NJPW World

Sphinx

On 6/28/2018 at 10:24 PM, Herne's Son said:

Does anyone know what kinds of merchandise stands we may have? Trying to budget how much money to take.

When I asked similarly on Twitter, they responded that they'd have a range of merch not limited to just the guys working the shows. Did mention there would be a £3 increase on the price due to something to do with the venue, mind. 

35 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

When I asked similarly on Twitter, they responded that they'd have a range of merch not limited to just the guys working the shows. Did mention there would be a £3 increase on the price due to something to do with the venue, mind. 

Some venues charge for selling merch.

I remember years ago I worked as a gopher on a show in Brid for Stevie Knight.

Member of staff saw the merch table and said that if the wrestlers were selling stuff they had to give a percentage to the venue.

I remember Stevie essentially telling them to fuck off but I'm guessing that' what it is.

• Paid Members

Just back from the Strong Style Evolved UK show in Manchester. A really good show. Definitely up there as one of the best shows I’ve been to live.

Okada is something special, isn’t he? Exuding stardom, it was mesmerising seeing him in person. He had a cracking match with Zack Sabre Junior. I’ve never really been that big of a fan of ZSJ, but seeing him live was a completely different story. All of his weird counters and slick submissions were enthralling, they managed to get everyone on the edges of their seats by the end, and the audible gasp from crowd when Zack won was amazing.

Will Ospreay is fantastic, too. Effortlessly bouncing around as if gravity didn’t effect him was so fun to see in person. God bless the lad, too. Charging people a tenner for him to give them a chop? No wonder he ran back to the merch table the moment his match was over. Looked (and sounded!) like he was making a fucking fortune! I guess the shower can wait when there’s that much cash to rake in.

Jay White is proper rubbish though. He’s shit on TV and he’s arguably even shitter live. Everything about him is just wrong. Nothing clicks at all. Terrible face where he looks too babyish to be a heel yet too creepy to be a babyface, terrible CM-Punk-piling-on-the-pounds-in-2006 physique where he looks really bloated and his head ends up looking too small for his body, an awful gimmick straight out of an E-Fed in 2001 and absolutely no authenticity whatsoever. He can do all the moves, sure, but he fails at pretty much everything else. He comes across as a guy trying to be a wrestler, which stands out horrifically with a roster this talented. The way they position him doesn’t help, either. He always seems to be in the death spot, where there’s a tangible feeling that people are just waiting for him to go home so the real main eventers can come out, and this was no exception here. Every other match felt like it lasted the perfect amount and peaked at exactly the right time. Jay White’s match felt like it was easily twice as long as it should be. If you told me it was still going on I wouldn’t be shocked.

Incredible main event of two double hard bastards smashing shit out of each other. The amount of drama Suzuki got out of hitting a piledriver for the finish is something everyone else in the business needs to be studying. That was amazing and got the huge reaction it deserved.

I wouldn’t want to work with Walter if I was a wrestler. Stiff as fuck. No thanks.

I’d never heard of El Phantasmo before but he stole the show in the Junior Four Way. The maniac did an Elix Skipper style tightrope spot from the top turnbuckle to the centre of the top rope, then hit a fucking top rope moonsault to the outside! Fair play mate, but you’ve no business hitting such a spectacular, dangerous spot on a random Sunday night spot show in Alchrington! That’s the shit you save for Wrestlemania or Wreste Kingdom, surely?

But yeah. Boss show. Would definitely go again.

Edited by Supremo

I managed to get through the hordes to get to Tiger Mask at the merch stall to see if he had any replica masks for sale, saw one on the table and the motherfucker goes to me NINETY QUID with a smile. Taking The Piss Mask, mate. Think it might have been the ring worn mask from that night though, so fair enough if it was but that's a fortnights dole in 2003 that.

Other than that, aye as above it was a great show. Okada and ZSJ, Suzuku/Ishii and the four way were all spectacular. Hottest building i've ever been in, too. Total mess by the end of it. Only just realised too by the time I got home - fucking Takashi Iizuka was there biting people and I forgot he's in that insane match from WrestleWar 92 against the Steiners. Made up to have seen him.

EDIT - should clarify Tiger Mask didn't say QUID - just ninety

Edited by Cannibal Man

was there another match after the Sabre jr vs Okada one? I left at that point thinking that was the main. if it wasn't then I feel sorry for what had to follow that. 

really good show overall. Sabre Jr and Okada put on a fantastic display. the girlfriend isn't into technical wrestling but even she enjoyed this.

Ospreys match was fantastic. Bumped like mad for his opponent.

was my first experience of El Phantasmo - he has got some skills. he was the only one on the 4 way who didn't annoy me. Who would sell ringside whilst waiting to come back in, the others just sat there waiting their turn.

I don't follow NJPW as much as I'd like to so wasn't familiar with everyone. it's a testament to the show that I enjoyed it all despite that. it was down to how well the show was structured. the matches that didn't engage the crowd as much didn't Last too long to suck the energy.

4 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Never knew that, but then again I haven’t heard his name in years either. And apparently Omega hadn’t heard about it either. If he had known, As he has said in that statement though, I’m sure he wouldn’t have even entertained the idea of booking him had he known.

9 hours ago, Cannibal Man said:

I managed to get through the hordes to get to Tiger Mask at the merch stall to see if he had any replica masks for sale, saw one on the table and the motherfucker goes to me NINETY QUID with a smile. Taking The Piss Mask, mate. Think it might have been the ring worn mask from that night though, so fair enough if it was but that's a fortnights dole in 2003 that.

BUSHI sells £200 ones although he also sells £30 ones. Masks can be expensive to make so he may not have been over charging. 

People paid Ospreay to hit them. I must say that is fucking weird.