NJPW World

Sphinx

15 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Shame he barely gets work in the US or Europe any more....

He has a bad rep. Even if he is decent in ring there are many just as good or better, to be honest I am shocked New Japan use him and give him title belts. People like Cobb or Walter could be the hosts in his place. 

• Paid Members

Top two matches were belters. Feeling really stupid for predicting Naito over Kenny now, because of course New Japan 50/50 had Omega go over to avenge their last match in last year's final. Just as Tana avenged the Suzuki loss, just as Ibushi avenged losing to Zack in the Cup.

Standings for the G1 after Night 5

These will be updated after every show.

A Block

'Switchblade' Jay White 6

Hiroshi Tanahashi 4

Michael Elgin 4

Evil 4

Togi Makabe 4

Hangman Page 2

Bad Luck Fale 2

Kazuchika Okada 2

Minoru Suzuki 2

Yoshi Hashi 0

B Block

Kenny Omega 4

Kota Ibushi 4

Tetsuya Naito 2

Hirooki Goto 2

Sanada 2

Tama Tonga 2

Zack Sabre Jr 2

Tomohiro Ishii 2

Juice Robinson 0

Toru Yano 0

Latest standings as of 20/07/2018

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Good start to the tournament. Tag matches were all solid enough. Ishii beating up YOH was great, Sabre inheriting the Michinoku Driver is nice and I'm still certain that WK13 is headlined by Naito and Kenny. All their interactions are golden.

I went into Makabe vs YOSHI thinking I'd hate it, but they did alright. Makabe did a great job as the pissed off veteran and YOSHI showed decent babyface fire. Makabe's Spider German is always great. Solid match that didn't overstay its welcome.

Page/Fale was alright too. Fale is my guilty pleasure of New Japan, the big daft idiot, and whilst I still couldn't pinpoint what Hangman's gimmick actually is, at least he's showing something resembling a personality nowadays. Solid action in this one, Page is clearly doing his best to get over with his athletic moveset. Thought the finish was wank, even though it makes sense in terms of developing storyline.

Elgin/EVIL was my MOTN. Just two big fuckers smashing lumps out of one another. Elgin might be a shitty person but he's capable of some great matches. I'm excited for his rematch with Okada, which is one I could see him picking up a win in. I hope they pull the trigger on EVIL soon, I know he held the NEVER belt for about 15 minutes a few years back but he's really polished now, and his character is great. Unlike Switchblade, he's entirely convincing within his role.

Tanahashi/Suzuki was great, lovely continuation from their match earlier this year. It felt short without feeling rushed at the same time. These two are so great at drawing emotional investment from the audience, and it contributes so much to their matches. Suzuki is the best sadistic prick, and Tanahashi sells body parts like nobody else. Felt like they'd condensed their previous match into half the time. Excellent, hard working match.

Main event was okay, but something just wasn't clicking for me. Okada's character since his title loss has been great. His complete loss of identity since losing the belt has been a successful change, but it left this match lacking a bit. Unlike the Sabre match in Manchester, White just wasn't able to elicit any sort of emotional response or investment from the crowd. He's clearly a good wrestler, and a wonderful athlete, but he's just not clicking. He still doesn't seem comfortable in the gimmick, and he still doesn't seem to be able to deliver at the level he's being pushed as. The potential is there, but the character work still lacks something for me.

22 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

No idea. Never heard anything to suggest he is but if people have interacted with him and have had that view of him then fair enough. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/pro-wrestling/indie-news-michael-elgin-removed-from-bookings-due-to-sexual-misconduct-controversy

9 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Ah yes the sexual misconduct that wasn't actually him and that the accuser has been completely discredited and is being sued for? 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Ah yes the sexual misconduct that wasn't actually him and that the accuser has been completely discredited and is being sued for? 

Seen the messages between Orleans' accuser and Elgin?

Yeah... he's a cunt.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

3 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Ah yes, I remember. You're an Observer subscriber aren't you? Or did you create the Tumblr?

What Tumblr? No, never subscribed to the Observer. 

If you look at all the facts (which are out there) and not just things Elgin is supposed to have said via text you will see there is nothing to show he ever sexual assaulted anyone or tried to hide a sexual assault and that his accuser has had every aspect of her story regarding him discredited.

Look I don't have a dog in the fight. I know neither of them and care even less but if you are just judging his character based on that article you have not seen even a tenth of the whole story.

Considering he is suing her for dafamation, she has a proven track record of lying, his wife is standing by him and people who actually know him and have been around him more than 2 minutes at an autograph signing are saying he's a nice guy I tend to prefer to go 'Maybe not everything is as black and white as 'He's a cunt'... but maybe that's just me.

• Paid Members

I'd rather promotions not book a guy who pissed on a woman without her permission. Total wanker,

Ibushi/Sabre and Naito/Omega were incredible. Really enjoyed Goto/Sanada and Ishii/Yano as well. Tama Tonga just sucks. There's an idea being floated around online that guys like Tonga, YOSHI HASHI, Fale and Taichi are actually good, which couldn't be father from the truth and just strikes me as being purposely contrarian. 

I've got the day off tomorrow so I'm gonna watch tomorrow's card live, even though it looks weak, and I'm saying that as someone who digs Jay White and has a invested interest in this Okada transformation. I hope they can pull something off as my expectations for it are low.