NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Does anyone here watch the young Lions project shows? Are the hardcam low quality rubbish or fun stuff? I enjoy watching the youngboys opening on the smaller shows sometimes

Usually a little more exciting than the main show openers. You'l tend to get a couple of black trunk dropkick-and-bostoncrabbers to open up, then three matches with a mix of the Nagata generation and people from other indy groups, with the young boys getting a chance to show a bit more. It's usually done within two hours or less. Tomorrow's show has one of the usual NJPW openers in Shota Umino doing a main event against a guy from Taka Michinoku's promotion.

1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

Chances are Umino gets Danny Duggan who has been through the LA Dojo.

Aussie Open have been doing some really good work around the UK scene and Mark Davies especially should fit in really well.

David Starr and Walter are two of the very best independent wrestlers in the world right now. If anyone can pull good singles matches out of Tiger and Nagata it's these two. Walter is basically a dream match for Nagata right now and I'd be as happy to see Starr in singles action as I am to see him mix with Ishimori in the 4 way.

Has it occurred to you that maybe Gedo has had a hand in booking these matches? They use these overseas tours as way to give their talent fresh matches and to scout new guys. No shows like this no Ospreay in Super Juniors or Sabre in G1. Brookes especially just turned down a WWE deal so it's very likely this is an audition of sorts.  

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel the need to apologise about fulfilling my end of the talent deal that helps keep my company afloat, especially to people who don't even take the time to find out about what they're getting. I said it before, a card like either of these shows was basically unfathomable a few years ago.

Again I will state the point, I bought tickets on the basis it was a NJPW show not Global Wars. I am much happier now but RPW's issues are theirs not anyone elses. I don't believe we should just be grateful. If you bring a brand you better do it right. 'At least we have these shows in the UK' is all well and good but come on do it right! I am sure they will be good shows but lets not blindly defend a company which has been completely unprofessional in its approach to the situation. A simple tweet in response isn't that difficult. 

I don't mind people from RPW and other companies being on the shows as long as its sticking to one match or maybe two exhibition type matches where they get their faces in front of the audience. Just looking on twitter I am not the only one that was miffed at how these shows came about to have so many GW type bouts.

I 'took the time' to see what I was 'getting'. They put tweets out clearly indicating that these would be pure NJPW shows and not Global Wars type events. I don't research The Foo Fighters when I want to see Metallica because I don't expect to turn up to get half a show of both! 

Not taking an issue with you at all. I have had my share of that shit on here over the years. I just don't believe in defending poor showings from people/companies.

Edited by Michael_3165

Kevin Kelly is coming over to call both shows.

That should make them feel a bit more like authentic New japan shows

I'm going to the MK show, whist I think it's hard to deny Manchester has the better looking show for sure I'm still excited and looking forward to seeing the New Japan guys in action and the tag Match main event will be great fun.

7 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

The card we're getting in Manchester is far more than a typical Global Wars show based solely off the fact we're getting an Okada singles match, against ZSJ no less. A match which has just headlined a big New Japan show. 

Wasn't Okada vs. Ospreay on a previous Global Wars show..?

14 minutes ago, firstnameunknown said:

Wasn't Okada vs. Ospreay on a previous Global Wars show..?

Back in 2015 yes.

I’d say Zack Sabre Jr has been the face of Rev Pro since 2016 practically holding the title since then only losing it to Shibata at Global Wars before winning it back and then dropping it to Ishii on Wrestlemania weekend.

I won’t complain about Okada/ZSJ being announced though, their match at Sakura Genesis is in my top 3 matches of the year so far.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

15 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I 'took the time' to see what I was 'getting'. They put tweets out clearly indicating that these would be pure NJPW shows and not Global Wars type events. I don't research The Foo Fighters when I want to see Metallica because I don't expect to turn up to get half a show of both! 

Not taking an issue with you at all. I have had my share of that shit on here over the years. I just don't believe in defending poor showings from people/companies.

I don't think that this is a poor show on RPW's part though. If you look at the ratio of talent it's still 75 per cent NJPW staples, of which I admittedly include Ospreay and ZSJ, because it's churlish not to at this point. 

The responsibility of any promoter is to make the best card possible with the talent available. I'm personally more annoyed at the presence of Yujiro and Lizuka than I am by any of the 5 independent talent I'll see on the night. They might be more 'authentically' New Japan but it doesn't make them less shit. Also we don't know who is showing up in the G1 yet do we? If Walter winds up in there then you've already seen him tear it up with Nagata. Good times.

Look at it less like 'I'm getting 25 per cent less Metallica' and more like 'I'm getting 25 per cent of a cool new band as opposed to more songs from Saint Anger.'

Edited by BrodyGraham
Grammar

As a fan of the UK scene, I like seeing our guys mixed in with the Japanese guys, as you never know it could lead to a massive opportunity for one of them. It’s just like it’s three new Japan guys and rest are uk. Don’t see why the level of hostility is being shown across twitter re it.

• Paid Members

I do think the shows were mis-sold, though. Saying "well, RevPro are promoting it, fans should have known it was a RevPro show, and that some of the talent wouldn't be there because they're booked elsewhere" doesn't wash with me - when an NJPW show is announced, I expect an NJPW show (particularly as it's using the same branding as the recent NJPW US show, which was a pure NJPW show, not a cross-promotion with a US partner), not a RevPro show featuring key NJPW talent, and the onus shouldn't be on the punter to research whether NJPW talent are booked elsewhere the night of the show when you're being sold an "NJPW UK Tour", nor to do the background research and figure out which UK promotion is footing the bill.

That the cards are really no different in style from previous Global Wars shows, that there are several big NJPW names absent, and that the only championships being defended are RevPro titles, all makes it pretty clear this is a RevPro show with NJPW window dressing, and I can sympathise with people who are pissed off by that.

If you look at the first Global Wars show, you got Nakamura, Okada, Tanahashi, and AJ Styles, which was the NJPW main event scene at the time, plus appearances from Liger and TenCozy filling the legend spots, and Anderson & Gallows to please the Bullet Club types. And that was a show promoted as a RevPro production. These shows have been promoted as NJPW events, yet there's no Kenny Omega, no Kota Ibushi, no Young Bucks, no Hiroshi Tanahashi, no Tetsuya Naito or the rest of LIJ, no Jushin Liger - you're missing big name draws, and some real core talent that, to me, if I saw a NJPW event advertised, I'd expect to see.

You can put a positive spin on it and say that it shows how strong the UK scene is that we can get shows with Okada and Suzuki and still be disappointed, but I do think the line-up is a bit of a con based on what was advertised. Particularly considering Ishii, Suzuki and Sabre were all on a standard RevPro show only last month.

Edited by BomberPat

Pat's hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, these are clearly strong shows - arguably stronger than most RevPro cards - but they are really missing some of the very top stars, and selling the tickets before Omega and Ibushi (plus others) were confirmed not to be there was a little cheeky. If it was a Frontiers of Honor type show billed as RPW vs  NJPW, I don't think anyone would even consider mentioning it.

Compared to, say, NOAH's first UK show, which featured Misawa, Kobashi, KENTA, Marufuji, Morishima and pretty much every other top star, I can understand the frustration.