NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

If I 'ordered' New Japan and all I got was the opening match guys I always skip over along with a few names, I'd be pretty pissed off too. My gripe stems from someone calling these guys 'no names' when they're constantly in-demand all over the country and the world-over, especially in regards to Starr and WALTER.

It's a shit situation from both sides of the coin but the obnoxious "WHO ARE YA?!?" stuff is similarly frustrating.

• Paid Members

If they are going to shout "WHO ARE YA" they could at least have the decency to shout it in Japanese. 

I only have a passing interest in British Wrestling these days as I don't go to shows anymore but I've heard of Walter. I wouldn't know Chris Brookes or David Starr if they introduced themselves to me. The "WHO ARE YA" chants are fans trying to get themselves over, and that's one of the reasons I don't go to shows anymore. 

All I get from this discussion is how unbelievably bonkers spoiled the British wrestling fans have become at this point! I don't even think a Japanese wrestler has even appeared in my country. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I'd much rather see  Chase Owens and Toa Henare than Walter and Brookes.

I can possibly understand Brookes as he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (big fan, myself), but WALTER?? He's one of the best in the world right now. Him vs Nagata is going to be a spectacle! 

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I can possibly understand Brookes as he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (big fan, myself), but WALTER?? He's one of the best in the world right now. Him vs Nagata is going to be a spectacle! 

Clearly my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

I'm a massive fan of Brookes and Walter and I consider David Starr to be the best all rounder on the independent scene. That's what annoys me. It's the attitude of 'They're not NJPW enough', rather than, 'I hope they bring something to the card.' I also really do think that they're on the card so that Gedo can get a good look at them. 

In all honesty I'm waiting for the mystery wrestler to be Taguchi and for everyone to cry over that, except me, love me some Funky Weapon. That said it'll be Makabe or Honma, neither of whom do a thing for me. Or Tenzan, and then won't we all be living the dream!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Clearly my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough

Ah, my apologies there! 

I don't sub to the Observer but Dave's star rating system really is broken now. Is he still rating matches out of of 5 stars or is it now out of 7 stars? Or are the Omega/Okada matches just an anomaly?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Ah, my apologies there! 

I don't sub to the Observer but Dave's star rating system really is broken now. Is he still rating matches out of of 5 stars or is it now out of 7 stars? Or are the Omega/Okada matches just an anomaly?

It's not really out of 5. Dave gave Misawa v Kawada in 94 "*****+" and he's retconned that to mean 6. The five has always meant "one of the best matches you'll ever see" and over the last 18 months he's felt compelled to up the highest scores to underscore matches that stand out even more. It's not just Omega v Okada though. He went north of 5 for Omega v Naito in last year's G1 and just gave the BOSJ final 5 1/2.

5 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

That said it'll be Makabe or Honma, neither of whom do a thing for me

Is Honma likely to be coming back?

G1 Climax competitors have been announced!  Blocks will be announced tomorrow and the match schedule on Tuesday.

Kenny Omega, Michael Elgin, Jay White, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Yoshi Hashi, Hangman Page, Zack Sabre Jr, Kota Ibushi, Togi Makabe, Juice Robinson, Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Tetsuya Naito, Evil, Sanada and Minoru Suzuki

No surprises there apart from Hangman Page making his first G1 appearance. 

All 19 G1 shows will have English commentary!

Goto/Cobb for the Never Openweight Title should be a stormer too.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Stonking lineup that. Get rid of YOSHI-HASHI and Tama Tonga and then it's practically my ideal tournament. Happy to see Hangman, that'll be great for his progression. Was hoping for Ospreay as an outsider after he dropped the Jr Heavyweight belt but I can't complain. 

Bit miffed that people are moaning about Homna not being included despite being back, as though the perfect re-introduction from a serious neck injury is a grueling 19 day tournament.

Wrestle Kingdom is a bit tricky to predict at the moment. For me, there are two viable headliners in both Okada/Naito or Ibushi/Omega. I can't envision a Golden Lovers split though, so the only logical way you have those two fighting is for a championship, so Ibushi winning the G1. I don't see a way in which Kenny drops the IWGP belt and picks up the IC belt from now until Wrestle Kingdom. But at the same time, it's difficult to envision Okada/Naito not headlining with their rematch, or Okada not headlining at all. Perhaps you continue the story of Naito's downfall and leave the rematch until WK14, but yeah, it's hard to imagine Okada not headlining the show.