NJPW World

Sphinx

10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I only started watching the G1 last year. Are there any examples of guys being too injured to continue? Do they bring in an alternate? 

When there’s been injuries in the tournament it’s usually been late on so the opponents usually just get their 2 points, like Taka in this years BOSJ

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I only started watching the G1 last year. Are there any examples of guys being too injured to continue? Do they bring in an alternate? 

Nakamura injured his arm (I think?) a couple of years back in the middle of a G1 and took a couple of singles matches off, so the opponents took two points for the bye. I still think he managed to gain enough points to get into the finals.

Ibushi will be fine. He's Kota fucking Ibushi, for a start, and he'll walk through fire to get to the nearest turnbuckle to springboard off. 

He's set for a 6-man tag on Saturday, so he can take the night off if need be. Then on Sunday he's facing EVIL, and they can either give EVIL the big win he usually gets with a short, smartly worked match or just give him the bye. No harm done there. He's in another 6-man on Monday, and then he isn't wrestling again until he faces Ospreay on the 18th. 

So seven days to recover for his hotly anticipated rematch with Ospreay? Mate, he'll shit it. Unless it's something bad that they haven't yet diagnosed, he'll be good to go.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

What's Jeff Cobb like? Listened to his pod with Jericho and he sounded a decent guy. Pretty humble and self-depricating. I liked him. Any good?

He's a big lad, but very athletic. Lots of suplexes, but very agile. Has a bit of the early Scott Steiner about him, but very different physique. He was under the mask and boiler suit of Matanza in Lucha Underground. Very solid worker and can work most styles and definitely a big asset for the G1 I think. 

Loved the Goto vs White match. Never really 'got' White over the past year but here he really shines as that really irritating heel who you just wanna see get beat! Right winner. Goto busting out some new offence was nice and White using his body to shield bigger hits was a unique addition. I think Romero is wonderful sometimes and his description of that particularly moment and Ishii walking into Cobb's forearms was really nicely done. Doesn't get half the credit he deserves and brings realism and a different take to matches through his commentary.

Nothing earth shattering on night two but worth checking out. Yano vs Naito was good quality comedy which - when done right - can be great. It seems that most wrestlers can't do comedy but Yano pulls it off well. Naito trying to out-Yano, Yano was fun. 

Ishii vs Cobb was great in places but could have cut a few minutes of forearms.

Moxley vs Taichi was ok. Nothing more than 3*. Robinson vs Takagi was a good little showing though unsure about the outcome.

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Loved iishi vs Cobb, hell of a hard hitting match. I also don’t get Jay White but his match had a fun final third.

Yano made me laugh, and the shock victory made sense because they were both trying to rile each other up to make a mistake.

It’s not flawless but I love the common sense shown in matches so far. Refs refusing to count cheap pins, the commentators explaining small details about the moves or variations, losers having valid excuses like rust or injury to keep them strong. 

Worst match so far is EVIL vs Fale but even that wasn’t awful, just dull until the last stretch.

I’d say Archer vs Ospreay, iichi vs Cobb are the two best. I’ve went back to watch Okada vs Tanahashi from N1 and that was fantastic too.

Edited by FelatioLips

Does the timer on anyone else new Japan world move slow? Must be about 4 seconds before the clock moves a second. at 2hrs 59 mins of today’s show, and Kenta has only just appeared