The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Chunk said:

A few quid? Where are you drinking? 1997?

2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Life's too short to drink beer I don't like, and I'm too poor to waste money on something I don't want. 

These, exactly. If there's opportunity to try something - anything - before buying it, then do it. Beer's a broad spectrum and even if the name/type/descriptions sounds nice, it might not be. I did my shit job for half an hour to pay for that pint, I want to know I'm going to enjoy it.

• Paid Members

Surely it depends on the pub? If you're in a pub that has a load of wanky/varied craft ales on tap, then it' totally fine to ask for a taster because they are invariably expensive and often taste a slight bit unusual (sours, fruit beers etc). I suspect it's very much expected unless the bar is heaving with waiting customers that you might want to sample something that might be a bit of an acquired taste before forking out £6+ for it.

However, if you're in a bog standard high street/chain pub then I can see the argument for it being a bit out of order asking for a taster. We all know what Stella and Carling taste like.

Context is key I reckon. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

However, if you're in a bog standard high street/chain pub then I can see the argument for it being a bit out of order asking for a taster. We all know what Stella and Carling taste like.

@Slapnutwill have to correct me if I'm wrong but.... Christ, that goes without saying, surely?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

@Slapnutwill have to correct me if I'm wrong but.... Christ, that goes without saying, surely?

It was perhaps a slightly facetious comment about Carling and Stella, but I think you see the point I was making, the type of pub and what they sell is surely a factor in whether it's acceptable to ask for a taster/whether it's expected by the staff. 

• Paid Members
On 7/24/2022 at 1:10 PM, Slapnut said:

I’m currently in a debate with a few folk on Twitter and I’d like to get the general consensus here - asking for a sample of a beer before buying a pint, acceptable or not?

Quite honestly, I’ve never ever been in a pub who aren’t happy to give you a sample so I’ve always assumed this was very common practice, but I’m in the minority by far in this Twitter thread with the vast majority sayings it’s completely unacceptable and you should just buy something and accept the consequences if you don’t like it.

If they're a pub with a selection of unusual beers, samples are more than fair. One of my locals is both expensive and changes their beers regularly enough that it's difficult to have a 'regular' - and they'll actively offer if you're looking at the taps or beer menu. But don't take the piss - try one or two every few drinks. If you're at a busy Spoons and trying to decide a £2.50 real ale, take the risk and just order one. And then have a word with yourself for drinking in a fucking Wetherspoons and giving money to Tim fucking Martin.

Edited by Chris B

Honestly, if I’ve asked for a taste of something and I don’t like it, chances are I’ll probably buy a pint of it anyway because I’d feel awkward asking for something else.

6 hours ago, air_raid said:

Look, I haven’t tasted Carling since I was about 18, alright? It might be nicer now.

I might ask for a taste of the most bog standard lager my local offers tonight now just to see the reaction.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

If they're a pub with a selection of unusual beers, samples are more than fair. One of my locals is both expensive and changes their beers regularly enough that it's difficult to have a 'regular' - and they'll actively offer if you're looking at the taps or beer menu. But don't take the piss - try one or two every few drinks. If you're at a busy Spoons and trying to decide a £2.50 real ale, take the risk and just order one. And then have a word with yourself for drinking in a fucking Wetherspoons and giving money to Tim fucking Martin.

Or if you're in the Waterhouse in Manchester, assess the situation, ask for a sample (we do put some thought into what goes on tap), tip your bar staff and be comforted by the knowledge that you're funding my daughter's board game habit.

Yeah I don’t go in Spoons but I remember someone saying how they’re a lifeline for a lot of pensioners. They can go there for a pint and food for a few hours and it can be their only social interaction of the day. Plus the half a mile walk to the bogs will help keep them active. 

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I don’t go in Spoons but I remember someone saying how they’re a lifeline for a lot of pensioners. They can go there for a pint and food for a few hours and it can be their only social interaction of the day. Plus the half a mile walk to the bogs will help keep them active. 

Plus they'll feel comfortable in there knowing their political views are shared by the owner.

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I worked in a Spoons for about seven or eight weeks a decade or so ago and it was honestly like a creche for old men, especially from about 8am to 12pm. A lot of the old boys actually tipped, which was nice besides the fact we weren't 'supposed' to keep our tips (but obviously did anyway).

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Or if you're in the Waterhouse in Manchester, assess the situation, ask for a sample (we do put some thought into what goes on tap), tip your bar staff and be comforted by the knowledge that you're funding my daughter's board game habit.

The Moon Under Water on Deansgate is an invaluable piss stop between better places. Just try not to get legged up down the stairs thereafter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Agreed. It's like the birthday party a kid would plan if they had free reign to do so. Full of too much stuff, no soul, gimmicky.

Reeks of having too much money to know what to do with. I bet the beer prices are fucking ridiculous too.