NJPW World

Sphinx

17 hours ago, air_raid said:

I've had it put to me that Naito will be getting his win back from Jericho at Kingdom because he's in the dreaded Nakamura "doesn't need the big belt" spot, underneath Omega v Okada. That leaves Kota as an odd man out, but I suppose considering he's not under contract, they don't feel obliged to full blown make him the fourth pillar. Not that it breaks my heart if he ends up with Tana, MiSu or Ishii.

Do you really think they’ll go with Omega v Okada though? I would have thought Omega v Naito and Okada v Jericho would be more likely. 

• Paid Members

Kota Ibushi has been ready for a year. It's..it's sad; Kota Ibushi is 205lbs and he's too big to be a flyer and he's too small to be a heavyweight, and for him not to be the 4th pillar is a travesty. *single tear falls down cheek*

Seriously though, Ibushi not truly being recognized by New Japan thus far as a 100% top-tier star is a tad frustrating, but we'll see how the next year plays out. I'd wager that the NJ office is probably a bit weary after the initial push a few years ago didn't go to plan.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Harvey Dent said:

Do you really think they’ll go with Omega v Okada though? I would have thought Omega v Naito and Okada v Jericho would be more likely. 

Okada is the main event of Kingdom for the foreseeable. It's Naito wins the G1 and Okada beats Kenny in between, or Okada wins the G1 and challenges Kenny. You don't have the boy eclipse Tanahashi and knock him off after two on top.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Seriously though, Ibushi not truly being recognized by New Japan thus far as a 100% top-tier star is a tad frustrating, but we'll see how the next year plays out. I'd wager that the NJ office is probably a bit weary after the initial push a few years ago didn't go to plan.

He's not under contract, it's that simple. If he committed to them full time he'd be the fourth pillar of their main event right now.

I really hope we don't get Okada/Omega at the Dome. I don't even want to see them interact for another good year or so now. They've got the mileage for another set of classics within them, but I don't want them to revert to busting it out when they need a big main event, that's going to guarantee a world-class match. Is there a way in which White costs Okada the G1, leading to them working one another and Okada getting his win back at Kingdom? I haven't kept up to date entirely with the G1 ending scenarios. Still going to remain hopeful of the trio of Kenny/Naito, Okada/White and Tana/Y2J headlining the Dome.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, air_raid said:

He's not under contract, it's that simple. If he committed to them full time he'd be the fourth pillar of their main event right now.

Oh, I was under the assumption that he was signed with New Japan considering he's not had a DDT match since March 2017 and he rarely works outside of the company.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Is there a way in which White costs Okada the G1, leading to them working one another and Okada getting his win back at Kingdom?

He'd be insane to fuck over his boss on purpose. He'd be kicked out of Chaos with no obvious allies. Although it would be a hell of a story for someone to abandon a faction for personal glory. Probably a bit too "sports entertainment." Also it would mean Okada not being in the title match at Kingdom. So no.

• Paid Members

In his post-match interview yesterday, Okada brought up that there's a chance he will be fighting for Jay White in the A-Block final. He said, if that ends up being the case, he'll have no issue fighting for his fellow CHAOS teammate, regardless of what he thinks of White's behaviour. He then went on to say that after the G1 though, he will deal Jay White.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying a heelish betrayal is out of the question but I don't think they'd do it in the middle of a prestigious match with stakes. The last one of those was Yujiro and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

How much of that was because it was Yujiro? 

Been debating this with Chase for a week. Like you, I don't see any way other than Okada takes the whole thing, or beats Kenny at King of Pro Wrestling. It would be extremely out of character for this company to do anything different.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I don't know how I feel about New Japan going to the Okada/Omega well again so soon after their last match. Needs at least another year of breathing room.

Of all the possible G1 finals, Tanahashi vs Ibushi tickles my fancy the most but my head says it will be Okada vs Ibushi. Then again, of all the possible G1 finals, they all sound bloody fantastic. We're onto a winner whatever the outcome, but I'd love Ibushi to take the big win as he's probably my favourite wrestler. Probably.

My weekend plans in llandudno will clash with the A-Block and B-Block finals so I'll be squeezing everything into Sunday. I'm going to muting the fuck out of anything New Japan related as I'm not getting to the final hurdle only for some imp on Twitter to spoil it for me. 

Edited by Accident Prone

Final Standings for the G1.

A Block - Final Standings

Hiroshi Tanahashi 15 - Winner

Kazuchika Okada 13 - Eliminated

Jay White 12 - Eliminated

Minoru Suzuki 10 - Eliminated 

Evil 10 - Eliminated 

Michael Elgin 6 - Eliminated 

Hangman Page 6 - Eliminated

Bad Luck Fale 6 - Eliminated

Togi Makabe 6 - Eliminated 

Yoshi Hashi 6 - Eliminated 

B Block

Kota Ibushi - 12 - Winner

Kenny Omega 12 - Eliminated

Zack Sabre Jr 12 - Eliminated 

Tetsuya Naito 12 - Eliminated

Tomohiro Ishii 10 - Eliminated 

Sanada 8 - Eliminated

Hirooki Goto 6 - Eliminated 

Toru Yano 6 - Eliminated

Tama Tonga 6 - Eliminated 

Juice Robinson 6 - Eliminated 

Final

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Kota Ibushi

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

They've fucked the dog for the biggest drama possible by having Kota lose to Tonga. Now Kota only has a chance of topping the group with a win against Kenny IF Naito loses to Zack - which he obviously will.

EDIT -

Not saying Naito hasn't got a chance but he'd have to beat Zack and hope Kenny doesn't win... it would be weird Kota going into that match fighting only for Naito to top the group instead of his other half, and not for himself.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

That small package was my favourite nearfall ever.

Tana in the final instead of Okada??? Okada's going into Kingdom as Champion then and Naito has to win. They're over Tana on top and Kota won't win, freelancers don't main event Kingdom.

NAITO! NAITO! NAITO!

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That small package was my favourite nearfall ever.

Tana in the final instead of Okada??? Okada's going into Kingdom as Champion then and Naito has to win. They're over Tana on top and Kota won't win, freelancers don't main event Kingdom.

NAITO! NAITO! NAITO!

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! 

Fucking hell, it’s gonna be Ibushi/Omega at the dome isn’t it, I shat my pants every time they both went to the top rope. 

After all that I see the Wrestle Kingdom headliners being Omega/Ibushi, Okada/White and I have no idea at this point what they have planned for Naito, ZSJ, Tanahashi, Suzuki, Jericho and the others.

Rey Mysterio is wrestling at the G1 Finals show tomorrow too isn’t he? Possibly a Wrestle Kingdom match with Will Ospreay? 

Right I’m off to change my pants.