The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

32 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I’d just like to thank whoever posted about Salopian Brewery’s Oracle at some point in this thread. Spotted it in an off license the other day and remembered it being praised here, and now I may have a new favourite beer. It’s absolutely delicious!

Their black label stuff is so good. Shared a mini keg of Luminescence over the weekend and it’s lovely stuff. 

3 hours ago, Chunk said:

Didn't they always do a strong version of that? They used to call it Marble Ginger 6 and it was 6%.

They'd do it occasionally at the Marble Arch on cask. The one I had recently was canned and labelled just as 'Ginger'. I haven't been in any of their pubs or tap rooms in years so I dunno if both are still going but yeah, from a retail perspective, 'Ginger 6' is the new 'Ginger'.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

Black Sheep chocolate orange stout is a bit dangerous. It’s not Young’s Double Chocolate but it’s good.

Young's Double Chocolate is an amazing beer. Haven't had it in yonks, need to go buy some. Not big on fruit chocolate, but in a beer sounds good.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for wheat free beers? I seem to have a minor wheat allergy that mainly rears its head if I drink beer or wheat bourbons (the only alcoholic drinks I can stomach in my weak and feeble state, I've been off clear spirits for over ten years and my body has been whittling down the booze it can cope with gradually) the bourbon thing isn't a problem because my favourites aren't wheat based (Makers Mark makes me suffer terribly) but the beer thing is. I  didn't make the wheat link until recently, I'd not touched anything that's served in pints since February but recently realised I can drink Guinness without feeling like death half an hour later. So long story short - are there any good wheat free ales? Ideally something like Bathams best (the beer that Robert Plants soon supposedly tried to recreate with a Beavertown one.. neck oil possibly) or a mild. I'd given up on beer but if it can be an option again that'd be nice.

3 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for wheat free beers? I seem to have a minor wheat allergy that mainly rears its head if I drink beer or wheat bourbons (the only alcoholic drinks I can stomach in my weak and feeble state, I've been off clear spirits for over ten years and my body has been whittling down the booze it can cope with gradually) the bourbon thing isn't a problem because my favourites aren't wheat based (Makers Mark makes me suffer terribly) but the beer thing is. I  didn't make the wheat link until recently, I'd not touched anything that's served in pints since February but recently realised I can drink Guinness without feeling like death half an hour later. So long story short - are there any good wheat free ales? Ideally something like Bathams best (the beer that Robert Plants soon supposedly tried to recreate with a Beavertown one.. neck oil possibly) or a mild. I'd given up on beer but if it can be an option again that'd be nice.

Bandit by Gipsy Hill or Celia beers are both decent.

You can get them in Waitrose, but the Celias are in the Free From bit, not the booze aisle.