The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

44 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I was under the impression the original owner would've been Samuel Smith, no? Brother of John Smith? That's what I was given to understand, at least.

In all honesty, I didn't really know about Humphrey Smith until a couple of years ago, and it was a genuinely disappointing thing to find out how much of a shit he is, as Sam Smith's pubs are usually my favourites. 

Samuel Smith was John Smiths nephew. My dawn of time was a ‘slight’ exaggeration. Humphrey has  been at the helm for the whole of my publican career (I’ve never worked for them btw, just had numerous experiences, mainly with ex staff going to work for them) He’s considered a first class arsehole in the trade, and as I said, he’s slowly getting found out 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, thicko said:

Samuel Smith was John Smiths nephew. My dawn of time was a ‘slight’ exaggeration. Humphrey has  been at the helm for the whole of my publican career (I’ve never worked for them btw, just had numerous experiences, mainly with ex staff going to work for them) He’s considered a first class arsehole in the trade, and as I said, he’s slowly getting found out 

That's good to know. Sick of shit bosses and owners getting away with treating workers like crap, and the current crop of cunts in government helping them to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Went to the IMBC (Independent Manchester Beer Convention) for the first time on Saturday. A mate got us tickets a while ago & is crept up on me. I had little expectation & was staggered by how busy it was & how good it was. It’s held at the Victoria Baths in Manchester & each hall (Empty pool) had a different theme, with different music (Northern Soul, Hip Hop & one room was playing Horror movie soundtracks).

20181006_154913.jpg20181006_143558.jpg

20181006_120951.jpg20181006_123924.jpg

Not all the musical entertainment was great though.

20181006_115401.jpg

All the breweries you’d expect to be there gave a good showing with a couple of trendy US breweries getting big queues (Other Half ran out of beer early on). Cloudwater, Deya, Magic Rock & Northern Monk all proving popular.

Tried this gimmick beer from Buxton. A ‘soft serve’ double strawberry fruit beer with toasted marshmallows which added nothing but making some CAMRA types froth.

20181006_131258.jpg

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's a beautiful building, isn't it.

Tremendous. As the brewery stalls were mainly in the drained pools themselves the old changing cubicles on the 'upper' level were being used as little booths for people to sit it. Really cool.

That sort of beer festival is really divisive for me. On one hand it's great to see it bustling and so many small breweries getting attention. Then there's the downside of too many "craft beer wankers" and the opposite of the "wahey lads,lads, lads!" type. Although I do think this is more down to my own curmudgeonly state of mind, who hates going out and prefers old man pubs. Or the far more chilled out CAMRA events, though the maltings that used to host them has closed down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 10/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Well, my stouts finished. I added too much caoco so its a tad bitter. Also its hugely over carbonated and explodes out the bottle when opened.

Still a solid 6/10 for the taste.

If you get it freezing cold (not literally, but as close to that as possible), you might be able to lift the caps slightly to basically vent the bottles. Go over them with the capper, let them warm back up to serving temp and they might pour a little better.

Or not ... just thought it might be of interest. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Yeah, I took them down to 2 degrees in the fridge and still it exploded out so hard the flip top was torn off and shot near 4 feet in the air. My mate had one at room temperature and says he opened in the garden and the beer shot to his first floor windows.

Woah. Probably over primed them or an infection got in there and is eating through the unfermentables. Take care with them ... could be nasty.