NJPW World

Sphinx

I did enjoy Okada/Omega but I do struggle a little with how much punishment they take. I guess it's how wrestling is these days but for example Omega's knees look absolutely brutal and I do find it takes me out of it a little when Okada takes so many of them etc. Overall the match was really enjoyable, told a good story and I was probably invested in it more than any other New Japan match I've ever seen so that was my only real criticism. They're not the only ones to do it though and at least it meant something rather than a random indy spotfest.

I must admit that I've often struggled with NJPW beyond the 'wow that was a good match' opinion simply because I have no real connection with a lot of the talent unlike WWE that I've watched since the late 80s. So even when that's pretty shit I do have a deep emotional investment to it. But I've really enjoyed Omega's journey in recent years and that's helped a lot.

I have only been watching new japan since January, and care more for most their roster than I have for anyone other than punk in wwe in the last 15 years. As what do comes across as needing proper effort to win, makes it easier for me to buy into them 

• Paid Members

Umino v ?

Yujiro & Ishimori v Aussie Open

Taichi, Desperado & Iizuka v Switchblade, Yano & Gedo

All announced for Milton Keynes 😉

Could have at least waited for the whole card to be announced.  Also announced for Night 1

Tiger Mask Vs. David Starr

Walter Vs. Yuji Nagata  

Chris Brookes Vs. Yoshi Hashi

Kanemaru Vs. Will Ospreay

Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr(c) Vs Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada for the British Tag Team Titles

Edit: Don’t you just love when paid members come into the thread just to downvote your posts without adding anything to the topic.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I did enjoy Okada/Omega but I do struggle a little with how much punishment they take. I guess it's how wrestling is these days but for example Omega's knees look absolutely brutal and I do find it takes me out of it a little when Okada takes so many of them etc.

If it helps, a few people have said that the V-trigger is nowhere near as stiff as it looks. I distinctly remember Don Callis and Jericho talking about it on a podcast and there are probably others that have mentioned it but noone that immediately come to mind.

Night 2 matches announced for Strong Style Evolved UK (Full card for Night 1 in the 2 posts above)

Dan Duggan Vs. ???

Shota Umino Vs. Yuji Nagata

David Starr Vs. Tiger Mask Vs. El Phantasmo Vs. Taiji Ishimori

El Desperado, Kanemaru and Takashi Ilzuka Vs. Yoshi Hashi, Toru Yano and Gedo

Walter Vs. Yujiro Takahashi

Jay White Vs. Chris Brookes 

Taichi Vs. Will Ospreay

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Zack Sabre Jr

Tomohiro Ishii (c) Vs Minoru Suzuki for the British Heavyweight Title

So after Rev Pro promised this was a New Japan show and not a Rev Pro Vs. NJPW show like Global Wars, they’ve gone and booked it like a Global Wars show. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Zack Sabre Jr

Tomohiro Ishii (c) Vs Minoru Suzuki for the British Heavyweight Title

Absolutely delighted.

On a personal note, Nagata vs young boy is exactly the match I wanted when I saw both announced.

Some of the midcard is a bit "eh" but so happy about those top two matches.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to finishing the show last night. As a jaded wrestling fan, the last three matches were exactly what I needed to make me remember why I still bother. The main event, in particular, was such a brilliant blend of long-term story, athleticism, character and mind-boggling hard work - just a shame the result was spoiled for me, as I probably would be on this "best match ever" train otherwise.

When done I couldn't help but compare this to the two year build we got for Reigns v Lesnar. It's like comparing David Ayer to Denis Villeneuve. When wrestling is done like this you can certainly make a case for it being high art, rather than the seedy daftness week-to-week.