NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Louch said:

Does the timer on anyone else new Japan world move slow? Must be about 4 seconds before the clock moves a second. at 2hrs 59 mins of today’s show, and Kenta has only just appeared 

Yeah, it's a weird issue bit happens during all the live streams, at least when watching on a Chrome browser.

It's been a fun couple of shows thus far! Nothing blow away (I've not seen any of today's show yet) but I REALLY enjoyed Ospreay vs SANADA, Ishii vs Cobb and EVIL vs Ibushi.

Oh, Ospreay is off with an undisclosed injury so he's missed today multi-man tag. 

This may be part of a clever scheme to give Ibushi more time to heal. After today’s show, Ibushi’s next match is his singles vs Ospreay on Thursday. If that match is cancelled due to Ospreay’s ‘injury’, his next singles match is against SANADA on the 20th, which offers even more recovery time.

So I’m seeing this as a precautionary reaction for Ibushi and not so much for Ospreay, although he could probably do with the extra recovery time as well.

Edited by Accident Prone

Ibushi wrestled on the show today so I don’t think it was part of a plan, Ospreay was probably given the night off to heal up for a mental main event on Thursday, anyways, Current Standings after Night 4

Current Standings After Night 5

A Block

Kazuchika Okada 6

Kenta 6

Lance Archer 4

Evil 4

Hiroshi Tanahashi 2

Bad Luck Fale 2

Kota Ibushi 2

Will Ospreay 2

Sanada 2

Zack Sabre Jr 0

B Block

Tomohiro Ishii 4

Jon Moxley 4

Juice Robinson 4

Taichi 2

Shingo Takagi 2

Toru Yano 2

Hirooki Goto 2

Jeff Cobb 0

Jay White 0

Tetsuya Naito 0

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I appreciate it's early, but based on the booking so far, do we reckon Naito is winning the whole thing and they're doing the old "high profile competitor struggles from the off but gets going with a few big wins and rallies to make the finals on the last night"? 

No complaints if so, especially if Taichi is getting a high profile shot at the IC belt (which would also keep Naito busy til January) in the meantime. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Ibushi wrestled on the show today so I don’t think it was part of a plan, Ospreay was probably given the night off to heal up for a mental main event on Thursday.

He was hidden in a 6-man, that's practically a night off for him. Taking the eyes of Ibushi's ankle and placing it on Ospreay's mystery injury gives a solid out for cancelling the match between the two if they need to, or if they do go ahead with it there will be no high expectations due to the injuries both men are claiming to have.

It could all lead to brilliant story telling, never the less.

3 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

He was hidden in a 6-man, that's practically a night off for him. Taking the eyes of Ibushi's ankle and placing it on Ospreay's mystery injury gives a solid out for cancelling the match between the two if they need to, or if they do go ahead with it there will be no high expectations due to the injuries both men are claiming to have.

It could all lead to brilliant story telling, never the less.

He wrestled the bulk of a 2 on 2 actually, regardless of that he went 20 minutes with Evil on Sunday.

But yea, it’ll be a good match regardless of injuries.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

It was a tag? Fair enough then. I assumed he'd be in a 6-man now to give him more time but he's a fucking mad man obviously.

Yeah, that twenty minutes with EVIL blew me away. The last time I cringed that much at someone working over a limb was HBK's '02 return match. EVIL was twisting that ankle like he was using a tire iron. Ibushi and Cena must share the same DNA and/or doctor.

Some thoughts from the first 4 nights with ratings...

My 4+* matches...

• Archer vs Ospreay ****1/2
  • SANADA vs Sabre ****
  • White vs Goto ****1/3
  • Ishii vs Cobb ****
  • Sabre vs Okada ****
  • Ishii vs White ****1/4

Moxley and Cobb did the slowest double clothesline on the ramp EVER! 

I haven't been that impressed by KENTA or Moxley. They have had fair showings but the hype massively outweighs what they are offering.

Tanahashi is sure as hell slowing down. He looks much slower than even a year ago.

Okada seemed a step slow in his showing against Sabre - the worst of the matches they have had so far. Surprised at the result, can only assume it will be Ospreay vs Okada at Royal Quest.

White has really impressed and I haven't been a fan but he is a great heel. 

Archer has also been impressive and could really play the Psycho Sid type dominating heel or badass face.

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Chris Charlton is off the English commentary desk at the request of TV Asahi. Really weird of them to force something like that; do they even air the show with the English commentary?

I'm probably going to go back to the Japanese commentary as I find the Rocky/Kelly pairing is lacking without Chris filling us in on the history, context, traditions and mid-match translations. The chemistry they had as a three-man booth was superb. It's such a shame.

I read yesterday they didn’t like his look or accent and only want him to translate from now on, I noticed something was wrong during the Saturday show as anytime he was translating he sounded like he had the hump.

Fuck listening to the Japanese commentary though, they had Honma on during Saturdays show.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

That's a good move. Charlton obviously has a use but good god, what an appalling voice to listen to. Stereotypical nerd voice banging on about Dark Souls for a Shingo match is reason #1 of many I don't fuck with their English commentary these days, legitimately embarrassing.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

That's a good move. Charlton obviously has a use but good god, what an appalling voice to listen to. Stereotypical nerd voice banging on about Dark Souls for a Shingo match is reason #1 of many I don't fuck with their English commentary these days, legitimately embarrassing.

You're in the minority about Chris there, SJ. Most folk, including myself, felt he was a fantastic addition to the team. Neither Kelly or Rocky provide the historical analysis that he does nor are they incorporating that content well into their two man team.

You may be familiar with New Japan's history, which is good, but for someone like myself who isn't that familiar with it, Chris' input was invaluable in providing context to a lot of matches, and thus elevated them. I mean, he literally wrote the book on New Japan's history!

Edited by Accident Prone

I don't know so much about NJPW's history that I can't be told anything. Like I said, he has a role (one he's still in), but the less he actually speaks the better, for me. Cannot be doing with that voice for an extended period of time.  You've got to have a listenable voice. Same reason I won't listen to the Japanese commentary when they would have Honma and his messed up larynx on, he could be creating commentary gold - I don't wanna fuckin hear it!

NJPW have been really bad with commentators recently. They appear to have about 10 people doing English commentary, which I supppose makes sense if they're not based in Japan and need to rotate, but it's really jarring when you're watching one of the shows and all of a sudden Shaggy from Scooby Doo pops up. Multiple times I've just ended up switching it off.

Edited by sj5522

8 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

I genuinely can't understand anyone who doesn't understand Japanese listening to the Japanese commentary of a wrestling show.

Because modern commentary is so fucking shit, that not being able to understand any (therefore tuning out everything except the emotion in somebody's voice and obvious words like "lariatooo") is actually a positive thing. The commentary for a massive 90s AJPW match should get anybody pumped up - they could be absolutely incompetent verbally but only their passion matters, and they had it in bucket-loads. Exact same with lucha. Give me that Hugo bloke over Matt pissing Striker in AAA any day.

I might start turning on foreign commentary for the WWE shows. It's not like I can pick a worse team

Edited by sj5522
Wrote Matt Striker wrong. The unibrow guy does not do commentary for AAA

Christ. Ishii is on a mission to be the G1 MVP and GOAT at this rate. I thought Ishii/Cobb was early contender for match of the tournament then he went in 2 days later and took Jay White to the match of his life.

Tournament is delivering in ring so far and the stories are starting to develop

if Ospreay cant continue then Harold needs to give us Suzuki in the A block.