The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

I'm planning on a long weekend with the missus in Europe in March. I want somewhere warm, near a river/sea and historic. I'm leaning towards Bologna or Venice. Anyone got any gems I could lool into?

Even if you had not offered it as an option, Venice would be my suggestion. I have been there twice, what a stunning city. Especially in the evening when a lot of the day trippers / cruise ship passengers have buggered off for the day. It's not much of a place for nightlife though, if that's something you're after. 

Since meeting my partner a couple of years back I have had a fair few great holidays, I'd always recommend Stalis in Crete - great food, great weather, amazing people and very little trouble. Next year we're off there again in July and to Cape Verde in January. If all goes to plan in 2017 we're off to the Maldives so we can hopefully see the sea of stars.

Have you looked at resorts in the Maldives yet? If not, I cannot recommend Kuredu strongly enough.

• Paid Members

I booked another short break today. I've gone from having no holidays to having 4 this year.

I'm going to Pripyat (Chernobyl) in April, a European road trip in May and going abroad for New Year. Then, today, a Band of Brothers reunion was announced for Bastogne (Belgium) in December so I just booked that too.

I'm so excited about all of them!

• Paid Members

Can't go wrong with Florence. Venice has got the uniqueness but when we went Florence was definitely our favourite place.

You've got the river, the Ponte Vecchio, the Dante connection, Michelangelo's David, the Uffizi, the Boboli gardens... I'd go back. Take me with you!

I did have a look at Florence but it seems like maybe it's too big for a 3 day break? I don't want to leave thinking "fucking hell I barely got to see anything".

Edited by LaGoosh

Can't go wrong with Florence. Venice has got the uniqueness but when we went Florence was definitely our favourite place.

You've got the river, the Ponte Vecchio, the Dante connection, Michelangelo's David, the Uffizi, the Boboli gardens... I'd go back. Take me with you!

I did have a look at Florence but it seems like maybe it's too big for a 3 day break? I don't want to leave thinking "fucking hell I barely got to see anything".

I stayed in Florence for three days after spending three in Venice. I kept busy the whole time and found it enough time. If you do go to the Uffizi, I'd look at getting tickets before you go, because you'd spend all day queuing to get in.

• Awards Moderator

I stayed in Florence for three days after spending three in Venice. I kept busy the whole time and found it enough time. If you do go to the Uffizi, I'd look at getting tickets before you go, because you'd spend all day queuing to get in.
Same for the David, if you don't pre-book you could be waiting hours to see him and say "well, there he is. Michelangelo's Dave."

I'd say three days is enough. You'll not get everything done in that time (if you want to do everything) but if you had, say, an 'art' day, a 'climbing up to the top of the Duomo' historical day and 'just wandering around the nice streets in the old part of the city and getting pick n' mix from the Lindt shop' day, you'd be fine. And if you miss anything, it's an excuse to go back!

(Florence also has a great Hard Rock Cafe in an old cinema.)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Same for the David, if you don't pre-book you could be waiting hours to see him and say "well, there he is. Michelangelo's Dave."

I'd say three days is enough. You'll not get everything done in that time (if you want to do everything) but if you had, say, an 'art' day, a 'climbing up to the top of the Duomo' historical day and 'just wandering around the nice streets in the old part of the city and getting pick n' mix from the Lindt shop' day, you'd be fine. And if you miss anything, it's an excuse to go back!

(Florence also has a great Hard Rock Cafe in an old cinema.)

We went to Florence last year. It's not as large as other cities, so if you plan what you want to do and book in advance to the more popular places, many of which are within walking distance of eachother (Accademia where Michael's David is housed is less than 10 minutes to the Domo, and from there its a 15 minute walk to the Uffizi) you can get a lot done Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I booked another short break today. I've gone from having no holidays to having 4 this year.

I'm going to Pripyat (Chernobyl) in April, a European road trip in May and going abroad for New Year. Then, today, a Band of Brothers reunion was announced for Bastogne (Belgium) in December so I just booked that too.

I'm so excited about all of them!

Think of all the fag-smoking monochrome images you could take for your dating profiles!

Actually, we went for a morning stroll and happened across Pallazo Pitti. http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/Pitti_palace.html Spent about five hours there, lots of museums and beautiful grounds. It's also the same side of the river as the Michelangelo garden, which after a lot of steps offers the best view of the city, time it so you'll be there for sunset and you're guaranteed to get the old chap wet that night.