NJPW World

Sphinx

The last new japan US show had SCU and was meant to have Rey mysterio before he got hurt. That’s hardly Pure new japan as Pat makes it out 

5 minutes ago, Louch said:

The last new japan US show had SCU and was meant to have Rey mysterio before he got hurt. That’s hardly Pure new japan as Pat makes it out 

Do you mean Strong style evolved? The show had Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks as the main event, IWGP US Title defence, LIJ (except for Evil), the same tag match that is main eventing the Milton Keynes show and Tanahashi. It had over 30 New Japan regulars, just because it had So Cal Uncensored in a 6 man opener does not detract from the fact it was a packed card with all the big names.

• Paid Members

I'm sure both UK shows will be great, but at the very least I think it's fair for people at Milton Keynes to feel cheesed off when they buy tickets for a "New Japan" show and find out the majority of matches feature a non-New Japan wrestler.

8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Do you mean Strong style evolved? The show had Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks as the main event, IWGP US Title defence, LIJ (except for Evil), the same tag match that is main eventing the Milton Keynes show and Tanahashi. It had over 30 New Japan regulars, just because it had So Cal Uncensored in a 6 man opener does not detract from the fact it was a packed card with all the big names.

You can hardly compare David Starr to Rey Mysterio to be fair. Mysterio is a HUGE name across the world, not some relative no-name indy wrestler from a small part of the US. 

I think the most irritating thing about the whole saga is how Rev-Pro have completely ignored any questions about the whole thing. Its not like they have said 'this is why and we 'get' why people would feel a little cheated' they literally just IGNORE questions from the fans they are (apparently) trying to draw to their product. 

From a business perspective it is extremely shoddy. I don't even mean apologise just give people a bit of respect and be professional in these things. It disappoints me because Rev-Pro have really let themselves down with this display. Especially as a promotion which has a fairly good reputation, it is this type of shit that makes people think a promotion isn't professional or serious about building their brand. I want Rev-Pro to succeed but this isn't the way you go about interacting with potential new fans (or not interact in this case). 

If it was any other type of business it wouldn't be acceptable. If a customer queries the product they are getting the expectation should be that the company explains the position and/or offers an apology if things aren't as they were sold. That is a reasonable way of conducting business. Simply going 'la la la la la' *fingers in ears* may in the short term be a strategy but people don't forget when they feel cheated. 

On the plus side I am looking forward to the main event and Nagata match. Tiger Mask will be fun as I haven't seen that character live. I will give the Rev Pro guys a go and see what they can do, no harm in that I guess.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

You can hardly compare David Starr to Rey Mysterio to be fair. Mysterio is a HUGE name across the world, not some relative no-name indy wrestler from a small part of the US. 

David Starr is one of the most in-demand wrestlers in the world right now, he's hardly a 'no name'. I'd rather have him, Brookes and Aussie Open (who are massively popular across the BritWres scene) than some of the lower-level, boredom inducing NJ sidekicks like Kanemaru, Yujiro and Hashi. The cards are disappointing but it's got nothing to do with the non-New Japan talent.

• Paid Members

Who you would rather have isnt the point is it. The show was marketed as a New Japan show so you expect New Japan wrestlers. When you buy a Chinese takeaway you don't expect to get home and find a kebab in one of the containers. No matter how good that kebab is you were expecting beef in black been sauce. 

• Paid Members

That metaphor only works if you say that most of the Chinese food you did get was of the bland variety, with some even tasting awful, under cooked and past their sell-by date. I agree that the cards don't represent a proper New Japan show but throwing the blame at the UK guys instead of the curtain jerker New Japan acts is not the way to go. Imagine going to a WWE show and you get Reigns, Owens and Balor but the rest of the card is filled with Hawkins/Dallas/Axel/Apollo fodder and some the WWE UK guys; surely you'd be pissed at the lack of WWE guys, not the inclusion of the WWE UK lads? 

I'm going to the Milton Keynes show, despite living much, much closer to Manchester because my friends live down south and I want to watch the show with them. 

Manchester has more singles matches but nothing of any real significance is going to happen at either show really is it? The RPW title or tag titles may change hands but for me this is more about seeing guys like Suzuki and Okada. The fact they're both in a tag match doesn't bother me that much. 

I do wonder whether Manchester has the "bigger" matches because there are still a fair number of tickets available whereas MK is pretty much sold out.

12 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I can when the point was about the number of guys on a card, not who the guys are. 

11 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I think the most irritating thing about the whole saga is how Rev-Pro have completely ignored any questions about the whole thing

They answer the odd question, when asked if this was a joint RPW/NJPW show they said no. However the t-shirts they have printed say RPW on them so it obviously is. I was worried this would happen which is why I decided to wait until Global Wars rather than travel to MK. I was hoping I would be wrong and I could maybe grab a late ticket or go to the next tour. I think both RPW and NJPW are to blame, RPW for blatantly lying and New Japan for allowing it to be marketed as New Japan only.

39 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

That metaphor only works if you say that most of the Chinese food you did get was of the bland variety, with some even tasting awful, under cooked and past their sell-by date. I agree that the cards don't represent a proper New Japan show but throwing the blame at the UK guys instead of the curtain jerker New Japan acts is not the way to go. Imagine going to a WWE show and you get Reigns, Owens and Balor but the rest of the card is filled with Hawkins/Dallas/Axel/Apollo fodder and some the WWE UK guys; surely you'd be pissed at the lack of WWE guys, not the inclusion of the WWE UK lads? 

Yeah I think it is the lack of inclusion or NJPW that has annoyed people rather UK guys. I think Chris Brookes and Starr are solid wrestlers and am fine with having them on a UK show. To be honest I think it would be fine having them on if they had more NJPW stars. My first RPW show was Uprising 2015 which was what is now Global Wars UK night 1. It had Okada (champion, Tana (G1 Holder), AJ (previous champion), Nakamura (IC title), Kushida (BOSJ holder and previous Jr Champion), Naito, Tencozy (both former champs), Liger (I would consider one of the biggest names ever in Japanese wrestling), Kyle O'Reilly and Gedo. The names on that match made me feel like I was at a New Japan event, it didn't matter what the other wrestling matches were. The following night had AJ Vs Liger, which for many was a dream match. That show also had Gallows and Anderson at it.

The following year had Naito (previous champion), Sanada, Evil (Open weight champion), Bushi, Shibata (at the time rising to main event level), Ishii, Honma, Liger and Nagata. Not as strong as the previous year but had LIJ there with a nice addition of New Japan Dads, upper mid card talent with Scurll, Ospreay (BOSJ winner) and Sabre Jr who were now part of New Japan. That I would say is as strong as Strong Style Evolved.

• Paid Members

The metaphor works fine. You ordered one thing and you got something else. 

No one is blaming the guys for wrestling on the show. The blame is squarely attributed to the promoter who who very specifically said this was a New Japan show. Starr, Brookes, Walter and Aussie Open may be fantastic but no one ordered them.