NJPW World

Sphinx

36 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

If I say "Yeah sure" will you shut the fuck up about Elgin and let us discuss the G1?

How is me asking about Will Ospreay talking about Elgin!? 

...and who's stopping you talking about G1? I hear Omega and Naito had a fucking corker.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

Naito/Omega was indeed incredible. I let out very loud "OH FUCKS" during that match whilst grabbing my head. I think I preferred Sabre/Ibushi though by a tiny margin though due to the great story (which Callis and Kelly really helped elevate) and the excellent chemistry the two have. Ibushi and Sabre both being graduates from the Handsome Man Modelling School was a bonus too. Also a nice little detail that the top two matches today were rubber matches.

Tomorrow and Thursdays G1 matches: Predictions in bold, points in brackets

Monday 16th July

Jay White (2) Vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (2)

Togi Makabe (2) Vs. Minoru Suzuki (0)

Kazuchika Okada(0) Vs Bad Luck Fale (0)

Yoshi Hashi (0) Vs. Evil (0)

Michael Elgin (2) Vs. Hangman Page (2)

Thursday 19th July

Kenny Omega (2) Vs. Hirooki Goto (2)

Tama Tonga (2) Vs. Sanada (0)

Toru Yano (0) Vs Zack Sabre Jr (0)

Kota Ibushi (2) Vs. Juice Robinson (0)

Tetsuya Naito (0) Vs. Tomohiro Ishii (2)

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I have Goto beating Omega or Ishii beating Naito as part of my grand plan for some rematches generated for the next few In Your Houses so really looking forward to that show!

Just finished watching Day 2. Today's show is the last until Monday, so got a good while to get caught up there.

Ishii/Yano was great. Yano's serious side worked really well, and Ishii winning with a La Magistral played into the story of both wrestlers showing different sides to their arsenal to counter one another. Low-key fantastic story work.

Tonga/Juice was lacking. Juice needs an opponent who can elevate him to bring the best out of his babyface fire, and Tonga really isn't that guy. He's really not a good wrestler. Dull as dishwater. Very boring match, which is surprising considering Juice was in it. 

Goto/SANADA was boss. I thought the match was really well paced, did a good job of showing off SANADA's athletic prowess and Goto's heart and mental strength, which put both guys over and made them both look like credible winners. SANADA beats Naito I think, hopefully setting the wheels in motion for an eventual face turn. The finishing stretch was great as well, lots of fun.

I enjoyed ZSJ/Ibushi, but didn't think it was as excellent as their previous encounters. The story dynamic between these two is always fun, and the way in which their styles blend together is always fascinating, but they were hampered by more than one sloppy section which took me out of the match a little. Still a match which definitely finds itself in the **** ballpark mind. Loved the submission where Sabre had both of Kota's arms pinned so he couldn't hook the ropes. Renaming the Michinoku Driver the "Zack Driver" is a bit of a downgrade.

Omega/Naito pleasantly surprised me. Out of all outcomes, Kenny winning clean wasn't one I envisioned. Again, a step down from their previous encounters, but then you have to take into account both those matches had much higher stakes, on a much higher platform, whereas this is the first night of a grueling schedule. These two worked so smoothly together, and have such a contrast of characters that their matches are always great. The Destino counter into the Steiner Screwdriver was brutal, winced for that. Excellent, intense match, whilst still not giving us everything they have to bring to the table.

Some star ratings which I'm going to keep trying to note down:

Ishii/Yano - *** 1/4, Tonga/Juice - ** 3/4, Goto/SANADA - ****, Ibushi/Sabre - **** 1/4, Naito/Omega - **** 3/4.

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm sure it has been asked and answered many times, but what's the deal with some of the Japs capitalising their names?

It’s stylisation of their names in order to stand out/look cool. Japanese doesn't use capital letters so they don't differentiate when using English in this regard.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

It’s stylisation of their names in order to stand out/look cool. Japanese doesn't use capital letters so they don't differentiate when using English in this regard.

Cheers for that.

Night 3 was probably the most disappointing so far from an in-ring standpoint. Far too much shenanigans.

Enjoyed Elgin vs Page, felt like something we'd see in the upper midcard of ROH, but condensed by about 10 minutes. Decent intensity throughout, all around good action.

EVIL vs HASHI followed the same issue I have with many YOSHI matches, in that I just can't stand the fucker. Nothing he does looks good. His selling is weird, his fighting spirit isn't convincing, his control segments have no heat behind them, and his moveset is downright lazy. Weird structure to the match as well, with EVIL working from underneath a lot more than I presumed he would do. 

Makabe/Suzuki was MOTN. Another surprisingly good performance from Makabe, though he had the perfect foil to work off in Suzuki. Didn't mind the crowd brawling in this one, as it was the only match where it felt appropriate in the sense of it being a fight as opposed to a traditional wrestling contest. Suzuki getting caught out again after spending too much time trying to wear his opponent down is a nice little story they've got going on. 

My man Fale! Okada's gimmick stuff is brilliant. Even the minute aspects of it are really noticable. He's doing a great job of presenting that he never cared about the belt, because look at how much FUN he's having now. Yet it's not that he's completely shifted characters completely, it's more like seeing a cheap imitation of his gimmick. It's great, he's managing to get even the smallest of details to appear meaningful. Okay match, which is the best you're going to get out of Fale. Interference didn't do anything for me. Didn't make me want to see Tonga get his comeuppance. Don't care about him enough.

Tana/White was a proper mixed bag. The heel stuff was basic yet effective, in terms of going after the leg, but then you throw in bullshit like White trying to whack Tana with the chair directly in front of Red Shoes? You've got a story to tell with the limb work, why bother developing that all match if you're then going to throw that weird angle into the mix? The low blows and chair stuff took me out of the match after seeing so much of it already on this show. The story of White being able to avoid being dragged into these long finishing sequences in favor of taking the easy win is logical, yet it's probably not helping to endorse him in the eyes of the Japanese fans at least. He still doesn't suit the big push he's been getting this year.

Elgin/Page - *** 1/2, EVIL/YOSHI - ** 1/2, Suzuki/Makabe - ****, Okada/Fale - *** 1/2, White/Tanahashi - *** 1/2.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

It turns out that Norfolk is a massive hotbed of New Japan Wrestling fans. I had three different people in some tiny coastal town comment on my LIJ t-shirt in one day.

I imagine they were all related. 

Good show today, really enjoyed ZSJ/Yano, cards for the next round of G1 matches below - Predictions in bold, points in brackets

Friday 20th July

Michael Elgin (4) Vs Jay White (4)

Yoshi Hashi (0) Vs Minoru Suzuki (0)

Togi Makabe (4) Vs Evil (2)

Hiroshi Tanahashi (2) Vs Bad Luck Fale(2)

Kazuchika Okada (0) Vs Hangman Page(2)

Saturday 21st July

Toru Yano (0) Vs Kota Ibushi (4)

Sanada (2) Vs Zack Sabre Jr (2)

Juice Robinson (0) Vs Tetsuya Naito (2)

Kenny Omega (4) Vs Tama Tonga (2)

Tomohiro Ishii (2) Vs Hirooki Goto (2)

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Day Four was great. Two fantastic matches to see out the show in Naito/Ishii and Goto/Kenny, both of which I had around the **** 1/2 area. Interested to see who they now have beat Kenny to give him a title defense on the way to Wrestle Kingdom, as I thought Goto would've suited that role perfectly. I'll say that Sabre beats him after reversing a One Winged Angel into some unreal pinning combination. Speaking of Sabre, his match with Yano was so fun. No time for people who think Yano doesn't have a role to play every year when the G1 rolls around, he's ace. Hated SANADA/Tonga.

Predictions for Saturday: Yano over Ibushi, Sabre over SANADA, Juice over Naito, Kenny over Tonga and Ishii over Goto.