything you’ll get here. The takeaways are better than our restaurants. Same for pasta.

I want to go to Italy again!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

13 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Eat pizza in all four places. Some places will be better than others but every damn one will be 100 times better than anything you’ll get here. The takeaways are better than our restaurants. Same for pasta.

I have a feeling I'm going to be leaving this place looking like Ricky Hatton after Christmas dinner.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:04 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Thanks for the links. The week we're going they're playing Atlanta on the Wednesday and Boston on the Saturday - we'd hoped the Atlanta one might be a bit more affordable. It's not the sport so much as 'going to see something at Madison Square Garden' for me so may have to just skip it unless cheap ones turn up nearer the time.

You're welcome. You could try nearer the time whilst your there to see if any cheaper tickets are available. Apparently the Knicks tickets are 4x as much as the average ticket price for other teams apart from the Lakers. I guess because of Madison Square Garden and its situated in an affluent area of New York. Does MSG do any tour(s) at all? Maybe do that instead. This site might offer cheap tickets nearer the time

https://www.msg.com/knicks-tickets

But as Atlanta and Boston are marquee teams that might still make it expensive. I think you'd have more chance with the Hawks tickets being cheaper but it might be worthwhile if you do want to see the Basketball to be able to say I saw the Knicks vs the Celtics.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

Is there any Ice Hockey on when you are in NY @HarmonicGenerator? It will be easier to get Rangers tickets, plus in my opinion Ice Hockey is far more entertaining than basketball. 

Yeah, they’re on the Tuesday - but it’s still $70 per person. I think we’ll wait until nearer the time and just see! And hope the Springsteen On Broadway ticket lottery picks us.