NJPW World

Sphinx

15 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It definitely can happen, look at unprotected chairshots to the head. I think seeing one now is so rare that it is not only shocking when you do, but it makes for far fewer avoidable brain injuries. The same will hopefully happen with these head drop moves that are so dangerous and yet could easily be replaced by something as spectacular looking with minimal compromise on flash, but maximum safety to in-ring competitors. 

It's sad and frustrating reading Twitter as a lot of fans seem to be of the 'well it can happen with any move' kind of mentality - and while true wrestling was always about the illusion of danger while minimising the risk. Sadly it seems these days with 'strong style' and big bumps being the norm, broken necks and the like seem to just be written off as 'M'eh well, it's wrestling, it happens' in some circles. It's the 'thoughts and prayers' approach - the perception of caring. Mick Foley cut a promo decades ago where he said it was the 'Go ahead Cactus, kill yourself for us!' approach, and when he was all smashed in and unable to function the fans would forget about him and move on to someone new and the cycle would repeat itself.
He was right.

Wrestlers also don't help themselves either to be honest. Ospreay's flippant, and dare I say, slightly arrogant response to 'old timers' like Rip Rogers going 'Slow the fuck down, kid' after he nearly broke his neck earlier this year is proof of this also. Every generation thinks they know better than the one before them and any advice is just a bitter old timer 'trying to stay relevant' and, besides, 'wrestling was different then, Grandpa!'.

I winced at Ishii and Suzuki paggering the granny out of each other in Manchester last week with stupidly stiff and repetitive forearm shots to the head [a sequence they apparently repeated in a match over the weekend] but everyone [yes, me included, I'm a fan just like everyone else] loved it and, in the 'This is awesome' and 'Fight forever' era of wrestling there will always be performers willing to go to unnecessary lengths to entertain the crowd. 

It's sad but I honestly doubt things will drastically change, if at all, as a result of this.

• Paid Members

Misawa died from a high angle suplex that dropped him on his neck and it changed nothing. Hiromu breaking his neck taking that move will change nothing. Ospreay will never change. We are in the high impact era right now, and for good or ill, it will not change. 

Whopping G1 Cards this weekend.

July 14th

Yoshi Hashi Vs. Togi Makabe

Bad Luck Fale Vs. Hangman Page

Michael Elgin Vs. Evil

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs. Minoru Suzuki

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Jay White

July 15th

Juice Robinson Vs Tama Tonga

Hirooki Goto Vs Sanada

Tomohiro Ishii Vs. Toru Yano

Kota Ibushi Vs. Zack Sabre Jr

Kenny Omega Vs. Tetsuya Naito

Ive bolded my predictions but every match is tough to call in this G1, I’m predicted an Okada/Ibushi final.

• Paid Members

I’m really interested in what they do with Tama Tonga in the G1. Having only been watching since January, I’ve always wondered why he was always slotted as a tag guy. He looked to have tonnes of potential. He reminds me of Roman Reigns before they completely fucked him up. Tall, good looking, super athletic, cool as fuck, oozing charisma. I’ve no idea how good he’ll be in singles matches but even if he’s lacking I feel like the guys he’s in there with should be able to make him look awesome. 

Can't wait for Tanahashi vs Suzuki tomorrow. Their match earlier this year is still one of my matches of the year for the storytelling element alone.

Predictions for the weekend:

Makabe over YOSHI, Fale over Page, Elgin over EVIL, Tanahashi over Suzuki and White over Okada.

Makabe because YOSHI is shit, Fale is always a safe 8/10 points, Elgin because it seems the likelier option, Tana so he can get his win back from earlier this year and White to continue Okada's downward spiral.

Then I'll pluck for Tonga over Juice, Yano over Ishii, Goto over SANADA, Sabre over Ibushi and Naito drawing with Naito.

Tonga needs momentum after San Francisco and this can set a US Championship match at a later date, Yano because Yano, Goto because I see is the guy that starts strongly as the front-runner this year, Sabre vs Ibushi could go either way but I'm going to predict Sabre beats both Ibushi and Kenny, and a draw in the main event because I still maintain Naito/Omega main events this year, and the story going into that will be that they're 1-1-1 over the last few years (IIRC).

Edited by AdamTH17

Enjoyed the closing stretch of Evil/Elgin 

Jay White impressed me today, amazing heel work.  He could be in with a chance at the final after that performance.

It was weird to see Bad Luck Fale just jump Hangman Page but then Tama and Tanga turned up and you knew who was Team Tama from then on, surprised they bothered with a DQ finish, New Japan seem high on Page at the minute so he’ll be in with a good showing in his Debut G1.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Shame he barely gets work in the US or Europe any more....

........ is it?

On 6/19/2018 at 6:50 PM, air_raid said:

Bold predictions on G1 and where it leads.

Okada loses to Switchblade

Good start, even if it wasn't exactly bold.