The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 11/21/2022 at 5:14 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Fantastic, thanks for that!

One of the easiest things you can do to make those kits better is to swap out the yeast that comes with it for something better that you know will be fresher. Something like this:

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/beer-yeasts/products/safale-s04-beer-yeast-sachet

Those kits tend to hang around on the shelf a while and that doesn't do a lot of favours for the yeast. Often by simply upgrading to something a little better, you can get a much nicer result at the end.

Edited by Chunk

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Dig Brew in Brum have gone under, a real shame as they were a great little brewery in the area.

That's really shit. Ordered some beers from them during lockdown and they had really cool, unique packaging with proper melted wax tops on what looked like medicine bottles and really excellent beers. Seemed like good people running it too. 

49 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Dig Brew in Brum have gone under, a real shame as they were a great little brewery in the area.

While it is a shame I'm not really surprised. The only time I saw any of their beers up here they were insanely priced and had very little fanfare.

I think over the next year or so we're going to see a fair few breweries disappear. The industry seems more trend based than ever and I don't think it's helping anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

So since I am in the Scottish craft beer community I'll throw in my two cents since the last 7 years.

I am still a Brewdog Equity Punk Shareholder. All the James Watt shenanigans last year or so has made me fall out of love with the company. The bar staff are lovely in the local Glasgow bars but they have a fanny of an owner same as Wether. 

It's also scary to see a lot of the smaller independent breweries going under and I fear it may happen up here in Scotland. 

Im working on a project saying craft beer is for everyone. These will be LGBTQIA+ beer meet ups in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Paisley and St Andrews. 

My venues for Dundee, Glasgow, Perth and Paisley are confirmed with the last few being tied up in the coming weeks. Then I can finalise the dates.

No ticket just sign up on meetup website. 

Wanting to get myself to Manchester again soon to enjoy the beer scene there it's great. What's good since I was last there three years ago?