Tomohiro Ishii 8 - Eliminated

Toru Yano 8 - Eliminated

Jeff Cobb 6 - Eliminated

Taichi 6 - Eliminated

Juice Robinson 6 - Eliminated

Shingo Takagi 6 - Eliminated

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Despite skipping the tag matches, family and work commitments have meant I’ve still fallen so far behind that I’ll likely never catch up with everything. Time to start skimming through. Does anyone have a list of matches worth watching from Night Ten onwards?

2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Despite skipping the tag matches, family and work commitments have meant I’ve still fallen so far behind that I’ll likely never catch up with everything. Time to start skimming through. Does anyone have a list of matches worth watching from Night Ten onwards?

Night 10 - Juice/Ishii, Naito/Moxley

Night 11 - Ospreay/ZSJ, Okada/Archer

Night 12 - Cobb/Takagi, Yano/Moxley, Taichi/White 

Night 13 - Ospreay/Evil, Okada/Sanada

Night 14 - Moxley/White, Naito/Takagi

Right then one more round taking place on Saturday and Sunday with the final on Monday.

Kevin Kelly and Rocky Romero have done such a bad job at explaining who is still alive in the G1 I’ll explain it here.

Kazuchika Okada and Kota Ibushi will main event Saturday’s Show with the winner winning A Block as everyone in the world predicted, if it finishes in a 30 minute time limit draw though Okada wins the Block.

B Block is a bit tougher to explain though as 4 people are level on 10 points each, Hirooki Goto, Jay White, Jon Moxley and Tetsuya Naito are all level, tiebreakers will probably come into play.

B Block matches taking place on Sunday between the B Block contenders are Moxley/Juice, Goto/Shingo and Naito/White in the main event.  

How do they win B Block?

Jay White - Needs to beat Naito and hope Goto loses as he has a loss against him

Tetsuya Naito - Needs to beat White and hope Moxley loses as he has a loss against him

Hirooko Goto - Needs to beat Shingo and hope White beats Naito as he has a loss against Naito

Jon Moxley - Needs to beat Juice and hope White and Goto lose as he has losses against them 

FINAL STANDINGS 

A Block

Kota Ibushi 14 - Winner

Kazuchika Okada 14 - Eliminated

Bad Luck Fale 8 - Eliminated

Kenta 8 - Eliminated

Hiroshi Tanahashi 8 - Eliminated 

Evil 8 - Eliminated

Sanada 8 - Eliminated

Zack Sabre Jr 8 - Eliminated 

Will Ospreay 8 - Eliminated

Lance Archer 6 - Eliminated

B Block

Jay White 12 - Winner

Hirooki Goto 10 - Eliminated

Jon Moxley 10 - Eliminated

Tetsuya Naito 10 - Eliminated

Tomohiro Ishii 8 - Eliminated

Jeff Cobb 8 - Eliminated

Toru Yano 8 - Eliminated

Taichi 8 - Eliminated

Juice Robinson 8 - Eliminated

Shingo Takagi 8 - Eliminated

Edited by TildeGuy~!

49 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Kevin Kelly and Rocky Romero have done such a bad job at explaining who is still alive in the G1 I’ll explain it here.

I usually don't mind Kelly and Romero. They were driving me absolutely insane with their inability to do some very basic maths during Okada/Evil.

Shingo/Naito is currently my favourite match of the tournament. I suspect that may change when I get home tonight and watch Shingo/Ishii.

• Paid Members

I know conventional wisdom suggests Naito and Ibushi in the final at this point, but I can't get past the idea of Moxley vs Okada as a massive curve ball final. Probably not a chance it's happening, but Naito/Ibushi feels so neat and tidy it's making me question if it's too easy. 

Shingo vs Ishii was possibly the best match of the tournament so far depending on your tastes. If you like FIGHTING SPIRIT~! then this is right up your alley. I fucking loved it. Shingo is comfortably one of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

If I was to put together a shortlist list of 'must watch' matches from this tournament I would go with:

Shingo vs Ishii (Just two powerful bad asses destroying each other to death and beyond. You don't even need to know anything about these two going in except they are hard bastards who can give and withstand a lot of punishment)

Shingo vs Naito (Great backstory building up to this as they have known each other since training in the Hamiguchi gym almost 2 decades ago. Naito suggested that he beat Shingo in sparring before Shingo left for Dragon Gate but was apparently lying to save face. They are of course now in the same faction in different weight classes. Given the level of star Naito is to the NJPW fanbase, this was perhaps Shingo's biggest match to date and tells a great story of Shingo stepping up and taking the multi time G1 winner and IWGP champ to the absolute limit)

Sanada vs Okada (Okada has dominated their singles matches over the years but with Sanada coming ever closer to the elusive win over the ace. The closing stretch of this match is great story telling and high drama. One of the rare instances of performance of the referee lifting the match to an ever higher level. Instant classic.)

Tanahashi vs Sabre (Excellent technical match. Not the usual big moves and kick outs style match that you see often in the G1. This is a style Tana could work for years and stay at the top of the card if he chose to)

Ibushi vs Ospreay (Both men came in injured which played into the story of the match and it was all the better for it. Not the flippy match some would expect. Bear in mind this is a rematch of Ospreay concussing and beating Ibushi at the Dome in January)

Possible big matches set up for Royal Quest / Destruction Tour so far then:

Ibushi vs Ospreay rubber match. Ospreay got the win at the Tokyo Dome, Ibushi got his win back in the G1. Could see this being a main event for London which isn't the worst idea for that card given how over Ospreay is at the moment and how rarely Ibushi comes to the UK.

Okada should defend against Sanada. Makes perfect sense given Sanada finally pinning the champ in the G1 and its a guaranteed great match. Fans seem to really be getting behind Sanada.

Ishii should defend the NEVER belt against Goto and if he's successful then his next defence should be against Shingo.

Wouldn't be surprised by either a Yano/Naito or Taichi/Naito IC title match.

Tanahashi could challenge Sabre for the RPW belt?

I assume Ospreay would defend against the US J Cup winner too?

4 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Shingo vs Ishii was possibly the best match of the tournament so far depending on your tastes. If you like FIGHTING SPIRIT~! then this is right up your alley. I fucking loved it. Shingo is comfortably one of the best wrestlers in the world right now. 

Shingo vs Ishii (Just two powerful bad asses destroying each other to death and beyond. You don't even need to know anything about these two going in except they are hard bastards who can give and withstand a lot of punishment) 

100% agree. This match was perfect modern fighting spirit. As big a fan of puroresu as I am, I can concede that it often seems to devolve into head drops, no selling and spamming finishers. Not this one. Like you say, just a couple of double hard bastards willing to take a beating. Pure psychology based on strikes and timing. Shingo became one of my faves officially here. I feel like anyone else would've had a standing drag out with Ishii, but they both here knew when to crumple. There was a strike off toward the end where you could feel it build but then Ishii caught Shingo with a quick strike and Shingo went down like he'd been shot. I was grinning right the way through, and practically punched the air when they started kicking out at one. Marvellous stuff.

I kind of check out now. The hook of the G1 for me is always seeing midcarders step up. Now we're into the finals with the expected suspects, I tune out a little, especially with Okada who I now see as efficient rather than exciting. I'll still be pulling for Naito.

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I kind of check out now. The hook of the G1 for me is always seeing midcarders step up. Now we're into the finals with the expected suspects, I tune out a little, especially with Okada who I now see as efficient rather than exciting. I'll still be pulling for Naito.

Thats been the real surprising pleasure for me. Learning to love some of the guys I wasn't a big fan of before. As much as I've enjoyed the top level ones as expected, it has been nice to see others step up and really shine.