The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

I’m currently in a debate with a few folk on Twitter and I’d like to get the general consensus here - asking for a sample of a beer before buying a pint, acceptable or not?

Quite honestly, I’ve never ever been in a pub who aren’t happy to give you a sample so I’ve always assumed this was very common practice, but I’m in the minority by far in this Twitter thread with the vast majority sayings it’s completely unacceptable and you should just buy something and accept the consequences if you don’t like it.

4 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I’m currently in a debate with a few folk on Twitter and I’d like to get the general consensus here - asking for a sample of a beer before buying a pint, acceptable or not?

Quite honestly, I’ve never ever been in a pub who aren’t happy to give you a sample so I’ve always assumed this was very common practice, but I’m in the minority by far in this Twitter thread with the vast majority sayings it’s completely unacceptable and you should just buy something and accept the consequences if you don’t like it.

Completely acceptable and common practice these days. 

You get a shots worth at most. You're not exactly asking for a free pint are you?

• Paid Members

Yeah, more than acceptable. I often won’t if it’s a standard ale, IPA or the likes as the chances are I’ll be able to drink even if I don’t love it. I’m a bit more fickle when it comes to stouts and sours so I’ll always ask to try before I buy. 

• Paid Members

Someone I was with did it in a Wetherspoons after we'd been on a horrible 2 day session and it upset me and gave me the fear so I had to leave. It's not something I would do, but I don't have as much of a problem with it when not emotionally unstable. But as I said at the time, "you know what fucking Abbot tastes like!"

50 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Someone I was with did it in a Wetherspoons after we'd been on a horrible 2 day session and it upset me and gave me the fear so I had to leave. It's not something I would do, but I don't have as much of a problem with it when not emotionally unstable. But as I said at the time, "you know what fucking Abbot tastes like!"

My local 'spoons has offered it a few times, but they often have a range of dirt cheap local ales.

A sample? Yes, by all means. 2? Yeah. 3. Just about. Any more than 3? Either buy a pint/half or just fuck off.

We barred a guy a few years ago for trying to consistently scam staff into essentially giving him a free half via means of excessive sampling.

There's also nowt worse than being 3 deep at the bar and getting lumbered with some knobber who 'can't remember what Ruddles tastes like'.

Shit, Geoff. It tastes like shit.

Glad to hear I’ve not been doing pubs wrong this entire time! I must have stumbled upon a particularly irritable section of Twitter.

It has, however, reminded me of a work’s Christmas party a few years ago where a colleague drank one of those mason jars of beer they keep out to show the colour because he thought it was a sample. I dread to think how long it’d been sat out for.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on non or low alcoholic beers? I’m really getting into them at the moment.

I’m a big fan of Guinness 0.0! There are some issues with it in terms of a direct comparison to the classic Guinness draught cans but I definitely feel an authentic Guinness taste from it. Also tried Pine Trail pale ale from Big Drop Brewing Co last week at the pub and it was delicious.

• Paid Members

Any pub that doesn't happily offer a taster is a shit pub IMO. By the same token, don't be a dick in the way others have described here already.

NoLo (non alcoholic, low alcohol) beers have come on leaps and bounds the last couple of years IMO. Lucky Saint is a particularly good one. Lots of people seem to praise the Guinness but I don't love it myself. Big Drop are really good too, yeah. If you can bring yourself to drink Brewdog, Hazy AF, Punk AF and Lost AF are all decent. 

If you want and expect a taster you’re a real ale twat and deserve all the scorn and contempt you get. Get your pint and fuck off. A pint of your strongest continental lager please chief, I’ve made my decision and will accept the consequences. 

• Moderators

I think for most of the time people asking for beer samplers are just pandering to real ale twat type behaviour, in a way trying to copy wine tasting. At the end of the day its just a pint...if you don't like it then it's a few quid and not the end of the world and you know not to get it again.

As someone who pretty much exclusively drinks lager (when drinking alcohol, not just in general because that would be mental), I have to say I love living in the Czech Republic.

You just go into a bar or restaurant, it's always table service and if you order a beer they bring you a nice pint (well, half a litre) of whatever they have on tap. Usually Pilsner Urquell, Kozel, Gambrinus, Budvar or Bernard, all of which I greatly enjoy. 

I do like a Mexican lager/cerveza, too, and happily a lot of the supermarkets around here have them in bottle form every now and again when they do theme weeks (like those beautiful little bastards Lidl do). 

Oh, and if I'm getting one from a pub or restaurant around my way it's usually between £1-1.50.

Bliss. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, neil said:

I think for most of the time people asking for beer samplers are just pandering to real ale twat type behaviour, in a way trying to copy wine tasting. At the end of the day its just a pint...if you don't like it then it's a few quid and not the end of the world and you know not to get it again.

A few quid? Where are you drinking? 1997?