The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I had one recently called The Devil Made Me Brew It. Despite the silly name, it's a really good stout, with a deep, malty, and almost savoury flavour. I don't remember the name of the brewery, but I strongly recommend it.

• 5 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Stumbled across a lovely one the other day; Hazelnut Mild by Brass Castle. It was a guest in a local and despite not being overly keen on most Mild, this was so nice and very easy to drink, despite its heavy content. Recommend it to anyone who likes a dark ale with a less-than-subtle aftertaste.

9 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Anyone do the beer delivery boxes? I started on Flavourly recently and love it.

I'm doing Beer52 and have been for coming up to 2 years now and absolutely love it! Managed to get it at a discounted price (£19 a month) for 8 bottles but considering the range I think it's a bargain

Shameless plug but if anyone signs up using a link then you get half proce off your first box and I get a free case of beer

https://www.beer52.com/join/73591/571baa4a1e0b8879

On another note, is anyone on UnTappd. I've been on that for a while and love that concept too! It's basically Facebook for people who love beer where you can network with friends and find new beers. Also amazing! I'm known as gaz2050 on that if anyone wants to add me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gaz2050 said:

On another note, is anyone on UnTappd. I've been on that for a while and love that concept too! It's basically Facebook for people who love beer where you can network with friends and find new beers. Also amazing! I'm known as gaz2050 on that if anyone wants to add me.

Yes I am but I’m bloody terrible with it. I’ll go for a couple of months of being really in to it then forget for a couple of months and so on. The amount I’ve forgot to add is terrible and beers I’ll never remember, which is a shame.

Anyway, I want to plug a local brewery for personal reasons. 

Mcolls brewery in the north east (Bishop Auckland). They are starting to get their beer out and about in Newcastle and the like now though after a year or so of trade. They do 4 in total, a bitter, golden, pale and IPA. Whilst I do like the IPA, I think they’ve nailed the pale. Only on keg and bottled at the moment,  it if you get the chance, give it a go.

Another I wish to mention is 2x2 based in Newcastle. Bloody wonderful micro, always trying new and interesting stuff. They had a bread beer on recently and it was absolutely outstanding. Again it can be found in Newcastle, mainly on draught. Give it a whirl.

My local (Twisted Barrel Brewery and Tap House) has just released a 9% raspberry and coconut Imperial Stout, I'm going to have to grab some during the week. It's a great little place which is now not so little, they just upgraded to a bigger venue and seem to be travelling their beers around a fair bit now.

I usually stick to the mild as where the hell else does a good mild these days? But everything I've tried so far has been lovely, and this is what they have on atm.

23632654_1969386276610369_51610401783020

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

My local (Twisted Barrel Brewery and Tap House) has just released a 9% raspberry and coconut Imperial Stout, I'm going to have to grab some during the week. It's a great little place which is now not so little, they just upgraded to a bigger venue and seem to be travelling their beers around a fair bit now.

I usually stick to the mild as where the hell else does a good mild these days? But everything I've tried so far has been lovely, and this is what they have on atm.

23632654_1969386276610369_51610401783020

I’ve had their Jack the DIPA before, decent double IPA, obviously pretty strong.

High Wire by Magic Rock is lovely from the can, never had it from the barrel before. I like it to finish off a session due to how grapefruity it is, it’s not something I want before having standard pales and IPAs.

That 9% you mention sounds a bit crackers. If you do try it, feedback on here Merz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 18/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, Rey_Piste said:

I bought some bottles of Samuel Smith Chocolate stout.It is fucking delicious and I am going to have to buy a case for Christmas.

It's lovely but I can't have more than a couple as it gets too sweet. Their imperial stout is cracking too.