The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Camden Town Brewery Pale Ale is probably what's kicking it off most taps.

Or AB inBev as it’s otherwise known (Budweiser, Stella, Becks).

Beavertown recently sold large minority shares to Heineken too. 

Get a certain size then sell up.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Or AB inBev as it’s otherwise known (Budweiser, Stella, Becks).

Beavertown recently sold large minority shares to Heineken too. 

Get a certain size then sell up.

Correct. But if we're talking about beer quality alone then I stand by Camden Pale as a recommended replacement for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Beavertown sold 49% of the business. So that's pretty much as big a minority as you can get. :P

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Correct. But if we're talking about beer quality alone then I stand by Camden Pale as a recommended replacement for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Beavertown sold 49% of the business. So that's pretty much as big a minority as you can get. 😛

Absolutely agree. Hells is a cracking mid range ‘craft’. It’s pretty much in the same tier A’s Brooklyn’s standard lager. A decent sessionable ale. 

I’m a bevertown fan boy and was worried about what the Heineken deal meant. But in reality I think the brews will remain unharmed, it’s basically just cashing in on Neck Oil & Gamma really, whilst BTown secures coin for Beavertown world. 

Anyway, if anyone’s a fan of Neck Oil I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy our pale ale ‘Moonsalt’ which we knocked out with a Flash house brew in the N.E. Nice crisp, citrusy 4.6% Pale.

We did a short run on keg, around 30 barrels and all have sold out in 2 weeks. Which bodes well for some can releases in Autumn.

We have a few interesting collabs upcoming and I’ll keep anyone interested posted.

6B70C750-E5AA-4A45-9C49-459414ECD3F5.jpeg

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Absolutely agree. Hells is a cracking mid range ‘craft’. It’s pretty much in the same tier A’s Brooklyn’s standard lager. A decent sessionable ale.

I'd go so far as to says Hells is the best lager brewed in the UK. I struggle to think of any that are better.

I’m a bevertown fan boy and was worried about what the Heineken deal meant. But in reality I think the brews will remain unharmed, it’s basically just cashing in on Neck Oil & Gamma really, whilst BTown secures coin for Beavertown world. 

I think the beer will stay the same for as long as it makes business sense for it to stay the same. In reality that probably means for the foreseeable future. That's the thing when you sell out ... as much as the company will give it the biggun about still being in control, they ain't. Even at 49%, Heineken will want a return on their investment and they hold the purse strings. The power is with them. Beaverworld (what a bloody terrible name and concept!) is probably just a bolt-on that provides a nice distraction. Basically it'll be a factory for churning out beer with a nice tap room. It's the factory that they wanted the cash for.

Anyway, if anyone’s a fan of Neck Oil I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy our pale ale ‘Moonsalt’ which we knocked out with a Flash house brew in the N.E. Nice crisp, citrusy 4.6% Pale.

We did a short run on keg, around 30 barrels and all have sold out in 2 weeks. Which bodes well for some can releases in Autumn.

Nice. Who's 'we'? Not heard of Flash House but that's probably just through being based in the south.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Nice. Who's 'we'? Not heard of Flash House but that's probably just through being based in the south.

Flash House are based in North Shields, a hub of cracking breweries. They tend to stay in the North East, just turned 2 so are on the right path. They make some great beer. Keep your eyes open for a Pale called Tiny Dancer. That’s their gimmick brew.

I run the Grapple Arcade, wrestling themed games events in bars and conventions. We’re at Wrestling Media Con next week for example. My family have been in the brewing industry for nearly 30 years now, so I’ve basically taken what I’ve learned from the older generation, and have started collaborating with Craft breweries to make ‘event’ beers.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Green Monkey by Joules in Market Drayton is phenomenal.

Not one I've had to be honest. There are other good ones, of course. I just think from a consistency and availability point of view, Hells is hard to beat. People give it shit because it's a 'boring' style and Camden sold out but the bottom line is it's just a genuinely great beer.

• Paid Members

I'm not normally a lager drinker, but I really like Samuel Smith's Double Four, which is gorgeous. Malty, cereal flavour.

Only problem is I'm having to boycott Sam Smith's at the mo, as the current owner is a workers' rights-breaching cunt.

14 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I'm not normally a lager drinker, but I really like Samuel Smith's Double Four, which is gorgeous. Malty, cereal flavour.

Only problem is I'm having to boycott Sam Smith's at the mo, as the current owner is a workers' rights-breaching cunt.

Current owner? Humphrey Smith has owned Sam Smiths since the dawn of time, and is a piece of shit. Everyone in the licenced trade knows this, he uses employment law to his advantage (has he ever employed a manager for over two years?) He’s slowly getting found out, anyone that endorses Sam Smiths and  has any idea as to how he works needs to have a good look at themselves. 

For anyone in Sam Smiths  employment, get out now and push him all the way to court because he will back down! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, thicko said:

Current owner? Humphrey Smith has owned Sam Smiths since the dawn of time, and is a piece of shit. Everyone in the licenced trade knows this, he uses employment law to his advantage (has he ever employed a manager for over two years?) He’s slowly getting found out, anyone that endorses Sam Smiths and  has any idea as to how he works needs to have a good look at themselves. 

For anyone in Sam Smiths  employment, get out now and push him all the way to court because he will back down! 

I was under the impression the original owner would've been Samuel Smith, no? Brother of John Smith? That's what I was given to understand, at least.

In all honesty, I didn't really know about Humphrey Smith until a couple of years ago, and it was a genuinely disappointing thing to find out how much of a shit he is, as Sam Smith's pubs are usually my favourites.