NJPW World

Sphinx

I'm all for a Kingdom consisting of Omega/Tana, Naito/Jericho, Okada/White and Ibushi/ANYONE.

Amazing match, Not as good as their DDT match, but there's only so much storytelling you can fit into a 30 minute time slot without overdoing it. Crazy to think that we're eventually going to see them have an even better match.

Naito dropping a pinfall to ZSJ was shocking to me. I thought the story of Naito overcoming Tanahashi once again and then going into Kingdom chasing Kenny made perfect sense, but I'm all for Tanahashi trying to reclaim his status as the Ace.

• Paid Members

So, in 2018, Naito lost to Okada, he lost to Zack, he lost to Jericho, he lost to Omega, he lost to Ibushi, and he lost to Zack again. I really don't understand why they're making such a popular star into a loser.

Oh well, brighter news, from three more predictable guys to form a Kingdom main event, one half of said main event will be Kota (likely) or Tana (still possible) instead. What I love about New Japan is that while the booking almost always makes sense when you work backwards, often the plan isn't obvious while it's playing out.

Well, apart from the plan for Naito. Which is "fuck you, pal."

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! 

Enjoying yourself???

• Paid Members

The only two matches I watched from the G1 were Okada Vs Tanahashi and Omega Vs Ibushi. Two top quality matches and both were very different. I probably enjoyed Omega Vs Ibushi more, but that may have been because I had heard the result of Okada Vs Tanahashi before I'd seen it.

I don't watch NJPW but have decided this year to try and catch the odd match when I get a chance and go from there. Does Okada normally wear the long trousers? I thought I had seen photos of him in short trunks and usually with blonde hair. Is he going with a different look after losing the belt or something or is this a change he made a while ago? Also, if the double foot stomp to the back of the head, from a seated position on the top rope is tried too often, someone is going to die. My goodness there were some amount of times that I thought it had to be over during that Omega/Ibushi match. The springboard Rana and moonsault to the outside both looked incredible. 

20 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Fuck's sake - opened up New Japan World to watch today's show and there's a big, fuck-off advert for who the two participants are in tomorrow's final. That's Omega vs. Ibushi spoiled, then.

Happened to me too, never had that issue with them doing stuff like that before, still thoroughly enjoyed the match though..!

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, firstnameunknown said:

Happened to me too, never had that issue with them doing stuff like that before, still thoroughly enjoyed the match though..!

Yep, I was just now watching Omega/Ibushi when my Chromecast crapped out. Refreshed the page and there it was, a big banner for the finals. Ah well, I was really pissed off until I got the Chromecast working and then Ibushi nearly crushed Omega's sternum so I was sucked back in again. 

I'm very tired and not great with numbers but why does Ibushi go through for equalling the points of the others? All I could grasp was that he goes through as it's a tie breaker - but what was the tie breaker?! All I can gather is that there is a tie. Somebody please explain this to my simple mind. 

Great matches anyway. ZSJ and Naito have great chemistry and their interactions feel very personal. 

1 hour ago, Sexy Dad said:

I'm very tired and not great with numbers but why does Ibushi go through for equalling the points of the others? All I could grasp was that he goes through as it's a tie breaker - but what was the tie breaker?! All I can gather is that there is a tie. Somebody please explain this to my simple mind. 

Ibushi beat Omega, Naito and ZSJ, if you are level on points with someone the tie breaker goes on result of the match that took place between the two who are level.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Thanks! 

As a casual NJPW over the last few years, I have to say I wanted a lot of other competitors to advance to the finals over Ibushi. I get that he has something really unique and quite a story with Kenny - but I hope his display in the final makes me see what I have been missing. 

Hiroshi Tanahashi main events Wrestle Kingdom again. 

Seeing Shibata was a nice touch, I thought he was gonna get involved, no idea why he taped his wrists up. 

Okada has given Gedo the boot as his manager too. 

The Never Openweight 6 Man belts and Jr Heavyweight Tag Titles are worthless and should just be dropped.

So moving on to Destruction the headliner will be Omega/Ishii and possibly Cody/Juice no clue what else they go with, New Japan is so unpredictable at the moment.

Edited by TildeGuy~!