NJPW World

Sphinx

7 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Is there a trick to watching the G1? Because otherwise how can anyone find the time to watch so many shows?

Which are the "must watch" G1 days this year?

Skip out the tag matches, and any tournament match involving Tama Tonga or Bad Luck Fale. I promise you won't be missing anything.

Working from home end of a week helped, I’d have it on in background and take lunch same time as last few matches to watch fully. 

The tage matches have little hooks for the next nights singles matches, but I can’t recall anything of note so if you skip to 90 mins into each night and watch the singles it’ll be more manageable 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Is there a trick to watching the G1? Because otherwise how can anyone find the time to watch so many shows?

Which are the "must watch" G1 days this year?

Yeah, as everyone else has said, it's not as daunting as it looks. It's spread over a large period of time, all things considered, so there's breaks between shows. So for example, you have 5 matches to watch per day Sun-Weds, then a couple of days off then back on for Friday. Skip the tags on the under card too as they're pretty inconsequential. In fact the only G1 shows I watch in their entirety is the final 3.

Also, once you get into it you'll find that there are certain matches you are going to skip due to not being a fan of the guys involved. From the start I was skipping most of the matches of five competitors, and I'd only watch them if they were in there with someone incredibly good or if the match had the potential to eliminate somebody. So I was watching three to four matches per day, which works out to about 2 hours per show.

So aye, very manageable and very rewarding. If you can't catch a show in time just do your best to avoid spoilers until you can (muting and blocking on Twitter is a God send). I had a weekend away during the finals but I managed to get home and catch up on what I'd missed before watching the live final the next morning.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Ospreay/Ishii vs The Golden Lovers was fantastic. Can't believe they had it on a 'Road To...' show too, I really hope they continue to put big tag matches on  C-shows. The other tag matches involving those four and their team mates are worth watching too. Loads of fun.

They seem to be teasing an Ibushi/Ospreay singles encounter too but New Japan have a habit of teasing pairings and not delivering so I'll tuck my massive throb-on into my jeans for the time being.

• Paid Members

Omega vs Ishii was a bit good, wasn't it? I actually believed the man could pull it off it off, too. Really hope Ishii gets a lovely top spot at WK. 

Where do we go from here then? Judging from the promo afterwards it looks like Golden Lovers in the World Tag League? Which means I might watch it for the first time ever. I usually skip WTL as I'm still drained from the G1 and I feel NJ-style tags tend to be laborious heatless affairs, so the inclusion of some top-level tag teams will get me into the spirit of things.

46 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Omega vs Ishii was a bit good, wasn't it? I actually believed the man could pull it off it off, too. Really hope Ishii gets a lovely top spot at WK. 

Where do we go from here then? Judging from the promo afterwards it looks like Golden Lovers in the World Tag League? Which means I might watch it for the first time ever. I usually skip WTL as I'm still drained from the G1 and I feel NJ-style tags tend to be laborious heatless affairs, so the inclusion of some top-level tag teams will get me into the spirit of things.

I got the impression Omegas next Title defence would be against Ibushi from that promo, Ibushi feeling uncomfortable cornering Omega whilst he’s the champion and instead going to commentary, Omega/Ibushi to headline King Of Pro Wrestling or Power Struggle? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I got the impression Omegas next Title defence would be against Ibushi from that promo, Ibushi feeling uncomfortable cornering Omega whilst he’s the champion and instead going to commentary, Omega/Ibushi to headline King Of Pro Wrestling or Power Struggle? 

The impression I got during Kenny's closing mic time for the live crowd was that he wants to face Kota again, but Kota wants to wait a bit longer. Then there was some allusion to a promise or mission they have to complete first so it makes me believe they want to conquer the tag league. Makes sense to have the Lovers go through the WTL only to fail at the last hurdle in order to add some fuel to the fire of their eventual second match. They've not spent much time as an actual tag team since their reunion so this offers them that chance before any more big matches between the two. Personally, I welcome more of slow build for the subsequent matches between the two.

• Paid Members

Bear in mind that last year they said everyone who already had a match for the Tokyo Dome was ineligible (which got round it being obvious they wouldn't win and get the tag shot), so if they do that again, Omega won't be in it.

If it's like the tournaments before that, you'd normally have the heavyweight champion team with a jobber to get round the fact they are going to have to lose some matches.

5 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Gedo turning heel to align himself with Jay White was a nice touch.

Jay whites is gonna be a megastar in the next coupe of years and he will probably be in wwe with the next 3-5 years or so... I enjoyed Today's show glad Tanahashi won and the finish of the kushida match was well done hopefully we get kushida vs osprey for the Jr title

Full card for New Japans American show on Saturday has been announced

ACH, Taguchi and Jushin Liger Vs Sho, Yoh and Rocky Romero

Christoper Daniels and Frankie Kazarian Vs Chase Owens and Hangman Page

Flip Gordon, Jeff Cobb and Chris Sabin Vs Beretta, Chuckie T and Hirooki Goto

Sanada, Evil and Tetsuya Naito Vs Zack Sabre Jr, Davey Boy Smith Jr and Lance Archer

Kushida and Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Gedo and Jay White

Semi Final in the JR Heavyweight Title Tournament - Winner faces Kushida at King Of Pro Wrestling

Will Ospreay Vs Marty Scurll

IWGP Tag Team Championship Match

The Young Bucks(c) Vs Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa

IWGP US Championship Match

Juice Robinson(c) Vs Cody

Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada Vs Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega

Edited by TildeGuy~!