NJPW World

Sphinx

2 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

I'm honestly quite baffled by the reaction to KENTA in the G1. There seems to be some sort of narrative that he was a letdown, out of place, not on the rest of the guys level etc.

He was never going to be like mid-2000s NOAH/ROH KENTA when he was comfortably one of the best in the world. He's older, heavier and has a lot of injuries. It's also wildly unfair to hold someone to the standards of Okada, Ospreay, Ibushi etc.

I personally really enjoyed KENTA in the grumpy ass kicking outsider role. Reminds me of an aging Kawada/Tenryu type. I don't know how you can have great matches with Ibushi, Tana, Okada, Sabre and Evil and still be seen as a disappointment.

The angle with Shibata was incredible. Loved it. Pure emotion from the crowd.

For me personally, it's less about disappointment etc, and more that I didn't see much in him that I hadn't seen in NXT/205 Live. Despite the overall opinion of his US time being that he was a botch machine and a let down, he did have some strong matches in the latter half of his run.

So to me, watching him in G1 wasn't me being blown away. He was a good addition but I didn't see any transformation into some kind of superstar that hadn't existed in recent times.

Just now, DavidB6937 said:

For me personally, it's less about disappointment etc, and more that I didn't see much in him that I hadn't seen in NXT/205 Live. Despite the overall opinion of his US time being that he was a botch machine and a let down, he did have some strong matches in the latter half of his run.

So to me, watching him in G1 wasn't me being blown away. He was a good addition but I didn't see any transformation into some kind of superstar that hadn't existed in recent times.

He was a very good worker in a poor position with a lot of his offense limited.

Now he's a very good worker in a way better position with way less restrictions.

I am literally rubbing my tum tum and going "mmmmm" at the prospect of Ishii and KENTA absolutely destroying each other.

Worried for those around me at Royal Quest now that I think about it. I went to Strong Style Evolved in Manchester and went absolutely fucking mental for ZSJ upsetting Okada. That being immediately followed by Suzuki vs Ishii transported me into another realm.

The top 3 matches in London will easily bring me to full release. Especially If I get to see The Ace take the British strap off of ZSJ.

Hopefully Gedo has time to sort out Brexit while he's here.

So after making it through the whole of G1, I'm hoping to stick with NJPW for a while now. Super J Cup looks decent, and I've got a ticket to Royal Quest which I can't wait for.

Having looked at the schedule after that, what's the deal? I see a lot of events - do they all get put on NJPW World or just the bigger ones?

Excuse my newbie-ness but I do want to try and keep up with it going forward, but not sure on the best way..

Happy with that card overall. I still don't like the Rev Pro guys being on it but what can you do. 

Okada vs Suzuki is a reasonable match, they normally have decent showings and as long as it sticks at around 20 minutes it'll be a scorcher. I am not a fan of Suzuki's 40 minute leg torture-fests and much prefer shorter Okada showings to his epics. 

Ishii vs KENTA is going to be a great match if they both bring it. Ishii is always so good, its hard to see it being anything but good. KENTA really needs to step up here and I can see him taking the belt. 

Tanahashi vs Sabre is always ****+ when they are on form and this being a big show for the company (in terms of expansion) it's likely to be great. I can see Tanahashi winning it and losing back to Sabre at WK. 

G.O.D is G.O.D. Never been a huge fan of the team and much prefer EVIL and SANADA as champions. Would have been better to have had a SHO/YOH vs G.O.D match even if they normally hang in the JHW Tag Title scene. 

I love Naito and White on opposite sides in the tag. I loved their G1 match and this is likely to be an extension of that. Chase is fine I guess. 

Odd to have Ospreay not in a singles. Surely Ospreay vs Ibushi would have been a better showing of both men's talents? That said Ibushi is probably fucked from his G1 tournament so maybe good to rest up a bit. 

Don't really 'get' Hikuleo, Phantasmo, Takahashi and Eagles. I'd have bought over Archer, Liger, Lee and Goto had I booked this. Are they running shows on the same day in the US/Japan? I wanted everybody to die in the UK!

All in all a good card. Definitely better than I expected and giving away Ishii vs KENTA in the UK seems a big deal. 

My predictions (winners): 

Okada, Tanahashi, KENTA, G.O.D, White and Chase, Rocky/SHO/YOH, Ibushi/Robinson, Ospreay/Eagles

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Hikuleo and ELP are Rev Pro lads so they don't have to fly them in for the show, plus Dragon Lee isn’t a New Japan wrestler

Phantasmo is a new Japan wrestler, he holds a title so isn't just a rev Pro guy. Hikuleo also 1st showed up in New Japan ages ago in  2017, although mainly as he is GOD'S brother.