NJPW World

Sphinx

16 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Night 2 matches announced for Strong Style Evolved UK (Full card for Night 1 in the 2 posts above)

Dan Duggan Vs. ???

Shota Umino Vs. Yuji Nagata

David Starr Vs. Tiger Mask Vs. El Phantasmo Vs. Taiji Ishimori

El Desperado, Kanemaru and Takashi Ilzuka Vs. Yoshi Hashi, Toru Yano and Gedo

Walter Vs. Yujiro Takahashi

Jay White Vs. Chris Brookes 

Taichi Vs. Will Ospreay

Kazuchika Okada Vs. Zack Sabre Jr

Tomohiro Ishii (c) Vs Minoru Suzuki for the British Heavyweight Title

So after Rev Pro promised this was a New Japan show and not a Rev Pro Vs. NJPW show like Global Wars, they’ve gone and booked it like a Global Wars show. 

I've got absolutely no problem at all with that card. I could do without Lizuka but I'll cope.

Should be hilarious to see Yujiro get chopped to pieces by Walter and I'm really excited to see Starr and Ishimori tangle in that 4 way. I must confess I'd be a bit salty if I had tickets to MK, but I don't.

I guess the difference between WWE and NJPW is that Vince is comfortable. He knows he can churn out whatever he wants with minimal effort and he'll be on top. NJPW really want to push the envelope and grab a piece of the worldwide wrestling audience and that much is evident. You can certainly tell which company has a vision and something they want to build on.

The card we're getting in Manchester is far more than a typical Global Wars show based solely off the fact we're getting an Okada singles match, against ZSJ no less. A match which has just headlined a big New Japan show. 

The only match for the Manchester show which is leaving me cold is the Suzuki-Gun vs CHAOS 6 man, but one dud match out of nine isn't bad going at all. The only match I think I'd take from the MK card ahead of Manchester is WALTER/Nagata - that sounds brilliant. 

I was furious after the initial announcements for the MK show vs the Manchester card. Not just a little irritated but furious!

On reflection though I am not as pissed as I was about the card though I am a little miffed as to why Manchester get the additional match...

Umino vs ??? - I suspect we will get Liger here though it may well end up being a indy talent from the UK. Liger would be awesome as I have always wanted to see him live. I doubt Tanahashi is going to be on the shows or they would have announced in advance so that would be my ideal second option.

Yujiro & Ishimori v Aussie Open - I don't know these guys. Ishimori is brilliant and Yujiro is well, Yujiro. Want to see this purely for Ishimori though he should have been put against Ospreay in a singles.

Taichi, Desperado & Iizuka v Switchblade, Yano & Gedo - Nice six man which is to be expected and actually similar to many of the other non-big-events that NJPW put together. Sticking all of those I am less interested in into one match isn't a bad thing. 

Tiger Mask Vs. David Starr - WhoAreYa! Seeing Tiger Mask live will be fun, I have wanted to catch him wrestling. I don't know this David Starr.

Walter Vs. Yuji Nagata - Not big on indy companies so not sure about Walter but I hear he is fairly decent. Nagata is a legend so should be decent.

Chris Brookes Vs. Yoshi Hashi - I hear very mixed reviews about Brookes with a lot of people saying he is the shits. 

Kanemaru Vs. Will Ospreay - Will be an okay match though Ospreay should really be against someone with a lot more 'wow' than Kanemaru. 

Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr(c) Vs Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada for the British Tag Team Titles - If they don't phone it in it should be a great match. Just worrying that this is purely there as a backdrop to the main event the following night. 

I am particularly disappointed at the total unprofessionalism from RPW though with no responses to any messages/emails that have been sent by myself and other people I know about the disappointing state of N1. Not a good look for the company and not endearing them to a larger audience.

Finally caught up on Dominion last night

Young Bucks are so good when they have proper matches. Not seen many shout outs for that match but I loved it 

Elgin winning the NEVER title is tone-deaf bollocks. You can't take him to the UK or the States as he'll get booed out of the building. Even ignoring that Big Mike is a Big Cunt, taking the title off Goto really hurts him and I'm not sure what he can even do after he loses the rematch. Swap with Ishii in stoic CHAOS guy who has to tag with Yano I guess? Really the guy needs to get out of that faction altogether and completely switch it up.

Everything else I was a fan of. Thought a singles match would be a better use of Rey, but can't really complain about him, Liger & Tanahashi!

Ospreay/Hiromu was great stuff, Will really toned down my main problem with his matches; his weird, almost parody like selling where he just screams AAAAAHHH for 10 minutes and then hits his big moves no bother. Take that out of his game and he's amazing, and Hiromu is the best character worker in the company.

Naito v midlife crisis Jericho was entertaining. I'm down for a Jericho IC run in this unhinged form, just a shame Naito had to lose.

Main event, just amazing stuff. Layered, dramatic and emotional. Really special. I don't know if it's the best match I've seen, but the fact I have to think about it says it all

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I am a little miffed as to why Manchester get the additional match...

Because we're FAR more important, silly. If it makes you feel better, consider the "additional" match to be Switchblade in singles and count your blessings.

21 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Not big on indy companies so not sure about Walter but I hear he is fairly decent.

Be careful who you say that around, for some reason huge swathes of BritWres fans think he's God. Personally I think he's a natural heel, I liked him teaming with Dieter as heels, in singles I'm never as interested as when him and Matt Riddle are beating the shit out of each other. And even then its "spectacle" not "giving a shit who wins."

Count me as a WALTER worshipping Britwres fiend. Hyped for him and Nagata, sounds bloody lovely. I'm alright with the card personally, would be nice to have Kenny over but can't say I'm looking at the Manchester card with massive envy. Okada in a singles is a bonus for them but the tag match at MK should be good stuff still. 

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

It's actually Ishii and MiSu beating the shit out of each other I'm most looking forward to. Saw Ishii v Makabe in Ryogoku once but don't think I've been present for Suzuki being in there with another proponent of the "hard bastards hit each other" style. Unless you count Shinsuke.

42 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I was furious after the initial announcements for the MK show vs the Manchester card. Not just a little irritated but furious!

On reflection though I am not as pissed as I was about the card though I am a little miffed as to why Manchester get the additional match...

Umino vs ??? - I suspect we will get Liger here though it may well end up being a indy talent from the UK. Liger would be awesome as I have always wanted to see him live. I doubt Tanahashi is going to be on the shows or they would have announced in advance so that would be my ideal second option.

Yujiro & Ishimori v Aussie Open - I don't know these guys. Ishimori is brilliant and Yujiro is well, Yujiro. Want to see this purely for Ishimori though he should have been put against Ospreay in a singles.

Taichi, Desperado & Iizuka v Switchblade, Yano & Gedo - Nice six man which is to be expected and actually similar to many of the other non-big-events that NJPW put together. Sticking all of those I am less interested in into one match isn't a bad thing. 

Tiger Mask Vs. David Starr - WhoAreYa! Seeing Tiger Mask live will be fun, I have wanted to catch him wrestling. I don't know this David Starr.

Walter Vs. Yuji Nagata - Not big on indy companies so not sure about Walter but I hear he is fairly decent. Nagata is a legend so should be decent.

Chris Brookes Vs. Yoshi Hashi - I hear very mixed reviews about Brookes with a lot of people saying he is the shits. 

Kanemaru Vs. Will Ospreay - Will be an okay match though Ospreay should really be against someone with a lot more 'wow' than Kanemaru. 

Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr(c) Vs Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada for the British Tag Team Titles - If they don't phone it in it should be a great match. Just worrying that this is purely there as a backdrop to the main event the following night. 

I am particularly disappointed at the total unprofessionalism from RPW though with no responses to any messages/emails that have been sent by myself and other people I know about the disappointing state of N1. Not a good look for the company and not endearing them to a larger audience.

Chances are Umino gets Danny Duggan who has been through the LA Dojo.

Aussie Open have been doing some really good work around the UK scene and Mark Davies especially should fit in really well.

David Starr and Walter are two of the very best independent wrestlers in the world right now. If anyone can pull good singles matches out of Tiger and Nagata it's these two. Walter is basically a dream match for Nagata right now and I'd be as happy to see Starr in singles action as I am to see him mix with Ishimori in the 4 way.

Has it occurred to you that maybe Gedo has had a hand in booking these matches? They use these overseas tours as way to give their talent fresh matches and to scout new guys. No shows like this no Ospreay in Super Juniors or Sabre in G1. Brookes especially just turned down a WWE deal so it's very likely this is an audition of sorts. 

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel the need to apologise about fulfilling my end of the talent deal that helps keep my company afloat, especially to people who don't even take the time to find out about what they're getting. I said it before, a card like either of these shows was basically unfathomable a few years ago.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Chances are Umino gets Danny Duggan who has been through the LA Dojo.

The mystery opponent is wrestling Duggan on night 2, so it ain't him.