NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

I don't watch very much NJPW at all, the odd main event on a big show, but I usually keep up to date somewhat on the goings-on, and I caught a few of the matches from this weekend. I managed to see Tanahashi Vs Ospreay, Ibushi Vs Okada, Moxley Vs Juice, White Vs Naito and Ibushi Vs White. 

All were good (Moxley Vs Juice, particularly Juice refusing to use the weapons) to very good (Naito Vs White - the drawback though is the constant head drops for Naito. He's almost a certainty to end up like Misawa), to great. Ibushi Vs Okada was fantastic, as was Tanahashi Vs Ospreay, I actually think I liked it more as Tanahashi can't really do anything wrong, anytime that I've watched him anyway.

Then Ibushi Vs White ended up being a real clinker, with a clear heel Vs face dynamic that you don't always get in these big NJPW main events as the likes of Okada, Tana, Ibushi, Omega, Naito etc all have a lot of popularity. That heel/face divide really helped here I thought, and we got the right winner in the end. 

2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

That Kenta/Shibata angle was an absolute heat seeker! I got goosebumps when Shibata whipped his top off and started going to town on everyone and the crowd was going mental. Kenta going full blown heel is the perfect fit considering how he's been received by the fans thus far. Say what you want about Kenta's G1 but this angle alone makes bringing him in 1000% worth it.

If Shibata is indeed healthy enough to wrestle, even if it's just a one-off, then NJPW has a money match on their hands with this one.

I watched it and didn’t give a shit. I think it’s because I have absolutely no respect, sympathy, admiration etc for shibata. I think he’s a fucking reckless idiot. 

But the big take away for me from this Kenta run is that it’s almost impossible to believe that he is the same person as Hideo Itami. He’s been that great in comparison. Good for him. He must feel like a billion bucks. 

5 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I'm guessing still nothing for Royal Quest? 

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada Vs Minoru Suzuki plus the Rev Pro Tag tournament winners Vs GOD

If you know New Japan they generally don’t announced cards until the last minute. There’s a G1 press conference in the morning for Ibushi so they might announce more matches there.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

10 hours ago, Yakashi said:

But the big take away for me from this Kenta run is that it’s almost impossible to believe that he is the same person as Hideo Itami. He’s been that great in comparison. Good for him. He must feel like a billion bucks. 

Has he though? I mean I'm a big fan and I have been for years but I thought he was fairly sloppy in places and his timing wasn't fantastic etc. He was fine for the most part but it's not like he went out there and stole the show every night. Sure he seemed more motivated but in terms of overall performance I wasn't blown away.

I do think he'll only get better with time though and now he's got a solid direction to sink his teeth into. He's a good talent to have around but he's working with some of the best in the world and he doesn't feel on that level quite yet.

The full card has now been revealed for Royal Quest! Preview:

https://www.njpw1972.com/57930 EXTREMELY LIMITED TICKETS REMAIN! ACT FAST!

IWGP Heavyweight Championship Minoru Suzuki vs Kazuchika Okada (c)

RPW Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Zack Sabre Junior (c)

NEVER Openweight Championship KENTA vs Tomohiro Ishii (c)

IWGP Tag Team Championships Winners of RPW Road to Royal Quest Tournament vs GoD (c)

SANADA & Tetsuya Naito vs Jay White & Chase Owens

Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles vs Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo

Kota Ibushi & Juice Robinson vs Yujiro Takahashi & Hikuleo

Ren Narita, Shota Umino & Ryusuke Taguchi vs SHO, YOH & Rocky Romero

I'm honestly quite baffled by the reaction to KENTA in the G1. There seems to be some sort of narrative that he was a letdown, out of place, not on the rest of the guys level etc.

He was never going to be like mid-2000s NOAH/ROH KENTA when he was comfortably one of the best in the world. He's older, heavier and has a lot of injuries. It's also wildly unfair to hold someone to the standards of Okada, Ospreay, Ibushi etc.

I personally really enjoyed KENTA in the grumpy ass kicking outsider role. Reminds me of an aging Kawada/Tenryu type. I don't know how you can have great matches with Ibushi, Tana, Okada, Sabre and Evil and still be seen as a disappointment.

The angle with Shibata was incredible. Loved it. Pure emotion from the crowd.

Ibushi match (I suppose he does deserve a rest) and no Shingo (ditto) aside the Royal Quest card is awesome. So glad I ended up getting tickets.

• Paid Members

Sad about the lack of Liger on this show, given it was his last potential appearance at a big UK show. Having his last UK appearance at a Rev Pro show in Cheltenham seems awfully flat given his history over here.  

4 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

From my very limited NJPW knowledge that looks a pretty good card - surprised Ospreay isn't featured that prominently though, why is that?

Big cards like this only usually have 3 singles matches on them, he’s not currently in a feud with anyone and he’s had 20+ gruelling tournament matches in the last 2 months, I assume that match is for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Titles?

ELP and Ishimori are the champions.

• Paid Members

Also, Ibushi-Okada confirmed for January 4, but Ibushi also challenged Naito for the I-C title on January 5 which strongly suggests:

* they are having the big names working big matches both nights; and

* somebody's probably going to break their neck on January 5.

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Sad about the lack of Liger on this show, given it was his last potential appearance at a big UK show. Having his last UK appearance at a Rev Pro show in Cheltenham seems awfully flat given his history over here.  

I got an email from RevPro advertising his last U.K. match for the Cheltenham show. Pretty fucked off about it really as I was fully expecting Royal Quest to be his UK swan song 

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Zack Sabre Jr Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada Vs Minoru Suzuki plus the Rev Pro Tag tournament winners Vs GOD

If you know New Japan they generally don’t announced cards until the last minute. There’s a G1 press conference in the morning for Ibushi so they might announce more matches there.

Well that is 2 pretty big matches. I didn't expect a whole card announcement as obviously there will be tags. I would expect Ibushi to defend his Wrestle Kingdom contract.