The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

I'm at my local in Hastings right now and there's a tap takeover event on. Twelve pubs across town each hosting a different brewery. The imperial, my local, has got cloudwater. I'm in heaven. The New England IPA is astonishing. Frankie Crisp will attest to how good this place is. Me and him saw out a day here, I was so drunk I went home and pissed on a rug. 

• 4 weeks later...

One of the local bars near me - that are already well known for being more expensive than everywhere else - had a tap takeover the other weekend. Well, I say tap takeover, they bought a bunch of their stuff and only sold their stuff that weekend. I don't think it was in any way endorsed by the brewery. Anyway...

PAxCsqr.jpg

£10 a can. 10 quid for a can. Ten pounds for a single can of beer.

I'm a fan of craft beer and I'm not adverse to spending more than usual for a pint because it's craft rather than bog standard, but some places are really starting to take the piss.

Mental prices. Like you say, I'm not going to complain about forking out a couple of extra quid for a craft product, but £10 on a drink barely bigger than a can of coke is absurd.

On that note, what's the most we've ever paid for a single pint? Mine was this summer when I was in Oslo, and it started absolutely pissing it down. Me and my mate ducked into the nearest pub, and I offered to go and grab a round. Won't ever be doing that again. £9 for their house lager. Beautiful country, but fuck those prices.

All the Scandinavian countries have very expensive beer. Although it's usually very cheap in the shops though - well it is in Denmark anyway. I didn't pay it, but I saw a pint in Reykjavik for about £14. Although I'm blaming that on the fact that most alcohol was banned there until 1989, so I presume it's still a novelty.

When one of my mates was living in London, he sent us a picture of him having a half of a Salopian beer as he'd found somewhere in London selling it and Salopian is our local brewery so he had to buy it to have a little taste of home. He'd paid £6 for that half. We had it a the brewery the previous weekend and paid £1.70.

6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

All the Scandinavian countries have very expensive beer. Although it's usually very cheap in the shops though - well it is in Denmark anyway. I didn't pay it, but I saw a pint in Reykjavik for about £14. Although I'm blaming that on the fact that most alcohol was banned there until 1989, so I presume it's still a novelty.

There is a free English language newspaper that you can get in Reykjavik and one of the pages is called "This list will get you fucked" and is a run down of all the happy hours for the week.  Certainly saved a few krona with that when I was there!

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

When one of my mates was living in London, he sent us a picture of him having a half of a Salopian beer as he'd found somewhere in London selling it and Salopian is our local brewery so he had to buy it to have a little taste of home. He'd paid £6 for that half. We had it a the brewery the previous weekend and paid £1.70.

I didn't find Copenhagen that bad, actually. Certainly not if you avoided the main tourist areas (I'm looking at you, Nyhavn) - I think a pint of whatever looked cheap on draught where I was staying (a hostel where they had a bar open until 4am - swings and roundabouts) set me back around £5.50, which I wasn't going to whinge at considering what I'd expected going in. All the 7-11's you can find littered on every street corner turned out to be a bit of a blessing.

11 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Had a few people over last night, and we decided to open up the bottle of Snake Venom - 67.5% beer.

I expected it to be utterly terrible, but the taste itself wasnt unpleasant at all, though the alcohol burn was bloody strong! 

I think it’s got a nice nutty caramel like taste. You are right about the burn though.

Adding ice to it (like you would a whisky) helps.  

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Off to London on thursday for a couple of days to celebrate the wife's birthday. Can any London folk recommend any decent pubs with a good selection of beers, preferably with food available?

Also had a can of this at the weekend. Bloody cracking beer! 

If you're into Belgian beer, The Dovetail in Clerkenwell does very good food and has an amazing selection of Belgian beer. Fairly central as well, about 5-10 minutes from Farringdon station.

For something a bit further out, the Hackney Church Brewery next to Hackney Central do really good food and decent enough beer.  It's also next door The Experiment, which is a shared brewery tap between Verdant and Pressure Drop (at least I think Pressure Drop are still involved, the Verdant beers are generally better anyway) which is worth a visit if you can get approval from the missus. 

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Off to London on thursday for a couple of days to celebrate the wife's birthday. Can any London folk recommend any decent pubs with a good selection of beers, preferably with food available?

Also had a can of this at the weekend. Bloody cracking beer! 

Mother Kellys is always a go to. There’s one in Bethnal Green. 
A few of the Craft Beer Co. pubs do food too. I think there’s about 4 or 5 of them dotted around London. 

Had a go at making my first batch of home brew at the beginning of the year, one of the red ale kits they sell at Wilko. I was convinced it would turn out shite - I used the wrong type of sugar, and the airlock flat out refused to bubble for the first week of fermentation, but I was assured this was no issue.

Lo and behold, it actually turned out quite nice. The carbonation is absolutely perfect, and it’s so easy to drink. The only issue is that it’s not particularly flavourful, but for a first go I’m quite happy.

DCEBB019-5104-44-C2-BC03-2278-E660-E876.

I just started a second batch on the weekend, one of the Tiny Rebel Cwtch kits, and I’m already seeing an improvement - the smell is already much better and the airlock was bubbling within hours, so I know it’s all going to plan. If this one turns out OK, I’m having a go at my own recipe.