The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Anyone tried this? Moretti with salt in. It sounds well shit and I have no intention of purchasing it, but am interested if anyone can confirm it's as bad as I imagine.

crop.jpg.48994c7889f71544ff919992134a641c.jpg

I've not tried it, but salt is used in some beer styles to varying degrees of success. The goze beers being the main style, and Wild Beers 'Sleeping Lemons' is my favourite of them.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I just discovered one here on the south coast.  Went to a pub in Worthing that had Harveys ales on tap, and they have two in this category - 

https://harveys.org.uk/beer/dark-mild
https://harveys.org.uk/beer/old-ale

I had the latter, it's marvellous.  A bit more bite than a very mild mild, but still malty and smooth.

Old Ale is a separate style to mild but your right it's a rare but welcome sight. I love the slightly sour taste.

5 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Old Ale is a separate style to mild but your right it's a rare but welcome sight. I love the slightly sour taste.

Yeah it’s not a mild but it’s similar and very nice.  I’m going to track down their proper mild to see what that's like.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Loki said:

I just discovered one here on the south coast.  Went to a pub in Worthing that had Harveys ales on tap, and they have two in this category - 

https://harveys.org.uk/beer/dark-mild
https://harveys.org.uk/beer/old-ale

I had the latter, it's marvellous.  A bit more bite than a very mild mild, but still malty and smooth.

Most pubs in Sussex that aren't wanky craft beer pubs (so outside Cebtral Brighton) normally have a decent selection of Harveys beers on tap including those two. Lewes is a lovely day trip if that sort of beer takes your fancy, Harveys have a cracking tap room at the brewery too.  

• Paid Members
On 2/21/2024 at 3:12 PM, Gus Mears said:

Anyone tried this? Moretti with salt in. It sounds well shit and I have no intention of purchasing it, but am interested if anyone can confirm it's as bad as I imagine.

crop.jpg.48994c7889f71544ff919992134a641c.jpg

Messina do a version with salt that they sell in Sicily. Its awesome, but not actually from Sicily, despite them selling it there as 'home grown'.

Its not. Very nice though.

• Paid Members

I've been a CAMRA member for a similar amount of time and I've never been near a meeting or social event.

My membership lets me skip the queue at Norwich Beer Festival and not have to pay to get in. If I go to 4 sessions over the week it pays for itself. 

Sadly there is no festival this year as the venue is closed for repairs to stop it falling down. So membership is basically pointless. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I'm in Dublin for the weekend. The Guinness tastes exactly the same as it does at home, but I've finally had Beamish and it's got more flavour IMO. Wish we could get it over in the UK.

The correct order is 

Good Guinness

Good Beamish

Average Beamish

Average Guinness

Too many places are throwing out average Guinness for fear the yanks might not be able to comprehend taste.

If you can find a pub where the Beamish is flowing you're set. (The Lord Edward opposite Christ church cathedral)

• Paid Members

Beamish used to be a lot easier to get over here. Not everywhere, mind, but it was definitely present in a lot more pubs than it is now. Think I remember adverts on TV for it too.

Also TIL that the Beamish museum has nothing to do with the beer at all.