The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If anyone needs something in for Christmas and New year Nottingham brewery do their full range in 10 liter bag in a box delivered. 

It was always a highlight when I'd see Nottingham brewery beers creep south enough to get in a local, the whole range is great, and the price per pints fair. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.flavourly.com/

I've been a fan of this crowd, Flavourly, for a while. I came across them via an ad on Instagram, and usually I don't pay much heed and scroll past, but I decided to check them out. 

They had a really good introductory offer through the ad (which a lot of companies usually do as you'll know) but so many offer a great discount, in order to keep you on a subscription. This was a one off purchase. They have a really nice mix of IPA's, Lager's, Stout's, Red Ale's etc from different breweries around the UK. 

I thought it would probably be a one and done purchase, however I've bought from them regularly since as they will bombard you with offers via e-mail once you buy from them once. Usually limited supply offers, but it's good value, especially for something that will be at your door in 2-3 days. They have some tasty stuff, and are well worth a look. 

I'm a big fan of Brew York, they're up there with Tiny Rebel when it comes to a wide range of really drinkable flavoured beers in a variety of styles.

Had 'When Lemons Give You Life', which is a Lemon Meringue Milkshake IPA. Smooth, hoppy and zesty as fuck. It's a really exciting beer if you can find it.

Also had Siren's 'Carribean Chocolate Cake Nitro Edition'. Really smooth and rich Carribbean style stout. Bizarrely it's the only time I've been aware of the yeast in a beer. The bottom of the can had a weird, though not unpleasant marmitey aroma.

• Paid Members

There's a nice brewery in Wood Green called The Goodness that does a Yes! IPA, which is really good. Just easily drinkable and light.

They also do a charming concept called Wood Green Hopping City (after the Shopping City mall in the area). They get various people to grow hops in their gardens, in allotments, and in planters in the railway station. Then they harvest them all and make a beer. So it's a limited run, and rather different each time. It's a better concept than a beer - it's a bit flat but drinkable enough. A few of the local pubs are selling it as a delivery option in growlers. So I'll be drinking that during the Royal Rumble Quiz in a bit.

20210131_191634.thumb.jpg.e878b3fc0bbd1575a17810f99dee9985.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Hope you’re all good. Thought I’d post the following. I’ve been doing a bit of design work with a brewery and there’s a chance I’ll be starting some new and exciting work with them in September. I’ll bring it up at the time providing it all goes to plan.

In the meantime, I thought I’d share something I’ve been doing. A few years back I had to give up drinking due to health reasons. At the time I was a full on craft wanker and was fully in to finding new bars, pubs, breweries and craft beer. I loved it and released some craft pales as part of the events I was running, that alongside the fact my dad has worked in the brewery trade for approx 30 years, with me accompanying him as a nipper to his rep calls, helping to fit lines and pythons, spending a lot of time in rural pubs, it’s in the blood.

Fir the last 3 years I’ve been purely on alcohol free (AF) beers. When I started drinking it, it was shit, I was gutted by the crap range and quality available, but I had to crack on, and it’s eventually pulling off.

I’ve travelled across the north east, parts of the U.K. and some Europe, hunting and sampling AF craft. I’ve been making notes of where sells it, who makes it and my opinion of its quality. It gets a good score if it not only tastes good, but also tastes similar to an alcoholic counterpart. 

Sons of the discussions I’ve had with bars and bottle shops have lead them to start stocking AF options, which I’m personally chuffed about. You don’t have to be a recovering alcoholic, pregnant, religious, driving etc to want to drink AF. You might just want to break up a day long session without reverting to soft drinks. Everyone has their reasons, but it’s nice that there’s options for quality tasting options now.

Long story short, I’ve set up a FB group for people to discuss their findings. You can order loads from websites now anyway, but it’s obviously great to know you can find it when out and about. It’s a spanking new group but people seem keen. So if any of you are interested in AF, or are happy to post, feel free to pop on an check it out.

FB - Sans Alc group  

I’m also posting stuff on Insta too if you’re bothered (IG: sans_alc). 

I’ll finish off by saying, I’ll be making a best of the month top 5 kinda thing. Both of these will make the list and were supped during the England vs Denmark game. Both high quality.
Big Drop’s Double Strike sour (Eng)   
Mikkeller’s Weird Weather (Den)

BFAFA25E-5460-406C-8D36-C746EC2EFDB6.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Have just given the group a join/like/whatever!

I'm actually off to an AF festival of sorts today, Wise Bartender are doing their pop-up bar (6 taps) & selling cans/bottles too from their HQ in Evercreech, Somerset. By coincidence we have been visiting my wife's sister in Bristol this week so popping down to give it a look.

I also enjoyed 2 lovely pints of Butcombe Brewery's AF offering (forget the name) whilst down here thanks to this map:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

I've recently made my own home brew (an IPA) and followed all of the steps in the kit, added everything at the right times and quantities etc but it's flat as fuck.

Where have I gone wrong? And is there anything I can do to it/add to it to salvage it?

Have you bottled it or got it in a home brew barrel?

A bit of sugar and yeast to prime bottles before you cap can help add life. Not much you can do now though (all though it will have less life in the fridge than out). Be careful though, too much and they explode.

If it's a home brew barrel you can normally pep it up with CO2 cartridges, they have a little valve on top to push the canister onto.

Just now, Tommy! said:

Have you bottled it or got it in a home brew barrel?

A bit of sugar and yeast to prime bottles before you cap can help add life. Not much you can do now though (all though it will have less life in the fridge than out). Be careful though, too much and they explode.

If it's a home brew barrel you can normally pep it up with CO2 cartridges, they have a little valve on top to push the canister onto.

Cheers Tommy! I've got it in a home brew barrel at the moment. It tastes absolutely fine but it's just flat.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Cheers Tommy! I've got it in a home brew barrel at the moment. It tastes absolutely fine but it's just flat.

Something like this might help

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/CO2_Bulbs_Box_of_10.html

For next time some priming sugar or carbonation drops before conditioning should help give a second fermentation, but I've always found my home brew on the lifeless side so I'm far from an expert. I've never used drops but it's just a sugar cube to save measuring essentially.

You can start conditioning before the first fermentation is finished, but it needs more messing with hydrometers risks a popped top as well as it more likely to have a yeast flavour hanging around in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I kegged some homebrew for the first time last week, a 5.3% hazy IPA with citra, mosaic, simcoe and azacca hops. The appearance and aroma turned out exactly as hoped, really nice peach and grapefruit aroma, but unfortunately was a little more bitter and a little less "juicy" than I was expecting. Nonetheless, it was a lovely drop, super easy to drink, and all 32 pints disappeared within 3 hours at my birthday BBQ to fairly unanimous critical acclaim so I'll take that.

beer.jpg