NJPW World

Sphinx

Loved the show. Might be the show of the year for me. Everything had it's place, the matches had stakes or teased something for the future, variety up and down the card, great two man commentary team. No bullshit. And everyone was presented like a fucking star. Not bothering hiding all those empty seats is classic New Japan, but they did a tremendous job of picking up the sound. The Dallas crowd were absolutely on fire. Even during the KENTA match, when the smark chants started to filter in, it wasn't overly annoying or overwhelming.

I'm no big Osprey fan but he and Lance was a MOTY contender, easily. I'll take a classic big vs little match over the typical juniors matches any day. Archer stepped the fuck up and put in the performance of his career. And he wins with the Claw in Texas!

Okada vs Tanahashi was everything I used to love about American wrestling. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

2 hours ago, I like root beer said:

Just wondering if anyone else is trying to get WK14 Tix via the international pre-sale I got the link yesterday at 11pm uk time saying they'd be on sale in an hour but once going on to the link says no tickets available don't think they have gone on sale yet

anyone got tickets?

They tweeted out the email with link was sent a day early in error. No tickets have gone on there yet, it’s midnight tonight BST they’re on sale.

I have tickets already from  buysumotickets but the international presale apparently has Arena A available so I’m gonna have a look.

Edited by Harvey Dent

• Paid Members

I skipped the tags and went right to the singles matches.

Ospreay vs Archer and SANADA vs ZSJ were incredible. Two unique matches, two anticipated rematches, four distinct styles. Great way to kickstart the G1. 

I skipped EVIL vs Fale. No fucking way am I watching any Fale in 2019 unless I'm forced to.

Ibushi vs KENTA was disappointing. KENTA looked out of his depth and more than a step behind Ibushi. He could've done with some tags to get himself warmed up but I guess him being at his worst against Ibushi means he'll look better throughout the tourney as he (hopefully) improves. 

Tanahashi vs Okada was a masterclass from two total pros. Loved every second.

The fact they couldn't get a decent crowd into that building with that kind of card speaks volumes of both their understanding of the American market and the damage their brand took on their previous tours.

If they advertised Okada vs Tanahashi from the start, they would've got a much bigger number, guaranteed. Being in Dallas didn't help, neither did not going full-on with the marketing and the VISA issues are still fresh in everyone's minds. The stink of the ROH relationship, or whatever is left of it, certainly didn't help. But that could've all been neutered if they just advertised Okada vs Tanashi with the initial show announcement.

As someone who has followed multiple G1 tournaments, I cannot stress enough how important it is to skip the tags. For the love of god trust me on this.

You can probably get by watching 2-3 matches per show to be honest if you want to avoid burn out.

Opening night was enjoyable. Particularly liked Sabre and Sanada who just gel together perfectly at this point. Finishing sequence was lovely stuff HOWEVER "The Vegan Hydra" had me begging for Japanese commentary.

Hyped for the run of Korakuen Hall shows. Okada vs Ospreay in the G1 in the main event in that building is surely cant miss.

5 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I skipped the tags and went right to the singles matches.

Ospreay vs Archer and SANADA vs ZSJ were incredible. Two unique matches, two anticipated rematches, four distinct styles. Great way to kickstart the G1. 

I skipped EVIL vs Fale. No fucking way am I watching any Fale in 2019 unless I'm forced to.

Ibushi vs KENTA was disappointing. KENTA looked out of his depth and more than a step behind Ibushi. He could've done with some tags to get himself warmed up but I guess him being at his worst against Ibushi means he'll look better throughout the tourney as he (hopefully) improves. 

Tanahashi vs Okada was a masterclass from two total pros. Loved every second.

The fact they couldn't get a decent crowd into that building with that kind of card speaks volumes of both their understanding of the American market and the damage their brand took on their previous tours.

If they advertised Okada vs Tanahashi from the start, they would've got a much bigger number, guaranteed. Being in Dallas didn't help, neither did not going full-on with the marketing and the VISA issues are still fresh in everyone's minds. The stink of the ROH relationship, or whatever is left of it, certainly didn't help. But that could've all been neutered if they just advertised Okada vs Tanashi with the initial show announcement.

Right on the marketing issues with NJPW in the U.S. 

People can say 'well its NJPW and they don't do it like that in Japan' but the fact remains that if they want to draw in another continent they will have to adapt their marketing style to suit the audience. Whereas the Japanese seem to be fine with a loose card or group of performers being announced, the U.K and U.S both want a bit more meat on the bones when it comes to the detail before they will purchase tickets. NJPW need to learn this quickly and take steps to set up cards and promote them a fair while in advance if they are going to break into those markets. Given that we only have 6 weeks until the Royal Quest show I would expect them to have announced the whole roster that will be performing and a few key marque matches by now. I am not saying spoil the G1 but they can add the main event closer to the time but why they haven't promoted a few of the bouts I have no idea. 

Having a English speaking Managing Director you would have thought he would have given them a taste of that market. If I were NJPW I would hire a department that research into the markets and the expectations of different areas in terms of how they buy tickets and shows. They should really focus on...

1) What do markets expect in terms of promoting shows?

2) Who are the key players in relation to selling the product? Because NJPW on its own won't sell as much as a headline bout (for example Okada vs Tanahashi).

3) How do they promote to reach the maximum exposure?

NJPW seem to be playing it their way in other markets and this isn't going to work as well as a clearly researched marketing strategy.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Any advice on the easiest way to navigate on this? I signed up for the G1 but searching for old events like WrestleKingdom or old G1 shows is almost impossible.

The website is a little awkward to navigate, so your best bet is to use this spreadsheet instead;

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

It's a recommended matches list, put together by esteemed Gif maestro, MrLariato. Every match has a direct link and most G1s and WKs have several matches there.

47 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Any advice on the easiest way to navigate on this? I signed up for the G1 but searching for old events like WrestleKingdom or old G1 shows is almost impossible.

Firstly they have decades by which to go by. Alternatively there are some categories that they have turned into lists. Break down your searches into singular words ('wrestle kingdom', not 'wrestlekingdom') or put in dates remembering that its easier to search full dates like '4 jan 2000' not '4/1/00'. Its a quirk of their clunky search system. They need to remedy this quickly I would say.

As Accident said, use the spread-sheet. Alternatively I would search for specific wrestlers that may have some interest. Here are a few..

Heavyweight - Mutoh/Muta, Hashimoto, Chono, Choshu, Sasaki, Hase, Hogan, Hansen, Tanahashi, Okada, Omega, Naito, Ishii, Ibushi, Goto

Juniors - Dynamite Kid, Fujinami (both HW and JHW), Liger, Samurai, Pegasus, Otani, Ospreay, Scurll, KUSHIDA, Lee, Takahashi

Current Standings After Night 4

A Block

Kazuchika Okada 4

Kenta 4

Lance Archer 4

Will Ospreay 2

Sanada 2

Bad Luck Fale 2

Evil 2

Hiroshi Tanahashi 0

Zack Sabre Jr 0

Kota Ibushi 0